The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Favorite Book Quotes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Gina (new)

Gina (g1n3) | 103 comments I'm sure everyone has favorite movie quotes, but what about book quotes? I am a quote LOVER, so whenever I read a boook and there's a good quote I write it down. One of my favorites is:

"All I'm trying to tell you is to be strong. Don't ever let nothing get you down. Don't be afraid or ashamed to love, or to grieve when the thing you love is gone. Just don't let it throw you, no matter how much it hurts."
— Patrick D. Smith (A Land Remembered)

message 2: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 82 comments Oh! That's a great quote Gina. Here's mine: "In vain he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts." - Stephen King (Salem's Lot)

message 3: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments My all time favoriteis from LOTR when Gandalf says to Frodo " Pity! It was pity that stayed his hand. Pity and mercy: not to strike without need." He continues the conversation and tells Frodo, "Many that live deserve death. And some die who deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
I was in Jr. High at the time with a very black and white view of the world. It really made me think about justice, fairness, and all the death penalty sentencing!

message 4: by Gina (new)

Gina (g1n3) | 103 comments Those are pretty cool. I like both of those quotes. Dylan, what is yours in relevance to? I really like they way it's written!

When I am reading, some things just stick out. You know, those lines that sound more like poetry or a famous quote rather than just dialogs or narration. Another I like is from Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. "If you kin see de light at daybreak, you don't keer if you die at dusk. It's so many people never see de light at all."

message 5: by Beth Ann (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:25AM) (new)

Beth Ann (bagrover) I don't really care for the book, but I did enjoy this line from The Shack...

"Am I suppose to believe that God is a large black woman with a questionable sense of humor?"

message 6: by Dylan (last edited Dec 20, 2008 01:34PM) (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 82 comments Well, Stephen King wrote it in Salem's Lot. And the boy says that to get his mind off of the vampire floating outside his window. Really creepy stuff. Imagine your bestfriend floating outside your window with pitch black eyes, and he's tapping on your window saying, "Gina, let me in. I want to play with you!" That's what happens, and I think it means that kids believe that monsters are real, so they are the better prepared for those situations. While adults will just say it's a dream or have a heartattack. Kinda like the're in denial. I love Stephen King!

message 7: by Kandice (last edited Dec 20, 2008 08:37PM) (new)

Kandice In the story Brokeback Mountain, Ennis says "If you can't fix it, you have to stand it." I just love that. He's talking about how his life isn't way he wants it to be, but it just can't be any other way. There are so many things, every day, that we can't fix, so, if we want some semblance of happiness, we have to stand them.

Dylan-I can probably grab a few books, and pick about 50 SK quotes, right now, that I love!!!!

Oh! My favorite SK quote- "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

message 8: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I loved it once to read abook and find this: 'eventually should be now'. Whish I would follow that more!

message 9: by Gina (new)

Gina (g1n3) | 103 comments The is so true, Jeane. I absolutely agree with you.

Dylan, that is so freaky, but really cool at the same time. I see what you mean about adults being in denial, but kids believing in all of that stuff. I think once you get into high school (or at least a teenager)your perception of what's realistic and what's not gets a wake-up call. (Be it monsters or situations) That happened for me!

I've never read any Stephen King novels, but my English teacher (who is also on goodreads) absolutely loves his novels! Also, the priest at my church adores them and he has actually referenced several of them in his homilies! It makes for an entertaining Mass!

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice It's been said so many times, but... King is so often pigeonholed as a horror writer, and that's just not all he is! So many of his stories are uplifting about hope and love, I can see how it would be very easy to quote him in a homily. Of course those quotes probably wont come from Cujo, but there is so very much to choose from. One of the reasons I love him so, is that he seems to have diarhea of the pen! Gross analogy, I know, but he is encredibly prolific, and I feel that's a real gift to us, his fans!
Writers like Thomas Harris, on the other hand, have constipation of the pen!!!!

message 11: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain.

Dracula by Bram Stoker

message 12: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments I don't remember if I read it in a book or an a bookmark....'people say life is the thing but I think it is reading'

message 13: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments "Aperson's a person, no matter how small." Dr. Suess
More parents should remember this when dealing with their small children!

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie I love finding little things that just stick out at you when reading a novel. I've actually kept a journal since I was about 8 years old (I think I'm on journal number 20) where if a quote struck my fancy I would write it out, the book and author, the date and why I liked it. It's a really cool thing to do. But I believe this is my favorite...at least right now haha.

This is from Villette by Charlotte Bronte:
"No mockery in this world ever sounds to me so hollow as that of being told to cultivate happiness. What does such advice mean? Happiness is not a potato, to be planted in mould, and tilled with manure. Happiness is a glory shining far down upon us out of Heaven. She is a divine dew which the soul, on certain of its summer mornings, feels dropping upon it from the amaranth bloom and golden fruitage of Paradise."
I just thought it was pure poetry, and at the same time very true. It really struck me, and the sentiment has always stayed with me.

message 15: by Cameron (new)

Cameron (cam671) Zorba the Greek, by Nikos Kazantzakis

(in reference to a broken heart)

"I tell you, my heart split in two. But the knave soon stuck itself together again. You must have seen those sails with red, yellow and black patches, sewn with thick twine, which never tear even in the roughest storms. Well, that's what my heart's like. Umpteen holes, and umpteen patches: it need fear nothing more!"

message 16: by Gina (new)

Gina (g1n3) | 103 comments Katie, I have a quote journal as well! Although, most of the quotes are by famous people, rather than from books. That's why I love the quote section on the profile page!

Cameron (haha that's my best friend's name!)- I love that description of a broken heart. How beautifully heartbreaking and perfect.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 69 comments This one comes to mind as we come to the end of 2008 - with everything happening in the economy and around the world - from the opening of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness . . . it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of dispair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us . ."

I'm an eternal optimist and can usually find something positive out of something negative!

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Lisa wrote: "This one comes to mind as we come to the end of 2008 - with everything happening in the economy and around the world - from the opening of A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens:

"It was the be..."

Greatest Openinig line EVER!!

message 19: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments Also from Dickens: "God bless us every one."

message 20: by Darla (last edited Dec 29, 2008 05:20PM) (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments from And the Band Played On: Politics People and the AIDS Epidemic:

"He was taken aback at how little had been written in the popular press even though there were already so many dead and dying from this mysterious phenomenon. He was also curious to see that it was promoted as a homosexual disease.

How very American, he thought, to look at a disease as homosexual or heterosexual, as if viruses had the intelligence to choose between different inclinations of human behaviour."

message 21: by Jon (new)

Jon thats a good one Darla

Heres my favourite

"Death is always on the way, but the fact that you don't know when it will arrive seems to take away from the finiteness of life. It's that terrible precision that we hate so much. But because we don't know, we get to think of life as an inexhaustible well. Yet everything happens a certain number of times, and a very small number, really. How many more times will you remember a certain afternoon of your childhood, some afternoon that's so deeply a part of your being that you can't even conceive of your life without it? Perhaps four or five times more. Perhaps not even. How many more times will you watch the full moon rise? Perhaps twenty. And yet it all seems limitless."
— Paul Bowles (The Sheltering Sky)

message 22: by Gina (new)

Gina (g1n3) | 103 comments Wow Jon! I really like that one!

message 23: by Jon (new)

Jon I know..pround eh?!

to be honest im not much of a literary mastermind, so to remember a single passage from a book you read (and saw the film to i suppose) having such an effect on you years later means it must be pretty damn good!.

message 24: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments thanks Jon... I've found another one from And the Band Played On:

Later, everybody agreed the baths should have been closed sooner; they agreed health education should have been more direct and more timely. And everybody also agreed blood banks should have tested blood sooner, and that a search for the AIDS virus should have been started sooner, and that scientists should have laid aside their petty intrigues. Everybody subsequently agreed that the news media should have offered better coverage of the epidemic much earlier, and that the federal government should have done much, much more. By the time everyone agreed to all this, however, it was too late.

Instead, people died. Tens of thousands of them.

message 25: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments okay, on a lighter note, I've switched books... I'm now on Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts. This line cracked me up:

"Me? I just have one job to do now. Just one job. You know what that is?"
"I guess it's to save souls."
"Oh, no,Ruth Ann. The Lord saves souls. I save wheat pennies."

message 26: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments And another one...

Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death.

message 27: by Jon (new)

Jon "If you want to know who the oppressed minorities in America are, simply look at who gets their own shelf in the bookstore. A black shelf, a women's shelf, and a gay shelf."
— Armistead Maupin

message 28: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments lmao... that guy and his quote were mentioned in "And the Band Played On".

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon Darla, you should read Tales of the City if you havnt allready by Armistead Maupin, so much fun

message 30: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments Hmm.. I may have to look that up and stick it to my TBR list... Thanks for the recommendation :)

message 31: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 163 comments Mine is from Douglas Adams'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Gallery.

"It's times like these I wish I'd listened to my mother..."

"Why, what did she say?"

"I don't know, I wasn't listening!"

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Darla wrote: "And another one...

Every year you live, you pass the anniversary of your death."

I'm at work, so the book is not at hand, but I love when she prays before eating asking for forgiveness for the fornication they enjoyed on this very table.

Billie Letts writes like people really talk!!!

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) I started keeping a notebook for literary quotes back in, I think, 1999 when I was reading Look Homeward, Angel by Thomas Wolfe. That book had me writing whole passages, not just a few sentences. I was exhausted after reading it. Unfortunately, the notebook with those quotes is put away somewhere. If I find it I'll be sure to share.

message 34: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments LMAO Kandice.... I love that too! :)

message 35: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessica_lee) | 44 comments I read Winner of the National Book Award and loved this piece
"A well-wrought piece of fiction...helps us make sense out of the chaos of our lives."
-Jincy Willett, Winner of the National Book Award

Angie (Literary Labors) (angie) Well, Emily, I notice that we share two of the same favorite books--A Confederacy of Dunces and I Capture the Castle. LH,A may just be a thrid. :)

message 37: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments Jessica wrote: "I read Winner of the National Book Award and loved this piece
"A well-wrought piece of fiction...helps us make sense out of the chaos of our lives."
-Jincy Willett, Winner of the National Book Award"

I've read Jenny and the Jaws of Life and The Writing Class by Jincy Willett. I loved them both! I have Winner of the National Book Award waiting on my shelf and will start it as soon as I finish The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

message 38: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments "...to swear with a ferocity that can only be described as a talent"

-The Book Theif

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna (dfiggz) | 1626 comments I also love the opening line in The History of Love

"When they write my obituary, tomoorow or the next day, it will say 'Leo Gursky is survived by an apartment full of sh!t'".

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessica_lee) | 44 comments Rosemary- I love the way she writes. I am waiting for Jenny & the Jaws of Life to come in!

message 41: by Kandice (new)

Kandice "The truth is, every son, raised by a single mom is pretty much born married. I don't know, but until your mom dies it seems like all the other women in your life can nver be more than just your mistress."
Chuck Palahniuk-Choke

message 42: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 170 comments "So here is where I am so far, and this is all I know: the world is a big sardine can, and some of us are too agreeable for words. Most of us, really."
— Jincy Willett

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarai0989) I have a 'quote journal' too, I've just realized reading this thread that I've neglected it a bit recently and should start using it more.

“Today’s the day, Philip. We’ll call it Big Wednesday.”
“But it’s not even Wednesday.”
“Shut up and follow me.”
– Lockie Leonard, Legend, Tim Winton

message 44: by Kandice (new)

Kandice "Blaze was sure he was going straight to hell. It's a dirty world, and the longer you live in it, the dirtier you get."
Blaze-Stephen King

message 45: by Katie (new)

Katie "My gripe is not with lovers of truth but with truth herself. What succor, what consolation is there in truth, compared to a story? What good is truth, at midnight, in the dark, when the wind is roaring like a bear in the chimney? When the lightning strikes shadows on the bedroom wall and the rain taps at the window with its long fingernails? No. When fear and cold make a statue of you in your bed, don't expect hard-boned and fleshless truth to come running to your aid. What you need are the plump comforts of a story. The soothing, rocking safety of a lie."
~ The Thirteenth Tale A Novel by Diane Setterfield
I love that book so much. There are so many things to quote from it, but this always stood out to me.

message 46: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments I have so many! I too keep a quote journal, though they are not all from books. Here's two of my favorite "literary" ones...

"Well," said Casy, "for anybody else it was a mistake, but if you think it was a sin—then it's a sin. A fella builds his own sins right up from the groun'." - Steinbeck, Grapes of Wrath

"Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quietest chambers, that the mind can never break off from the journey." - Conroy, Prince of Tides

message 47: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.

~The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

message 48: by Gina (new)

Gina (g1n3) | 103 comments Darla, I love that quote! I haven't read that book yet, but it is sitting on the shelf, awaiting its turn. Hopefully, I'll get to it over the summer when I wont have to worry abut school assignments and necessary books for English class.

message 49: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments Gina - I loved that book and highly recommend it.

message 50: by Darla (new)

Darla (silvenfox) | 573 comments From The Opposite of Fate by Amy Tan ~On people wanting her to write their life story:

They just want me to tell their story, and they need a writer to put the words down in a way others will understand. They want people to know what they have been through. They want witnesses, because it's lonely to go through life with your heartaches. They are people who believe that they can find some sort of redemption, if only their story is told to the world, if only they can get it off their chest.

« previous 1