Nights at the Circus Nights at the Circus discussion

Overlooked authors

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maryanne (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maryanne Angela Carter (deceased) was an amazing author and yet few of my "reader" friends know her work. This is a quirky, poignant and sometimes dark work. You'll need to go to a good bookstore for this, Borders and such won't have it. This one is worth hunting down.

message 2: by Jenna (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:45PM) (new) - added it

Jenna Clayton I completely agree. Very hard to find, as are a lot of her books, but such an incredibly gifted writer. Her intertextuality alone makes this a brilliant read. If you enjoy this, you will also like her collection of short stories, 'The Bloody Chamber'.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I absolutely adored 'The Bloody Chamber' (bloody brilliant!), and was thrilled to find a copy of 'Nights at the Circus' at a second-hand bookshop: haven't started it yet, but it is in the pile!

Craig I had to order most of them online via Powells or ebay. I was also able to get a few from local libraries. She is definitely worth the effort!

D.elliott Agree with all of the above there is something very special about Angela Carter's writing. Her work is definitely worth the effort of tracking down.

Linda Kelly She is my favourite author of all time and I wept buckets when she died. Already have most of her books but have been collecting her back catalogue via Amazon. I think Nights at the Circus is my favourite novel of all time.

message 7: by Xdyj (last edited Feb 15, 2014 03:58PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Xdyj I think very few writers can be as original or as brilliant as Angela Carter. A few months ago while in China I saw an article in the local newspaper that mentioned Angela Carter. Apparently her works are still widely read at least among the liberal intelligentsia there.

Maria Giles-Holland My mum introduced me to Angela Carter's work around 5 years ago, especially the Book of Fairy Tales, and I just fell in love with her writing. We later studied The Bloody Chamber and The Magic Toyshop for A-Level English Literature, I could not believe some people's attitude toward her as 'weird', when she perfectly embodies contemporary social and feminist issues. Carter is one of my favourite writers of all time and encourage whoever I can to read her work.

Madeline Maryanne wrote: "Angela Carter (deceased) was an amazing author and yet few of my "reader" friends know her work. This is a quirky, poignant and sometimes dark work. You'll need to go to a good bookstore for this, ..."

Apparently, she is a bit better known in her home country, and more widely studied there too, which I was glad to hear.

Geoffrey Nutting I read The Infernal Desire Machines if Dr. Hoffman as my introduction to Angela Carter. It was an interesting take on 'linear time' with all sorts of allusions to other british writers. Being a man, I probably missed a lot of the 'feminist' slant to some of her writings. Reading 'Nothing Sacred'(a book of her reviews/essays) will help anyone know her life & views a lot better.