Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '09 - '10 > Hi Everyone!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Hi everyone! I decided to start a group that centers on all the different author's of pnr and urban fantasy. You can talk about other author's as well! I just found that in some of the groups I was in there wasn't much talk about specific authors unless you focused in on a group thread and read throughout the whole thing.

Add any books you would like to the group bookshelf, as long as they are put under the read and not currently read or to read.

If people want, we can start a group read. But I'll wait and see how many people decide to join the group. I started a few threads just to get the ball rolling, but others are free and welcome to start new ones.

Have fun!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Thanks for the invite=)

message 3: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Yeah, thanks for the invite. And the group read sounds great, but I agree that holding off till there're more ppl is better.

message 4: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Kathy I agree! I am in so many groups but none that are devoted specifically for authors, I love finding new people to read, but I hate having to sift through every discussion!!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good thread Jess, thanks! Anybody hear rumors of good new authors coming soon?

message 6: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) This is great, I accidently discovered this site. I have been looking for new authors to read but none of my friends share my passion for books!

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 02, 2009 09:08PM) (new)

Welcome Smp, you've found the right place...we're all about books here! What are your favorite genre & authors?

message 8: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) I love scifi/fantasy. So far my fav authors are Roger Zelazny, Jim Butcher, John Moore, Terry Pratchett. Just discovered Terry Goodkind, to name a few. Any suggestions for my next book? after I finish Terry Goodkind?

message 9: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 02, 2009 10:47PM) (new)

I don't read alot of SF, but have you read Warchild by Karin Lowachee? Warchild (Book 1) by Karin Lowachee

It's Urban Fantasy, but the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman is getting very good reviews & I love them.Start with Nightlife... Nightlife: Cal Leandros, Book 1 by Rob Thurman

message 10: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) Never read those, will try. You guys also have me very intrigued about Kelley Armstrong! I was reading the other posts and now I will have to go to Barnes and Noble tomorrow to pick one up!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 02, 2009 11:56PM) (new)

Smp, Kelley may be available at your local library. Her first book (I think) was Bitten, and is practically a classic in the werewolf genre. Don't be put off by the first couple of chapters, they are set up for the rest of the book. Her characters are complex, intense, and yummy!

message 12: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) Thanks Denni, I have not borrowed books from the library in a while, I have been buying books which can become expensive

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Buying new authors can be expensive and frustrating (I don't even finish some of them), I've come to appreciate and love my local library. Then I only buy books by authors I know I'll probably enjoy.

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group SMP! I also have a love for books, and many of my friends don't share my enthusiasm. This website is great.

I agree with you Denni about getting books from the library. I have a great system where I live. There are about 25-30 libraries all hooked up into one online system. And you can request a book from any of those libraries around the county and you can have it sent to your local library. Fantastic!

message 15: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) I wanted to go to the library today but overslept, so I will try next weekend, I have to find out if they offer ebooks. I love this site, I also joined a writing group on this site, but now I feel a little intimidated!

message 16: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) by the way, anyone here likes to write as well?

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Not my skill set, unfortunately. There are LOTS of authors here tho and several writing forums, you should have no problem finding something that works for you!

message 18: by Smp (new)

Smp (smp1918) Thanks Denni, I will search

message 19: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Jan 09, 2009 09:12PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic In case anyone new here is NOT familiar with swapping. To save on haivng to buy books try www.paperbackswap.com or bookmooch.com to name a couple sites. My own site is mainly erotica and romantica but any swaps are welcome.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSizz...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Smp I will add you as a friend and invite you to my writing groups if you like?

message 21: by Tiwaztyrsfist (new)

Tiwaztyrsfist | 25 comments Hello, just joined Goodreads, still in the process of adding all my books.

I'm a huge fan of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, and have enjoyed most of the other Urban Fantasy I've read. Hope to find some new authors I like to feed my endless need for more books.

message 22: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group tiwaztyrsfist! Just to bring you up to date, we are currently voting on a book for February book club. Only a few days left to make your pick!

Have fun.

message 23: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments Hello everyone! I became a member of Goodreads this month and obviously I just became a member here. :) I love reading supernatural books! The writers of my choice is Patricia Briggs, Kim Harrison, Karen Marie Moning, Laurell K. Hamilton and Kelley Armstrong to name a few. I haven't tried reading Anya Bast yet, but I have one of her books. Sadly I found out that I got the third one in the series. :( I'm hoping to find more authors/books.

message 24: by Jess (last edited Jan 18, 2009 07:44AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group Tracy!! I hope you enjoy it. We have tons of suggestions of authors and books scattered around in different discussions.

I hope you have the time to join our Feb book club read. They are listed at the top of the group's home page.

Have fun!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Tiwaztyrsfirst and Tracy!

message 26: by Lbug (new)

Lbug | 1 comments Smp wrote: "This is great, I accidently discovered this site. I have been looking for new authors to read but none of my friends share my passion for books!"

Ditto!

message 27: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments Thanks Jess n Denni

message 28: by Anneliese (new)

Anneliese | 6 comments Just wanted to say hi! I have a good time reading these authors so I figured this was the perfect group for me ... and when I saw I already bough Witchling, hadn't read it yet, and noticed it on the February group read list, I figured it was fate or something!

message 29: by Rob (new)

Rob | 3 comments Hi everybody. I'm Rob Turner of Glendale, CA. I was wandering through the groups when I found you guys. I'm a big fan of Jim Butcher and has been following the exploits of Chicago's only wizard, Harry Dresden. I'm not so keen on his Alera series, though. For quite a while, I also marveled at the adventures of Laurel Hamilton's Anita Blake and followed her adventures from the time she was just an "ordinary" vampire executioner and raiser of the dead. I'm sure other fans have noticed a difference between the early books in the series and the newer ones, so I am not going to belabor the point. When a new adventure is published, I still drop by and see how Anita and her gang is doing. I'm not sure if it was an oversight, but Kat Richardson seems to be missing. I recently discovered her after reading her latest novel, Underworld. It is part of a series of novels about an ordinary Seattle lady PI, who developed a strange ability to see and enter a parallel world inhabited by supernatural creatures after she was dead for two minutes. Underworld is actually the third book, the first one that started the series is Greywalker.I'm currently reading the second one, Poltergeist.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Welcome newcomers. I am glad to see people talking about series I haven't seen talked about before. Great! More input is always welcome. Hope that yall can join the BOTM reads and/or mini reads with us too.

message 31: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Welcome to the group Anneliese and Rob!! I'm so glad this group is catching on!

Rob - I have never heard of Kat Richardson.. but I am very interested in looking her up!! I love hearing about new authors so thanks!!

Join in on any discussion, and it's almost Feb where we will have our group book reads!!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read Kat Richardson, good writing style for a newbie.

Does anyone else have difficulties reading books located in your hometown? I've recently read several, and they are just not working for me dispite being very good authors *sigh*

message 33: by Delitealex (new)

Delitealex | 60 comments Hi everybody i'm interested in finding new books to read I really love paranormal books.