Philadelphia Goodreaders discussion

Philly-Related Literature

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

David | 7 comments Mod
Anybody have any recommendations for especially good fiction or poetry set in or around Philly?

message 2: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 2 comments I recently read Joyce Carol Oates's novel, Black Girl White Girl, which takes place in the 70s in a suburb of Philly.The school that the protagonists attend is very similiar to Bryn Mawr College. As a matter of fact, I believe Oates is a graduate of Bryn Mawr.

message 3: by peg (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:13PM) (new)

peg (mcicutti) | 2 comments I recently stumbled on this list of who-dunnits which are set in and around Philadelphia. Have any of you read any of these books?

Murder in Philadelphia

Cordelia Frances Biddle - author of an historical mystery set in Philadelphia.

D. H. Dublin - Pseudonym of Jonathan McGoran. Dublin is the author of a series of crime novels set in Philadelphia.

Scott Flander - author of a series about Sargent Eddie North and the Philadelphia police.

Leslie Ford - Author of The Philadelphia Murder Story, 1945

Mark Graham - Author of The Killing Breed, The Resurrectionist and The Black Maria which are mysteries set in 19th century Philadelphia.

David Goodis - Author of noir mysteries. More information and a bibliography may be found at Wilkopedia.. Another article on Goodis was published in Booklist.

W.E.B. Griffin - Badge of Honor series about the Philadelphia Police Force.

Jane Haddam - Series featuring Gregor Demarkian.
Robin Hathaway - Her sleuth is Dr. Fenimore who is a Philadelphia physician.

Solomon Jones - author of gritty crime novels set in Philadelphia.

Bill Kent - A series about Shep Ladderback, an obituary writer, and Andrea Cosicki, a consumer-advice columnist.

William Lashner - author of a series about Victor Carl, lawyer

Bonnie MacDougal - Author of a series about a Philadelphia legal firm.

Nancy Martin - The Blackbird sisters series who investigate crimes in Philadelphia's high society.

Donna Houston Murray - Author of the Ginger Barnes mysteries set on the Main Line in the Philadelphia area.

Gillian Roberts - The Amanda Pepper series.

Lisa Scottoline - author of legal thrillers.

Duane Swierczynski - Crime Novels.

The Philadelphia Police Department - Real crime.

Murder in Pennsylvania
Neil Albert - Series detective is Dave Garrett, a disbarred lawyer, who works as a private detective in Lancaster County.

K.C. Constantine - Series features police chief Mario Balzik in the town of Rocksburg, PA

Thomas Lipinski - Author of a series featuring detective Carroll Dorsey which is set in Pittsburgh.

John Luciew - His novel Fatal Dead Lines features obituary writer Lenny Holcomb in Harrisburg, PA.

Valerie Malmont - Author of Tori Miracle Pennsylvania Dutch mystery series.

Tamar Myers - author of a Pennsylvania Dutch mystery series (with recipes).
Sarah Stohmeyer - Author of the Bubbles series.
Barbara Workinger - Author of Amish Country mysteries.

Mystery Novelists Born in Pennsylvania

John Dickson Carr - Born in Uniontown.

Michael Connelly - Philadelphia

Kate Gallison - Philadelphia

David Goodis - Author of noir mysteries. More information and a bibliography may be found at Wilkopedia.

Martha Grimes - Pittsburgh

Solomon Jones - Philadelphia

John D. MacDonald - Sharon.

Nancy Martin - Dubois

Mary Robert Rinehart - Pittsburgh

Lisa Scottoline - Philadelphia
Sarah Stohmeyer - Bethlehem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This site is maintained by Linda Bertland, Philadelphia, PA. Please address any comments, additions, or corrections to info@sldirectory.com

message 4: by Ken (new)

Ken M | 1 comments Facedown In Fishtown, by James P. Miller

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) the oates book sounds good.

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim | 1 comments I'm new to this site and I love it, by the way. A couple of months ago I read Belong to Me: A Novel by Marisa De Los Santos. The main character lived in Philadelphia but moves to a cliquey (?) suburb and tries to fit in. I enjoyed the book and I could totally relate to several parts.

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) welcome! i'm pretty new myself as of a few days ago. that sounds like an interesting book!

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Heady (sarah_heady) | 1 comments this book is actually nonfiction, but definitely about philadelphia and definitely good. it's called Walking Broad and was written by Bruce Buschel, a former writer for the Inquirer. the author sets out to walk the entire length of broad street in a day and in doing so attempts to understand the meaning of Philly.

message 9: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth (marybethd) | 1 comments The Killing Breed, A Mystery Of Old Philadelphia by Mark Graham. And three Gothic Novels: Wieland, Arthur Mervyn, and Edgar Huntly, by Charles Brockden Brown.

message 10: by David (new)

David | 7 comments Mod
Hey, everyone ---

I just got an e-mail describing an exciting call for submissions from Philly-focused writers. Here it is:

My name is Christopher Munden, and I am one of the editor/founders of Don Ron Books, publisher of the books Philly Fiction and Philly Fiction 2, collections of short stories set in Philly by Philly authors. (See www.phillyfiction.com for authors, reviews, etc.)

Our next book, South Philly Fiction, is a collection of short stories set in South Philly, and we are looking for submissions. The stories (fiction only) must be set in South Philly, and the writers need to either be from the Philadelphia area, live or have lived here. Further details are on our website: www.donronbooks.com/submissions.html

Questions and stories should be sent to phillyfiction@yahoo.com

message 12: by Irene (new)

Irene Baker (goodreadscomirenelevybaker) | 4 comments Hope you don't mind my mentioning my new book here, even though it's non-fiction. If anyone orders it from www.100ThingsToDoInPhiladelphia.com and mentions in the comment section that they heard about it on Goodreads, I'll sign it. 100 Things to Do in Philadelphia Before You Die