Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > The Year in Lame Band Names

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirk (last edited Dec 22, 2008 06:01AM) (new)

Kirk | 154 comments The AV Club's annual list of horrible band names has arrived:

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature...

Be warned: it's a long article (thanks to so many crap bands being on MySpace) and often quite offensive (because, ya know, rock is about rebelling against the status quo). That said, who doesn't want to groove to Bonghit Billy And The Ass-Crack Tassles?

message 2: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I'm not there are any good band names left. But a truly bad band name can be distracting, I agree.

shellyindallas Wow. There are some really, really, really bad names out there. I think, as a category, heavy metal wins for having the worst names. "How can we fit in abortion?"

message 4: by Kirk (new)

Kirk | 154 comments I agree, Shellz---apparently testosterone and wit do not mix. The lame puns are brutal this year: The Menstrual Tramps?

It's enough to make one nostalgic for the days of the Butthole Surfers.

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Ha. I immediately thought of the Butthole Surfer's "Locust Abortion Technician" when I ready Shelly's post.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The Melodramatic Theater Kid names reminded me of this gem from Gilmore Girls:

Jess Mariano: You got enough songs?
Dave Rygalski: We have enough for two half hour sets. What we need is a name.
Brian: I've made my suggestion.
Zack: Yeah, and we've vetoed the Harry Potters. Next.
Brian: So yours is better?
Zack: Follow Them to the Edge of the Desert is memorable and classy.
Brian: I run out of breath every time I say it.
Zack: You've got asthma, dude. You run out of breath saying your name.
Dave Rygalski: Yeah, Brian, we can't work our name around your respiratory illness.
Brian: Even without an inhaler, Follow Them to the Edge of the Desert is too long.
Zack: Yeah, but when we get famous our fans will shorten it to FTTTEOTD.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I love "Children of the Flower Children" and "Ogre Smash Death Boom", but "Dali's Llama" is just dumb.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Owen | 1 comments I could never get into the band Goo Goo Dolls because I thought their name was so terrible.

message 9: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17338 comments Mod
I remember being confused/annoyed by bands with one word names when I was a kid. The Doors, The Eagles, The Monkeyes. I took their names really literally and thought that they could have been a bit more creative.

I also kind of like the name Faster Pussycat even if I probably wouldn't like the "music" they make.

message 10: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments The Monkeyes?

If that's supposed to be "The Monkees", I think I like "The Monkeyes" better:)

message 11: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (shepo) A really good Cleveland band with the horrible name- The Slut Bangers
but they are good

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.