The Readers discussion

Readers Summer Book Club 2012 > The Eight Titles for Summer 2012

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (last edited Apr 09, 2012 04:25AM) (new)

Simon (SavidgeReads) | 449 comments Mod
Well finally here they are all eight titles for The Readers Summer Book Club 2012, we won’t be doing the podcasts till mid-May but we would like you to have as much advance warning as possible to get reading. Anyway, less waffling, here are the titles in order we will be reading them...

Pure by Andrew Miller The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan Packing for Mars The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord Bleakly Hall by Elaine di Rollo Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Half Blood Blues by Esi Edugyan

I will pop separate threads for each title up on here later today, so if you have read them you can already get talking about them... though no spoilers please. Also if you wish to be one of the guests on the show then do let us know via the blog and email.

So, what do you think of the list? We would love your thoughts, good or bad.

(Oh and do listen to episode 28 so you know WHY we chose them!)

message 2: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ this is a most interesting list! i've only read one book here Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void and i want to read Ready Player One. it looks like i will get a good load of mystery and historical lessons with these books. good job!

message 3: by Jenni (new)

Jenni (Jennilukee) Interesting mix! I haven't read any of these, but I do own Half Blood Blues. Four other books were already on my virtual TBR-pile, so now I have the perfect excuse to buy them. :)

Pure and Ready Player One intrigue me the most. I don't usually read non-fiction, but you made Packing for Mars sound fascinating.

message 4: by tasha (new)

tasha What an interesting list! I added 3 to my tbr:

Packing for Mars The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton Bleakly Hall by Elaine di Rollo

I've already read Ready Player One which was very good and will probably be a favorite this summer.

I may end up reading more but I'm excited to start with those above three.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 36 comments I've only read Ready Player One, so I'm happy to have some new titles!

message 6: by Jana (new)

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 36 comments I've only read The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan, but would LOVE an excuse to revisit. I highly recommend the audio to anyone who likes that method of devouring their books (pun intended).

They all look great!

message 7: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie (SylvieW) | 6 comments Very interesting list. I already have Half Blood Blues on hold at the library since I am planning on reading it for my "Paris" book salon. It looks like Pure would fit there too. I haven't heard great things about Ready Player One, but I'll give it a chance.

message 8: by Strollamus (new)

Strollamus | 11 comments A great, varied choice and I'm really looking forward to reading along. I've already got Pure, and now have a perfect excuse to pick up the others. Thanks so much, S and G, for organising this!

message 9: by tasha (new)

tasha Yes, thanks! I'm looking forward to this.

message 10: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments Unfortunately, Pure (which I really want to read) will not be released in the U.S. until May 2012. But I will try and read the others. I particularly love the title Bleakly Hall. Sounds interesting. This is a very nice mix. I think I can see which ones you picked and which ones are Gav’s. Four are available at my local library, which is great!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I have read Pure, but it was one of the best books I've read in recent history and may read it again!

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentwist) | 26 comments I'm very excited about this list - a good mix of books I've read (Ready Player One and The Last Werewolf), books I've already got on my TBR, and books I've never even heard of. Can't wait to start reading. Thanks for putting this together Simon and Gav!

message 13: by Jana (new)

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 36 comments Every once in awhile I spring for the UK shipping for things I can't delay gratification for.* I think Pure rates!

*I will forever think of my papa telling me: "A preposition is a bad word to end a sentence with."

message 14: by Ruthiella (new)

Ruthiella | 272 comments @Jana and @Andrew...OK, I caved. I ordered Pure from Amazon UK. Of the 8 books listed, it is the one I was jonesing for anyway. Can't wait!

message 15: by pam (new)

pam | 24 comments dearest simon - maybe i missed it in the episode, but can you please tell us again by what date (approximately) are we to have these read? and i'll add my thanks as well for putting this together. i'm looking forward to it!

message 16: by Simon (new)

Wow thank you all so much for your thoughts on the list. We are so proud/excited of it!

Dates should be announced in Episode 29 for when each book is getting read we are just juggling authors diaries our diaries and then we have to find book group members and their diaries!

message 17: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) | 6 comments Ruthiella wrote: "@Jana and @Andrew...OK, I caved. I ordered Pure from Amazon UK. Of the 8 books listed, it is the one I was jonesing for anyway. Can't wait!"

I was about to do the same thing, when I remembered that I'm going to London for work at the end of the month :).

Great list! Excited to see all the discussion... I am particularly intrigued by PURE and BLEAKLY HALL. READY PLAYER ONE was highly entertaining.

message 18: by Jana (new)

Jana (Jazziegirl2010) | 36 comments @Frankie: That's great! You reminded me that my friend is in London right now visiting her mum. But my order has shipped already and I also ordered the Library Book (that Ann & Michael on BOTNS discussed). Her suitcase will be spared from my requests.

message 19: by Strollamus (new)

Strollamus | 11 comments @Jana: you'll love The Library Book - I'm reading just one essay before bed each night, trying to make it last!

message 20: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (thefranklynn) | 6 comments Jana wrote: "@Frankie: That's great! You reminded me that my friend is in London right now visiting her mum. But my order has shipped already and I also ordered the Library Book (that Ann & Michael on BOTNS d..."

Oh, I forgot about the Library Book - I am going to have some fun at the bookstore! I need to make a list before I go of all the books that are out in the UK but not the US yet that I've had my eye on .

I am sure your friend would be glad to make room in her luggage for your bookish requests! :)

message 21: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i'd like to know the reading schedule, as i would like to create threads for questions. Can we get the first title to be discussed, so we can brainstorm questions?

i am super excited about the format of the discussions. i am going to do my best to read as many of the eight as i can.

message 22: by tasha (new)

tasha I know I marked just 3 to read but I'm quite sure I'll be joining in on the other reads as well. I'm super excited about this event! :D

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ElizabethBauman) | 1 comments I too did not want to wait for Pure to release in the US so I ordered it through Amazon UK along with Bleakley Hall (Also not available yet in US and no date for release here that I could find. Plus, why buy one book when I could buy two?). I have been very much in the mood for books set in that time, post WWI, so I can't wait.

message 24: by Nose in a book (new)

Nose in a book (Kate) (Nose_in_a_book) | 40 comments I kinda wanted to read Pure anyway but will now have a good look at the rest to see which I should join in with. Looking forward to it!

message 25: by tasha (new)

tasha I just listened to the podcast and I have to say, after listening to you guys banter on about these books, I want to give them ALL a try. ;)

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 5 comments I've just added six of the eight summer titles for the read along. I've read Ready Player One by Ernest Cline and was so surprised that I liked it. I did not want to read it. I didn't like one single thing I heard about it and kept shoving it to the back of my mind. The book want to be at the forefront of my mind and kept pushing its way up. I finally listened to it and I must say, it was great! Not my cup of tea, but a great listen.

Gav and Simon, I'd love to skype and participate in a discussion. My top title interests are: Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord
Now You See Me by S.J. Bolton

message 27: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ i just sent an email for my library to order Bleakly Hall. we'll see what happens.

message 28: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮ @ simon,

if we are chosen to participate with one of the interviews or discussions, how far out will we be contacted?

thanks.

message 29: by Simon (new)

If people want to join in we will need them to email bookbasedbanter@gmail.com as we have lots of people asking in lots of places but then not emailing. So that's a big must. You'll then find out of you are on ASAP.

message 30: by Simon (new)

I should add a thank you to everyone who has offered as that last post sounded grumpy (I've been up since silly o'clock) and I didn't mean it to. We are thrilled people want to participate. Properly chuffed.