Christian Authors & Readers discussion

Welcome to all!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Kathie (kathiemt) | 6 comments Mod
Welcome to all the members of this new group. It's good to see you here. A couple of you I know, others I don't, so how about we start with introductions?

My name is Kathie, I live in Melbourne, Australia and have been writing since my early teens. A poem or something I wrote got published in the major newspaper where I was living at that time and I liked seeing my name in print so I just kept writing!

In the 1980s, when my kids were young, I wrote for a lot of Christian publications and often had articles printed. Then I started my business in the 1990s and my writings took a professional turn, i.e. I began writing for business publications.

In the 2000s I discovered blogging and writing took a more personal turn. And then in 2007 I published my first paperback called "Worth More Than Rubies: The Value of a Work at Home Mum" which is a devotional study on the Proverbs 31 Woman combined with my own life story.

On the family front, I have 5 daughters (3 natural, 2 step) and a wonderful husband named Graham. I run a fulltime business at home and my children were the reason for returning home from a corporate job back in 1994.

message 2: by Grace (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Grace Bridges (gracebridges) | 1 comments Hey there! Good to see everyone here. I'm Grace, I come from New Zealand but I'm currently gallivanting round the world. Will be here in Germany till next March, then Ireland and who knows what else :) I dream of opening a Christian bookshop once I get back to NZ, but none of this kitsch-and-CDs-stuff for me. My shop will be for fiction only!

I've been reading novels since I was five and writing them since I was nine (but trust me, you don't want to read that one!)... my first book, Faith Awakened, just came out in the last month and so far most people have really liked it. Admittedly it takes a particular kind of person to enjoy a sci-fi supernatural romance with a Christian slant...

I'm a member of the Lost Genre Guild, where many authors from all over the world focus on Christian sci-fi and fantasy and encourage one another with a team blog and email list. We're keen on getting more of the Lost Genre out there - not easy when most Christians don't want sci-fi or fantasy, and the non-Christians don't like our spiritual angle. There *are* fans out there... and screeds of great books too, check out my list, all right?

Looking forward to getting to know you guys!

message 3: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Margaret Chind (cherryblossommj) | 1 comments I'm Margaret, born and have lived my whole life in the state of Georgia in the US. The only thing I've had published over the years is random poetry, but I eat sleep and breathe Christian Fiction these days with a little cross stitch and quilting thrown in. I just cannot get enough of it. I enjoy some contemporary, but mostly historical stuff, and I'm starting in on the Sci-Fi Christian Fiction tract only recently. I'm a complete book junkie and it is my escape and antidepressant. I currently am not working, but I have two degrees Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies and an Associate of Science. I think the dream is to open a tea house with a Christian Fiction reading room, but only time will tell. Oh, I'm 23 (as of last Sunday) and happily married living with my husband Daniel and our children two Cats, Hershey Kisses and Patches.

message 4: by Karol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

Karol Margaret, Grace and Kathie, I really enjoyed reading your introductions!

I'm Kay. I've lived in the USA my whole life, first in Michigan, then Arizona from 1992 - 1998, and now Ohio. I've been a Christian since 1993.

I guess my tastes are kind of middle of the road. I enjoy Sci Fi as long as it is not too strange (my favorite is Hilltown by new author William J. Rogers) mystery/suspense, historical fiction, and biography. I like some of Frank Peretti's books quite a lot, but "House" was way too gross for me. I really enjoyed Jan Karon's Mitford series -- laughed out loud frequently and felt a "connection" to some of the characters.

I've started a blog, too, and am finding that to be a nice creative outlet. I want to do a lot more with that after my "busy season". I work in Retail so things are hectic until after Christmas Day.

I have been married for 8 1/2 years and we have a wonderful 7 year old son who is truly a miracle. It is unusual to have your first pregnancy/first child at the age of 40! But what a blessing it has been.

Margaret, I relate to your dream about a Tea House with a Reading Room! For about 10 years, I've dreamed of owning my own book store that would serve coffee and old-fashioned home-made pies and pastries. Odd, since I totally do not cook!

message 5: by Kathie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:05PM) (new)

So good to hear from you all! I didn't realise I wasn't subscribed to this list so have only just discovered your messages now.

I've read some of Frank Peretti's books Kay but not all yet. I do enjoy a good Christian fiction book and got totally wrapped up in the Left Behind series. I find I can't write fiction though - I never finish them! lol. But I can write non-fiction as it's always based on my own life experiences, or those I know and have plans to bring out another book next year, which is a sequel to my latest based on the Proverbs 31 Woman - you'll see it in my profile.

I run a writer's group in my home with members of my church and a couple of them are aiming to write Christian scifi and fantasy as well, so they'll happy to learn about others. They were worried they were alone - but not all of them are on the internet so I'll find a way to get them to come over and visit!

message 6: by Karol (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Karol Kathie, it's great to hear from you!

I have had a book idea (non-fiction) floating around in my head and in outline form for a long time. My husband says I should sit down and actually write the thing. I'm not sure what's holding me back, maybe the fear of rejection is just too strong. I guess the whole publishing world is changing, though, and there are more options than sending off a completed manuscript to a publisher, true?

message 7: by Kathie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Yes, very true Kay. For me I had a deadline and I didn't have the time to wait for publishers to look at my manuscript - I was told it could take 3-6 months. I had set a date to launch my book at a conference for which I was a speaker so I didn't want to miss that date. I elected to self-publish but found a publisher/press house that has a self-publishing arm - they still promote and get my book into stores but I've paid for the publishing and had control over what happens with how it all works.

message 8: by Christine (new)

Christine Tate | 5 comments Hi Everyone,
My name is Christine. I'm a stay at home military (Navy) mom in Virginia Beach who homeschools a 3rd grader. In my spare time, I teach Sunday School, garden, and am the author of a new women's Bible study series "The No-Homework Women's Bible Study: Group Hug".

message 9: by David (new)

David Corbin (goodreadscomdavid_corbin) | 5 comments Hi everyone, my name is David and I live in the UK. I was born into a Christian family with my dad being an ordained reverend, but have been a devote Christian for several years now, with a desire to see believers walking worthy of the LORD as their spirits become alive to His Word.

I have authored 2 Christian books, and you can visit me at http://www.davidcorbin.org/ to gain a better understanding of my devotion to teaching spiritual truths, imparting biblical knowledge, and grounding every person in the message of God’s unconditional love and grace.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Jackson (sheilaljackson) | 5 comments Hi all, I'm Sheila L. Jackson and I live in Shreveport, Louisiana. I have written two, inspirational non-fiction books, The Enemy Within and Through the Eyes of God and my first fiction novel, Where Was God.Visit my website at www.sheilaljackson2.com to learn more.

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (srconeauthor) | 1 comments My name is Sheila. I live in Georgia. I self published my first book, The Book of Remembrance in 2012. I have since pulled it and have begun revisions on it in order to pursue my dream of being a traditionally published author. I began writing this story in 2006, and feel that I am just now, finally, getting it written the way God wants.

I hope to write many more stories, all that glorify God. All of my story setting take place in ancient European landscapes.

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Franklin (RHFranklinBook) | 1 comments Hi to all,

Just joined Goodreads and I am learning my way around. Hope to get to know other Christian readers and authors here. Just finished a book and published to Kindle this weekend.

Robert
facebook.com/RediscoveredEarlyChurchP...

http://www.amazon.com/Rediscovered-Ea...

message 13: by Jung-Sook (new)

Jung-Sook Lee (goodreadscomcamilla_lee) | 1 comments Hello everyone,

Just a quick introduction about myself.
I am new to Goodreads and look forward to learning from all of you!

My book "Fire & Ice: My Wall Street Journey" was previously published in Asia
with traditional publishers and was a best seller.

For the US Edition, I chose to self publish primarily because I was not
happy how traditional publishers edited out portions of my faith journey.
Feedback from readers showed in fact, they were very curious how I became a Christian,
which is answered in the very chapter that was eliminated by publishers!

Shows you how traditional publisher often don't know what readers want!
So my message is: don't be discouraged, those of you who have faced rejections of your manuscript.
There are many paths to success!

Camilla

message 14: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Jerrel,

Welcome. I'm fairly new here myself and am also a new author. I wish you the best with both your writing and reading. God bless.

message 15: by Vonae (new)

Vonae Deyshawn (VonaeDeyshawn) | 1 comments Hi everyone! My name is Vonae and I'm new here at Goodreads. I'm excited to be amongst other authors and avid readers!

message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Welcome to the group Vonae. God bless

message 17: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Wood (dlwood) | 10 comments Hello! I'm D.L. Wood - Deanna - and I'm new to this group and goodreads. I'm in the process of publishing my first novel - a thriller with Christian themes and romantic elements. I'm hoping to make some friends here who are also in the process of writing. The experience of others is such an invaluable resource!

I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for someone who handles blog tours/blog blasts?

I'm also open to reading new books and posting honest reviews if anyone needs it - particularly suspense stories.
Thanks!

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Welcome to the group and best of luck with your new novel. I'm a fairly new author myself. My book Return To Paradise was just published in April. From your description, it is similar to yours, although I wouldn't describe it as a "thriller". It does has some mystery and suspense elements but I don't know that you would classify it as that. If you would like to read it and review it, I would be happy to provide you with a copy. I'd also be willing to return the favor when yours comes out.

message 19: by Ikechukwu (new)

Ikechukwu Joseph (ikechukwujoseph) | 49 comments Meeting people- make them relevant to yourself, the Moses that will bring u out of oddity, oblivion and the Joshua to follow up
Discovering Yourself

message 20: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 6 comments Hi, I'm Jeanne, and I'm an author and a creative writing teacher. So nice to meet everyone.

My debut novel, BLOOD OF A STONE (Tuscany Press) was released in March 2015 and won an Independent Publisher Book Award (bronze) in the national category of religious fiction.

And I just learned this morning that BLOOD OF A STONE is a finalist in historical fiction for the Independent Authors Network Award!

Blood of a Stone by Jeanne Lyet Gassman

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Congratulations Jeanne.

message 22: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 6 comments Thank you!

message 23: by Renee (new)

Renee Ettline | 4 comments Hi! I'm Renee Ettline. I'm finally trying to find my way around Goodreads and am glad to have discovered this group. I've published one print book, Peace after Divorce, and am honored to have had it recognized as an exemplary Christian self-help book by the Illumination Book Awards. I also write for Christian Women's Voice magazine and blog every Friday at http://www.AfterDivorceMinistries.com. I look forward to getting to know all of you. Peace After Divorce: Choosing Concrete Actions Rooted in Faith

message 24: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Welcome Renee. That's fantastic to have won an Illumination Award with your first book.

message 25: by Renee (new)

Renee Ettline | 4 comments Thank you Tim. It's a blessing from above.

message 26: by Sonia Natasha (new)

Sonia Natasha | 12 comments Hi all!! Long time no read this group. May I know the newest Christian books? Thank You. God bless :)

message 27: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Mines Return To Paradise. It's a contemporary Christian drama/romance, and has been out four months.

message 28: by Sonia Natasha (new)

Sonia Natasha | 12 comments Tim wrote: "Mines Return To Paradise. It's a contemporary Christian drama/romance, and has been out four months."

Thank You, soon I will looking for it. I hope available in Indonesia :)

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Well it's available on Kindle, but I just read a thread that said Kindle isn't available in Indonesia, so maybe not. :(

message 30: by Sonia Natasha (new)

Sonia Natasha | 12 comments Tim wrote: "Well it's available on Kindle, but I just read a thread that said Kindle isn't available in Indonesia, so maybe not. :("

:(

message 31: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments Sonia wrote: "Hi all!! Long time no read this group. May I know the newest Christian books? Thank You. God bless :)"

Hi Sonia, I'd love for you to consider one of my two books, "Put Away Childish Things" and "The Chase: Our Passionate Pursuit of Life Worth Living." Both are imaginative Bible studies taking a differently look at some of our most cherished children's Bible stories from the Old and New Testament. "Put Away Childish Things" won A Christian Writer's Award in 2014. Both are available from Amazon or Barnes and Noble in hardback, paperback or as ebooks. If you get a chance to read one or both, I'd love to see your honest review. Thanks for considering these options. Kirk Lewis

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee Ettline | 4 comments Kirk, your books sound interesting.

message 33: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments Thank you, Renee. They were fun to write and personally inspirational. I've received a lot of positive feedback. Though I've used those familiar children's stories, they're written for adults with adult meaning and connections.

message 34: by Sonia Natasha (new)

Sonia Natasha | 12 comments Kirk wrote: "Sonia wrote: "Hi all!! Long time no read this group. May I know the newest Christian books? Thank You. God bless :)"

Hi Sonia, I'd love for you to consider one of my two books, "Put Away Childish ..."

Hi Kirk, thank you so much for your recommendation. I would like to looking for that book. Thank you so much. God bless :)

message 35: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 6 comments Hi, Sonia, my award-winning novel, BLOOD OF A STONE, was released by Tuscany Press in March 2015. It's a historical novel set in first century Palestine. I'd love for you to consider adding it to your list.
Blood of a Stone by Jeanne Lyet Gassman

message 36: by Don (new)

Don Mance Hi, everyone! I'm Don - a recent transplant to the US state of Maine from New York. My lovely wife Mandi is Scottish, originally from Glasgow. I've published a few short e-books, and they are all free (see a separate post in this folder.) I love inspirational stories and Christian non-fiction in general. So glad to have found this group. Thanks!

message 37: by David (new)

David Dethrage (davidadethrage) | 1 comments Hi yall. I am a simple-minded late 50's fat dad just trying to save the world. My first book should be ready within the next seven days. "The Desires of Your Heart" is a book of scriptural answers to Biblical questions. For the most part, the words are not mine. I have complied almost 1200 scripture verses from the NIV Bible translation to provide answers to 35 basic questions such as "Who Is God?", and "What Will Happen on Judgement Day?". I am not a preacher, just an ordinary guy who thinks most all of us could have a better understanding of the Bible. This book is my effort to help others achieve a better understanding of core Bible truths. The book also includes a collection of inspirational church signs I have photographed over the last three years. I have joined Goodreads to make connections and learn from those here. Thank you for reading my first post.

message 38: by Renee (new)

Renee Ettline | 4 comments Welcome David!

message 39: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments I'm doing a book signing at a church in two weeks for my book The Chase. I still feel so strange doing an event like that. I wonder when you start to feel like a "real author?"

message 40: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 6 comments I've done several. Some tips:

Talk a few friends into showing up. Even if they don't buy the book or already own the book, it will give you confidence to see some friendly faces.

This is your moment. Have fun and don't worry about how many books you sell. Instead, engage with your audience. Talk to them. Answer their questions and chat about why you liked writing this book.

Offer them a takeaway-- Give out postcards, bookmarks, or signed bookplates for the folks who buy, something that will make your readers feel special.

Bring a small gift for your hosts. This could be candy, a candle, or anything inexpensive that says "thank you." When I signed copies at a couple of independent bookstores, I brought a gift bag with a tiny bag of chocolate coffee beans, a postcard of my book cover, and a small stone with drips of blood-red nail polish. I told my hosts they could use the stone to clonk anyone who gives them grief. :) The title of my book is BLOOD OF A STONE, and a stone is used to commit a murder, so that gift was appropriate.

Hope that helps. Oh, and be sure to take pictures you can share on your FB page or website.

message 41: by Kirk (new)

Kirk Lewis | 11 comments Thanks, Jerrel for the encouragement and Jeanne for the tips. I'll certainly add a few touches to make it more personal.

message 42: by Sonia Natasha (new)

Sonia Natasha | 12 comments Jeanne wrote: "Hi, Sonia, my award-winning novel, BLOOD OF A STONE, was released by Tuscany Press in March 2015. It's a historical novel set in first century Palestine. I'd love for you to consider adding it to ..."

Wow so glad to know that. Can I find your book in Indonesia?

message 43: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 6 comments I don't know. It's available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Can you order from either of those sites?

message 44: by Sonia Natasha (new)

Sonia Natasha | 12 comments Jeanne wrote: "I don't know. It's available on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Can you order from either of those sites?"

I can order from Amazon :)

message 45: by Tim (new)

Tim Speer | 20 comments Welcome Don and David. Thanks for joining us.

message 46: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne | 6 comments Great! It's available in ebook, paperback, and hard cover formats. Thanks!

message 47: by Blessing (new)

Blessing Theophilus-Israel | 2 comments Hi All,

I have written a book called ' How to Discover Your Life's Purpose Through Dreams'. If you are interested in purpose and dreams then please consider reading this book. How To Discover Your Life's Purpose Through Dreams

God bless,
Blessing

message 48: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn (csnelling) | 1 comments Hi: God has allowed me to write a new series for preschoolers and early readers. It is based on Galatians 5:22. Check out "Lolli and Pop Find Kindness" available now for preorder.

Visit me here or at www.heartofthecrosspublshing.com
Blessings,
Carolyn Snelling