Fantasy/fiction discussion

a new fiction novel

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (last edited Dec 22, 2008 03:53PM) (new)

Tabby Ashley Nikkole Boyce (tibby_nikkole) | 286 comments Mod
Over 98% of the human genome is considered ‘junk DNA,’ sequences for which no function has yet been identified. Some scientists believe these sequences were once functional copies of genes that have since lost their protein-coding ability.

But what if those genes were simply dormant, and could become active with the proper trigger? And what if one of them, once awakened, made the carrier capable of things previously considered the stuff of legend—literally, the power of mind over matter?

The vision has haunted graduate student Jess Chambers for years—her autistic brother lying bloodied in the road, one hand still reaching out for her help. She was supposed to have been watching after him. Now nothing she could do would bring him back.

When Jess is assigned to work with a young schizophrenic housed in a children’s psychiatric ward, it seems as if her chance at redemption might finally be at hand. But Sarah is no ordinary little girl, and this is no ordinary facility. A shadowy biotechnology company called Helix has been studying Sarah’s remarkable genetic gift for years, enhancing and manipulating its effect, twisting something miraculous into something evil. But their plans have gone terribly wrong, erupting in an inferno of fire and blood, and Sarah has withdrawn deep inside her mind to a place no one else can reach.

Now Helix is growing desperate, and Jess Chambers finds herself in the middle of a battle over one of the most explosive genetic discoveries in the history of mankind. Every move Jess makes draws her deeper into a complex web of deceit, making her question her own strength and resolve, until finally she must make a choice; walk away from yet another young child she has come to see as her responsibility, or fight overwhelming odds to stop those who see the girl as nothing more than a tool that must be kept and controlled no matter what the consequence.

But Sarah has a mind of her own. Nobody can predict what she will do when pushed to the breaking point. None of them truly understand the terrifying power of The Reach

The Reach
trailer below
http://natekenyon.com/08/wp-content/s... The Reach (Leisure Fiction) by Nate Kenyon

message 2: by Randa (new)

Randa (crzy_chick) | 375 comments wow i want to read it now...it sounds so good give me tha book now....

message 3: by Izzy Nickole (new)

Izzy Nickole | 33 comments Mod
I want to read it too. It sound so good.

message 4: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

im trying to get this book, its available at barnes and noble.

message 5: by Nate (new)

Nate Kenyon (nate_kenyon) | 4 comments Hi Everyone--thanks for the interest in my latest novel! Please let me know if you track down a copy, and what you think of the read.

Here's the link to the trailer, in case the above didn't work:

http://natekenyon.com/08/wp-content/s...

Some reviews of the novel:

"Kenyon shifts smoothly between '80s-style supernatural horror and modern-day science thriller in this superb sophomore effort…Readers, left breathless, will hope he makes good on hints of a sequel."
--Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"Kenyon skillfully escalates the suspense with teasing snippets of information, including the possibility of secret parapsychological experiments, a conspiracy to exploit a child’s paranormal capabilities, and “the key to a new kind of life.” Those caught up by this multilayered exploration of trust and betrayal will want to read it in a single sitting."
--Booklist

“A superb thriller…”
--Midwest Book Review

message 6: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

thank you nate!

message 7: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) dude.... that sounds freakin awesome!!!

message 8: by Nate (new)

Nate Kenyon (nate_kenyon) | 4 comments Hi Tommie--glad you like the sound of it! THE REACH has been named a finalist for this year's Bram Stoker Award. I'll find out if it wins at the awards ceremony in June. I'm up against Stephen King, so wish me luck. :) I'm going to need it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

ho want 2 rp???

message 10: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) Good luck. I wonder if they have that book at barnes and nobles.... i could get my librarian at my school to get it for me. I never really like stephen King. And my b-days in june. lol. its the 4th.

message 11: by Nate (new)

Nate Kenyon (nate_kenyon) | 4 comments Yes, THE REACH should still be in stock at pretty much any bookstore, and in some supermarkets and Walmarts as well. If it's sold out, they can order it for you. It's a paperback, so it's only $7. A good birthday present. :) Happy upcoming birthday!

message 12: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) lol thanks.

message 13: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

lol yup yup. thanks Nate i really think that'll make an excellent book. i still haven't found it. :(

message 14: by Nate (new)

Nate Kenyon (nate_kenyon) | 4 comments Sorry to hear that, Tabby! Barnes and Noble had at least 3-4 copies in every store initially. Hopefully they still have them in stock. If not, there's always Amazon...or any store can get you a copy if you ask. Libraries should be able to get it too.

message 15: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott I will definitely give that a read.

message 16: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott It sounds like a good premise. I like good thriller novels. Stephen King was the master of that, but the thing is, he wrote books outside of the horror/thriller genre and was a huge succcess as well.

Nate, you sound like you have great promise. I hope your book sells like crazy and I'll pick up a copy whenever I'm no longer poor haha.

message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (notsimple) Same here nate. i hope yur book turns out to be a best seller =)

message 18: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott Sounds like he will have no problem with that

message 19: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) nope no problem. and i want da book... it looks good and sounds good.

message 20: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott I'm going to have to get some money. I have two books I really want:

1) This book
2) Motley Crue's The Dirt. I love Motley Crue and I just wanna read stories about them from a band perspective.

message 21: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) So where are you working now mr. Herriott if you dont mind me asking.

message 22: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

lol. wow. it kinna sucks that you had to teach us in a class full of rejects (Brianna and spencer) w/ no pay.

message 23: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott I will have to find a job and find a way to get into a teaching program. They weren't rejects by a long shot. I loved all of my students.

message 24: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

lol mk. thats great teacher ethics. even if they totally dissed you when they heard you left.

message 25: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott Well, I bear no ill will toward anyone at Pocahontas. They did what they thought had to be done. I love everyone there and I appreciate the opportunity given to me to teach a class like yours.

message 26: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) I head someone the other day talking about it... there are some rumors going around...

message 27: by Randa (new)

Randa (crzy_chick) | 375 comments wat kind??

message 28: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) bout mr. herriott and a student.... they are getting outta hand. but it was a preppy girl that said it. i dont know what her name was. i was headed to 4th hour.

message 29: by Randa (new)

Randa (crzy_chick) | 375 comments oh yea rumors = trouble and drama and wat is argued bout isnt usually true.

message 30: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) nope. He isnt that dumb. and well immature teens will be immature teens. I actually said something. They were standing still and talking. her and like 2 others. all i said is that they didnt know what they were talking about and they needed to stop spreading lies. I just got a bit angry when they said that. what was funny was that one girl looked at me and just stared at me like i was an idiot. People just dont know anything anymore...

message 31: by Randa (new)

Randa (crzy_chick) | 375 comments yea it is ridiculous how ppl can just stand there and spread lies and when u stop it they treat u like a dummy...and the preps at our skool think it is fun to make fun of ppl they just dont know how much it hurts or wat happens to the ppl they do it to.

message 32: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) But what suprised me is, im not an easy person to make mad. I rarely snap at people. But they were getting on my nerves. some said he quit to go into the army. i do not know where these peopel are getting all this at.

message 33: by Randa (new)

Randa (crzy_chick) | 375 comments it is called there drama induced imagination lolz
but they will do anything to just gossip and hurt ppl it is the way they work.

message 34: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott I never quit to go to the army, haha. And any rumors that have been brought up, please, bring them to my attention.

message 35: by Randa (new)

Randa (crzy_chick) | 375 comments yes, sir we will be your army to tell u bout any rumors..lyk lil spies lolz

message 36: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) those are the only two i heard. and by talking to you i figured you didnt run off the join the army. But really thats all it is. Is Immature teen drama. Mkay. i will keep and Ear out.

message 37: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

Roger wrote: "Well, I bear no ill will toward anyone at Pocahontas. They did what they thought had to be done. I love everyone there and I appreciate the opportunity given to me to teach a class like yours."

wow. words of wisdom. lol. i really respect that. i hope you find another class with somebody like me.

message 38: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) Sorry tabby. there isnt someone like you out there. Least no anyone that is a crazy. lol. j/k you know i love ya.

message 39: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

hey i embrace being crazy you of all ppl should know that.hah. ily too dearly not queerly how r you n kota?

message 40: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) ...... i was supose to break up wit em today, but i chickened out. i dont like hurting people and school isnt the best place to do it. i think im going to have him meet me at the park saturday so i can talk to him.

message 41: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

aww. i swwy try not to hurt his feelings or yours. y?

message 42: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) he's just too immature for me. and well he is a bit young too. i tried. i really did try to make it work, but there is a lot of crap i have going on right now. I make look happy at school, but thats mostly cause i dont want people asking me if im okay every three seconds.

And you know me. i wouldnt hurt someone intentoinally. I always try not to hurt the ohter perosn.

message 43: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) dude. im the nicest mean guy out there.

message 44: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott You seem like a nice kid. I don't know you personally but from what I gathered in that short instance, you're alright.

message 45: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) i try. YOu want to know what my fatal flaw is? I try to make everyone happy at one time. Impossible maybe, id like to think of it as a challenge. I just want people to be happy. well my friends and family at least. But in the end i will wind up making myself miserable. you cant make everyone happy and still be happy yourself.

message 46: by Roger (new)

Roger Herriott Yeah no kidding. I do the same thing honestly.

message 47: by Tommie (new)

Tommie (tommiewolfe) i think lots of people do. Oh and two guys were talking to a teacher about you. asking what you did to get fired.

Teacher didnt say anything, one of them was saying you harrassed a student and went against mrs. Baltz's lesson plans and stuff like that. It was at lunch.

message 48: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

Tommie *Secret Spy Agent* wrote: "he's just too immature for me. and well he is a bit young too. i tried. i really did try to make it work, but there is a lot of crap i have going on right now. I make look happy at school, but that..."

i know tommie

message 49: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

Tommie *Secret Spy Agent* wrote: "i try. YOu want to know what my fatal flaw is? I try to make everyone happy at one time. Impossible maybe, id like to think of it as a challenge. I just want people to be happy. well my friends and..."

+ u learn 4m ur mistakes

message 50: by Tabby Ashley Nikkole, I.Love.J.L! (new)

i try to make everyone happy its just too hard nobody really cooperates.

« previous 1