genre X discussion

2009 > House of Leaves

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
Leave your thoughts/comments/discussions on January's selection House of Leaves below.

message 2: by Mark (last edited Dec 27, 2008 05:24PM) (new)

Mark | 4 comments This book put to work the postmodernist toolkit I assembled in all those lit classes way back when. (I knew all that thinking would pay off somewhere.)

Reading (and not really understanding) Ronald Johnson's Ark also readied me for the text-play. (I swear the poem on the last page is a nod to Johnson.)

House of Leaves pushes past convention on how one can use a book and its pages to tell (inform?) a story. At times, I felt like I was learning to read all over again.

While House of Leaves did not give me nightmares, I did have a dream about the letter P after reading Appendix E.

Seriously, though, Gen X leaders, I really, really, really liked this book, but don't put me through something like this again. I don't have that kind of time.

message 3: by Monica (last edited Dec 31, 2008 08:17AM) (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
So glad you wrote here Mark. I really want to talk to someone about this book but Brad is refusing to listen to my ramblings since he hasn't started yet.

We knew House of Leaves was going to be a giant time commitment going in, which is why we scheduled it for our two month discussion. That said, reading this book has been a ridiculous timesuck for me, and I'm only about half way through. I can tell you there's no way I would be finishing it if it wasn't a bookclub selection.

I've never been more infuriated by a book than this one. I may be able to chalk this up to personal taste since postmodern lit has never been my bag. But sometimes slogging through 50 pages feels like torture.

Something about House of Leaves has gotten to me, so I don't know that its a 1-star selection. I think its well crafted, but I'm HATING it so far. And finishing it is going to be a stretch. But I'm looking forward to the discussion. :)

message 4: by Mark (last edited Jul 19, 2009 03:20PM) (new)

Mark | 4 comments Yeah. I think Jennifer felt the same way. She's officially called it quits. For me, it was all the footnote trickery and text goofiness that made it interesting-- fun, I'd even say. There is a hook there that's undeniable. For some, it's in the story; for me, it was in the telling. Looking forward to the bookclub meeting.

message 5: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments I am about half-way through, and I am hooked. I really like it. My boyfriend has wanted to read this book for a while, so now it is a group effort. It has turned into a contest as to who will finish it first. I kinda look at it like a puzzle. I like how it is framed, and I love the appendixes. All I can say is don't give up, there are parts that drag on and on, but when it gets good you can't put it down. I was so scared, I had all the lights on in my house. I can't wait to see how both stories come together. I really can't wait for bookclub. Also, I am not sure if you guys know that the book goes along with the album "Haunted" by Poe. My BF got it for me for Christmas, but I am not going to listen to it until I finish the book. He has it, and thinks the album makes much more sense after reading the book. Happy Reading!!

message 6: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
I knew that Poe and the author were siblings, but I didn't know about the companion album. Going to download it right now.

message 7: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments The only song I heard before was "Dear Johnny." I am assuming it is about the letters from his mother found in the appendix.

message 8: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 4 comments Mod
Yay I love that everyone can't wait to discuss House of Leaves!!! The very first library book discussion I ever facilitated was for House of Leaves and only 4 people came, two of which were my friends. So it makes me so happy that you guys are really anxious to discuss it.

I can't remember who all I was discussing Poe's album with at genre X, but I HIGHLY recommend that everyone listen to it when you read the book. She actually guides you to certain pages when listening to certain songs. She released this album shortly after her and Mark's father died and she includes a lot of old sound bytes from her dad. Its all very spooky and/or sad without the book tie-in, but when you throw House of Leaves into the mix it just makes it even creepier. Its a really solid album on its own though, too.

Crossing my fingers that my second time through House of Leaves will be as fun as my first...

message 9: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments I finally finished it. I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the ending.

message 10: by Desiree (new)

Desiree | 16 comments There are a few videos on Youtube about the Navidson Record. I thought this one was alright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyug0q...

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica | 46 comments Mod
Awesome! Thanks Desiree.