Time Was Soft There: A Paris Sojourn at Shakespeare & Co. Time Was Soft There discussion

about the book

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristy Evert writer should read this book. It is one of those few life changers that I speak of.

Polly Vous Francais So well written and evocative.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with both comments. I've been to the shop that is memorialized in the book, and George was still alive at the time, and - although I didn't know much of the history of the place - I did in fact come face to face with him, although not in any situation as provocative and life-changing as this. Just a customer and a browser. And I DID purchase "A Moveable Feast"! The book is a sprightly read, with some less-than-reputable touches, and an unsparing viewpoint. The "romance of poverty" is both revealed and critiqued, and the author's life-changing experience is beautifully captured. I am in the midst of reading a lot of non-fiction books about Paris, and this - along with John Baxter's "The Most Beautiful Walk in the World" - has been one of the most enjoyable.