Writing Passionates discussion

Read my Story/Story Help > Story Ideas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 139 (139 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Roni, What the neck!? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Roni (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Hey everyone! I have decided to start a discussion about ideas anyone may have for stories(including ones that have already been started) that they would like to share.
One that I made into a short story was about a girl getting a baby sister. A novel I am writing is about a 14 year old girl and her life.

message 2: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I have been writing a, sort of mystery, series. It's about a group of kids and the mischief they get themselves into. My first story I have all laid out (it's in editing point.) The second isn't even half completed.

message 3: by Roni, What the neck!? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Yay!!!!! I'm no longer the only member. you can invite everyone you know if you want to join this group.

message 4: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Tess I want to write a book. seriously. but i'm too lazy. i have 2 really good ideas though.

message 5: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:00PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Hmmm...what are your ideas?

message 6: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Tess ummmm...

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I have a couple novel ideas. One novel idea is about a 15 yr old boy who learns to appreciate and have pride in his heritage and the other novel idea is where this college girl decides to do an experiment ...being homeless for a few weeks. During her experiment she meets a couple of people that help her understand the realities of homelessness.

message 8: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments How would she meet them I wonder?

message 9: by Ange (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Ange Hi. Im new and wanted to post some idea I have for pieces of writing.
For some reason I have been drawn to SCI-Fi, Fantasy type stories.
So I thinking I might write about a city where the minute one person dies, that same person is reborn and lives the life of someone else.
Was thinking maybe putting a twist on it. Where a character is reborn but still contains memories of his past life. So he goes on a search to see the fragments left of his life. Wife, kids, friends...stuff like that.
Dunno .. so thats my idea.

message 10: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:06PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I think that there is a movie like that. It's called 'Heaven can wait'.

The movie is about a man who is taken from life before he's supposed to be and is returned in another man's body.

message 11: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Sounds great though Ange. I've never read a book like that, it would be a great story.

message 12: by Ange (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:08PM) (new)

Ange Well its just in the thought area right now. I am sure there is a movie out there and maybe I have watched it and thats where the idea came from. I wish I knew what the heck to write but at this point Im just lost. sorry

message 13: by Roni, What the neck!? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

i think it sounds like a really interesting idea. good luck with it. :)

message 14: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:11PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Yeah, I would definitelly read the book.

message 15: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:14PM) (new)

Tess I have an idea... its Sci-fi i think...
It's about a girl (or a boy) who lives in a spaceship with a lot of people and thinks that is how everyone lives. They get a signal from earth. Anyway...at the end they find out they were sent away from earth because of a huge meteor and now they have to figure out how to stop it...
I don't know, it seems a little lame.

message 16: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments It's not lame, but it's to Sci-Fi for me.

message 17: by Tess (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

Tess I had a different idea, kind of like that, but it was more fantasy. Same subject.

message 18: by Roni, What the neck!? (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:17PM) (new)

that sounds really interesting. I personally don't like many of the sci fi books i have read because they are just too formula. but I like your idea.

message 19: by Kenzie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Well, fantasy is what I am all about. If you write it, I'll read it:)

message 20: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Light Bulb goes off!!. I got inspiration to start a fantasy series :).

message 21: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I'm working on the outline for the first installment of a fantasy series which i have yet to title. The series is about a girl named Iris who goes on this adventure to find 7 gems with the help of some friends. There will be riddles to help Iris and her friends to find these gems. The significance of the gems and what will happen if Iris doesn't find the gems , I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm also working on characters , and character development. But what does everyone think of my Fantasy Series idea?

DONT STEAL MY IDEAS GUYS...LOL

message 22: by Eric (last edited Dec 29, 2007 09:50PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments I think its interesting. I'd probably read it. Have you read much fantasy? It is always good to read a lot of the genre you plan to write. Not to get ideas but to see how a particular author captures the imagination.

"DONT STEAL MY IDEAS YOU GUYS!"

*Light bulb* you just gave me an idea for another topic that people here might like to read.

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) The only fantasy I have read is Harry Potter. But I have watched a lot of fantasy like movies such as the recent one "Stardust". "Stardust" is what inspired me to start this series. Specifically the flying ship.

message 24: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Isn't that a movie?

message 25: by Eric (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments Id suggest reading some more. I am not judging your writing ability, especially since you are published and I am not, but it couldnt hurt to read a little more just to see what happens. You could get several more ideas that evolve from it. Is what I am saying making any sense?

message 26: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I agree with you eric. I do plan to read Erec Rex by Kaza Kingsley. She is an author here on Good Reads. Erec Rex is a fantasy series. So I plan to read that before I actually start writing. In the meantime, I can start writing on my other novel ideas :).

message 27: by Eric (last edited Dec 30, 2007 10:48PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments Cool. Hope I helped. Look around on my book shelf. I have a lot of good fantasy books that I have read, am reading, or that I want to read. Erec Rex does look interesting. Eragon was pretty good, despite what some hard core Lord of the Rings fans say.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I came up with a title for one of novel ideas and I want to know what you all think. I know its my decision and its really about what I think but its nice to know what others think.

Title: Living Their Life
Synopsis: Melissa Stokes has to do a project for her college course and decides to do an experiment. The experiment is to be homeless for a few weeks. During her experiment she meets a couple of people who help her see the realities of being homeless and help her understand the people who are homeless.

So do you think the title goes well with the story idea?

message 29: by Katy (new)

Katy K. (twilightlover) I have great ideas for the beginings of books but my ideas get mixed and I cant keep my story on the right topic but I really do love to write!

message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy K. (twilightlover) you could make it so iris and her friends have people after her trying to get the gems to. the gems could be really powerful and whoever posesses all of them controls everyone in the world and the only way to destroy them is to travel to some far place put them in a secret temple. but thats just the sort of thing i would do.

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I do have something similar to your idea planned for the plot. I appreciate the in put Katy.

message 32: by Katy (new)

Katy K. (twilightlover) THANX! are you really published? Iv never really been able to finish a book that I like enough to match my high writing standerds :)

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I am published but i only have 1 book out and its just a book of my poems...not a novel. But I do plan to write a novel for next year, so I'm sure it will be challenging because now I have to take my time with it, think thoroughly about the characters, plot, setting, making so it makes the reader hooked and want to recommend it to others. I will also have to remind myself that it is just a rough draft and I can revise as many times as I want later. Its that perfection thing. We all have it... we all have an inner critic that bugs us as we write.

message 34: by Katy (new)

Katy K. (twilightlover) My problem is I have no time to write all the things I want to. most of the things I write are the things my teachers tell my to. I hate school sometimes. did you all write a lot when you where in school, things that teachers didn't tell you to write?

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I also don't have time to write. Not only that I don't exactly have a proper writing environment. Don't have a desk and I have to many distractions.

message 36: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I just have a problem with editing. It takes so long...

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Editing is probably gonna be the hardest part for me because I will have to take my time and read and examing everything.

message 38: by Eric (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments My friend Candice here on goodreads is an editor from my hometown. If you guys have any questions about editing, why dont you ask her.

message 39: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments My aunt and I are big time readers, so we know pretty much what to look for, then I'm going to send my book off to an editing company to see if I can publish my book.

message 40: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

hmm...I have a feeling that this topic has become forgotton and deserted...

message 41: by Kenzie (last edited Feb 22, 2008 07:46AM) (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments ...the fates have informed me...you are right Veronica...

message 42: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

yes...I am right. But now it is this group that is being ignored!

message 43: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Well, not ignored, just nobody has anything new to post.

message 44: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (KuNaan) | 3 comments Either that, or they don't want to post their story idea for fear of someone copying it. Question is, are you people looking for ideas, or giving a brief summary of the story you're working on?

message 45: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (KuNaan) | 3 comments If you need ideas, you could take an older idea and give it a twist (but not blatant plagiarism. Only get started with the older idea, not re-write the story with a twist).

message 46: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

This discussion is mainly for sharing ideas for those who want to share them, and maybe get feedback. But it hasn't been for people loooking for ideas, it is more of giving a very brief summary...like (this is just a random idea here, not really a good one, its off the top of my head) "My story is about a man who really really likes cheese. He is obsessed with it"

message 47: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments LOL! Cheese! Oh, like that one story about the person absessed with muffins. Or was it cookies?

message 48: by Roni, What the neck!? (new)

do you mean If You Give a Mouse a Cookie?
and If You Give a Moose a Muffin?

and that was a random example I pulled off the top of my head. I'm not sure that anybody has written something about a man who likes cheese...maybe because it wouldn't really make a good story unless you were a very very very very very very very very talented chilredn's writer.

message 49: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments No, Veronica.
That one story from the book with The Smelly Princess. The person obsessed with biscuits or something.

message 50: by Roni, What the neck!? (last edited Mar 03, 2008 12:14PM) (new)

Oh, your talking about Elvira Thisledown who is doomed to bake biscuts in Biscuts of Glory in Odder Than Ever by Bruce Coville

She isn't obsessed...but maybe you're talking about the boy...he is, but it is only because the biscuts are heavenly... and speaking of biscuts...I want some popcorn!

« previous 1 3