Who's Your Author? discussion

Paranormal Writers > Patricia Briggs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 361 (361 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I love her Mercy Thompson series, and I also like her Alpha and Omega series, but I have read some of her other books (which are more fantasy I guess) and I haven't enjoyed them all that much.

message 2: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree that the Mercy Thompson books are great! I love that Mercy doesn't let anyone push her around. Sometimes she can be a bit stubborn, but that's one of the things that I like about her. I can't wait for #4

Briggs seems to have a variety of types of books! Her Mercy series I would probably classify as more Urban Fantasy. Not a ton of emphasis put on the relationships. Enough to keep us wanting more, but not a ton. Versus her new Alpha and Omega series where the relationship seems to be the focal point.

As for her other books, I haven't read any of them yet. They seem to me like they are pure fantasy, right? Fantasy creatures in a fantasy world? That's about all that I know of them.

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) Oh I really enjoyed her Anna& Charles book. I was craving that book since reading the Short story in On The Prowl. I love Mercy as well and I am hoping that she and Adam at least hook up in Bone Crossed

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Been a fan of Patricia Briggs since before the Mercy series. At the time, loved the Dragon series and Raven series. My fav was The Hobb's Bargain, kindof a fairy tale redoux The Hob's Bargain by Patricia Briggs

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I read one of her dragon series books and I wasn't that impressed. Maybe I'll give Hobb's Bargain a try though.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed Hobb's Bargain, may even be available at the library if you live near a good one.

message 7: by B (new)

B | 82 comments I haven't read the Mercy series yet -- the library's taking forever to get it for me. I read the story in On the Prowl, and I have Cry Wolf here ready to go.

message 8: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Just so that you know, technically the On the Prowl story comes after the first Mercy book. It doesn't really give too much away about what happens with Mercy, but if you don't understand a few of the things that they are talking about, you will once you read Mercy's first. I've loved them all, so hopefully your library will get them in for you soon!

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I definitely read it out of order! I read the first Mercy book, then read Cry Wolf. Then I realized that I was missing back story and went and read the story in On the Prowl. But it still all made sense. I'm so excited for the 4th Mercy book in Feb.

I feel like there are so many good books coming out in Feb, I keep forgetting which ones I have to look out for

message 10: by B (new)

B | 82 comments I'll keep trying to get Mercy's first one.

Jess -- start a shelf for books to get (that's what I did).

message 11: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I'm looking forward to February too! The books that I know are coming out in Feb are:

Patricia Briggs - Bone Crossed
Kelley Armstrong - Men of the Otherworld
Rachel Vincent - Pride
Carrie Vaughn - Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand

Am I missing some?

message 12: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 4 comments I really kinda stumbled upon Patricia Briggs and so far I am SOOO glad I did. I started w/ Cry Wolf. I just finished Moon Called and am waiting very impatiently for Blood Hound to come in the mail.

What I am loving about this author are the characters she sets up. Mercy is a great heroine. And in Cry Wolf the tenderness in the insecurities between Anna and Charles was so real and tangible.

I think you can officially call me a Patricia Briggs fan.

message 13: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Cassandra - I also love Patricia Briggs! I picked her up based on suggestions from people in various groups. I also am glad that I did so. I can't wait for Bone Crossed to come out in February but I am a little upset it's going to be released in hardcover rather than just mass market paperback.

I wonder what is going to happen in the story since Mercy is going to be in deep sh't with the head vamp. (I forgot her name)

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 11, 2009 02:05AM) (new)

Jess, Consider the local library. Mine starts taking reservations well in advance of the release date. You will probably be ready for a re-read about the time it comes out in affordable paperback!

Jael ~ *~ Syhren ~* ~ (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejael) I've reserved mine already with SciFi book club can't wait to get it.

message 16: by Katie Davies (last edited Jan 15, 2009 04:18PM) (new)

Katie Davies I am still waiting for Iron Kissed!! I haven't seen it over here yet :(
I can't even get certain books here.

message 17: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh no! Where are you?? Can you check with your local library, or order through Amazon?

message 18: by Katie Davies (new)

Katie Davies England, we get them but they take longer. I have been waiting for it to come out for a while now.
Yeah, they are both waiting for the book to come in/arrive. hehe. The next will be out before I get this one, prob. Thank you for the suggestions :D

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Wow that just sucks! I wonder why there is such a difference in release dates

message 20: by Katie Davies (new)

Katie Davies It isn't too bad usually. Just sometimes it can take ages. It has happened with a few other books as well.

message 21: by B (last edited Jan 15, 2009 08:32PM) (new)

B | 82 comments Woohooo!!! Library has Moon Called for me finally!!! So much for staying in tomorrow when it's so NASTY COLD out! :) Now I can abandon Heart of Stone & Kitty and the Midnight Hour without too much guilt.

message 22: by Katie Davies (new)

Katie Davies What is heart of stone like?

message 23: by B (new)

B | 82 comments I think I'm abandoning Heart of Stone today....

message 24: by Katie Davies (new)

Katie Davies That bad?

message 25: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Just couldn't get into it/didn't care. I might try once more since it's freezing and I probably won't head out to the library for replacements just yet. :)

message 26: by Jess (last edited Jan 16, 2009 11:06AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have heart of stone on my kindle and I haven't had a chance to read it yet... is it bad??

message 27: by B (new)

B | 82 comments I don't want to influence people on this one (although I'm sure I have already -- sorry!) -- I started it and put it down. I've only read 34 pages. I haven't picked it up again yet, and have actually read 2 or 3 other books since, so it definitely didn't hold my attention or keep me coming back for more. I may give it another chance, but it's very possible I might not.

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I have other books that are more interesting to me at the moment, but eventually I will pick it up. I got it because the UF group I was in was reading it. But as always I was distracted into a different book. haha.

message 29: by B (new)

B | 82 comments That's why I got it too, Jess -- the UF group read.

message 30: by Katie Davies (new)

Katie Davies HaHa doesn't sound like the book choices are ones that you like.

message 31: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Bonnie - Are you not liking Kitty and the Midnight Hour?

message 32: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Didn't give it much of a chance yet, either. Didn't return it yet. I'm going to read the other shorts in the On The Prowl anthology, and then I'll attempt these others again. Maybe. Depends on when I get to the library to get Moon Called. :)

message 33: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I think it would be worth it to follow up again with Kitty, after Moon called of course!! lol. I think the first 3 chapters of kitty kinda sucked.. too much description I think. But the following books in the series really picked up. (in my own opinion of course)

message 34: by Kelley Anne (last edited Jan 16, 2009 04:12PM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I agree with Jess. I've really enjoyed those books, and she has 2 more coming out in the next month and a half!

But Moon Called is fantastic too!

message 35: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Okay, I'll give Kitty another shot. :)

Oh, no worries -- I will SO be reading Moon Called. *Loved* Cry Wolf. Really want to read more by Briggs.

message 36: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments Getting impatient for Bone Crossed to come out!

message 37: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments I just started Moon Called and I'm really enjoying it. I was beinging to think that Adam and Mercy would hook up but reading what you guys have said that didn't yet. I love it how she won't let anyone control her. Is she the only one of her kind? I don't really like how much older men liked her when she was 16. I get what they were talking about but that's just gross to me.

message 38: by Katie Davies (new)

Katie Davies It is gross to me too.
Whoo!!!!I have finally got Iron Kissed!

message 39: by B (new)

B | 82 comments No spoilers please!! I just started Moon Called yesterday!

message 40: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh Bonnie you finally have it!! It's about time your library sent it to you! I'm surprised you didn't start it already considering how long you've been waiting for it.

message 41: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Oh, I started it! (See above -- I started yesterday!) Watching the Inaugural concert (live from HBO.com) right now, so won't be reading for awhile. :)

message 42: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh I thought you said you received it yesterday! I'm watching it on t.v right now as well. How funny.

message 43: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracegirl) | 15 comments Sorry Bonnie!

message 44: by B (new)

B | 82 comments :) It's okay Tracy -- thanks. :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Heart of Stone starts a little slow, and the heroine needs some warming up to. I've read all three, and fairly good but not outstanding. I would read more in the series, but wouldn't duke it out in the bookstore aisle for the last copy either. C.E. Murphy has a little different voice, at this time The Negotiator is my fav of her series. The Walker Papers finally got too odd for me.

message 46: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Jess wrote: "Oh I thought you said you received it yesterday! I'm watching it on t.v right now as well. How funny."

Watching Moon Called on TV?! What!? I think I need to do some Googling....

message 47: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Okay -- I'm not finding it...where is it on TV? What's it called? Is it a series?

message 48: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I think that they were talking about the HBO concert in DC that they were watching. Not Moon Called

message 49: by B (new)

B | 82 comments Oh. Right. Thanks Kelley Anne -- I read it out of context and spazzed. :) I knew that yesterday when I read it the first time. :)

message 50: by B (new)

B | 82 comments However...Briggs DID sell the option rights for the series!! http://www.orbitbooks.net/2008/10/08/... So it's only a matter of time!!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8