What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Coppelia: New York City Ballet
This topic is about Coppelia
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Clockwork girl, German (?) short story, horror/dark fantasy [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Sheila (new)

The Sheila | 10 comments I'm trying to track down a short story. I'm under the impression that it was written in the late 19th or early 20th century (though I may be wrong), and that it's probably German (Hoffmann comes to mind, but I don't believe he's the correct author). I think it was called something along the lines of "The Clockmaker's Beautiful Daughter". It involves a young man who passes a toymaker's shop every day on his way home from work, and every day sees a beautiful girl peering out of the window. He falls in love with her, but is too shy to talk to her. Eventually sees her at a public ball, and spends all night dancing with her. At the end of the evening, the girl is still dancing, and the young man is dead in her arms. It turns out she was a clockwork creation of the toymaker, and he had released her into society to see if he could fool people into believing she was a real human being. I think there might be some sort of cynical moral attached at the end.
It is also possible I'm confusing a couple stories--I read a lot of stuff like this when I was a kid. If anybody can offer any leads, I'd really appreciate it.

message 2: by CLM (new)

CLM | 302 comments It sounds like the ballet Coppelia, which is based on a Hoffmann story:

Coppélia is based on a story by E. T. A. Hoffmann -- the same tale that sparked Offenbach's brilliant "Doll Act" in his opera, The Tales of Hoffmann. Coppélia met with immediate success on its completion in 1870 and has been held a charming favorite by succeeding ballet-lovers both young and old.

message 3: by The Sheila (new)

The Sheila | 10 comments Right on, I'm pretty sure it is. Shortly after I posted this thing, I happened to have a conversation with one of my longer-memoried friends, and she also suggested Hoffmann (specifically "The Doll"). The lesson here is, if your hind brain tells you it's Hoffmann, it's probably Hoffmann. ^__^