Elantris (Elantris, #1) Elantris discussion

elantris

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carmen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carmen This is a really good book. what do you think?

Angie Aside from the frustration of having to learn so many new words and pronunciations, I'm enjoying the book so far (about 100 pages into it). I prefer to not have to learn to speak a new language to get to the meat of a novel, but if the story turns out good, I'll forgive the author.

I've heard this book is easier to read than his other novels... because of the language. I'm less likely to want to try them because of that...

Shan Angie wrote: "Aside from the frustration of having to learn so many new words and pronunciations, I'm enjoying the book so far (about 100 pages into it). I prefer to not have to learn to speak a new language to..."

Contrary to that belief, I think the Mistborn trilogy is much easier to read language-wise. It has a simple to understand magic system that somehow bases itself of physics with a pinch of real magic in it. Elantris on the other hand has a slew of foreign words that take time to get used to and are used quite frequently. Try Mistborn, you won't be disappointed =)

Jade Morgan Elantris is definitely an awkward book in the beginning, you have to get used to some of the quirks. Though personally I didn't stumble over the words, and I enjoyed reading it immensely!

Out of all Mr. Sanderson's books, I found that the Mistborn series had the most ingenious plot, but the least appealing characters. Okay, I loved the books, but if I had to choose a favorite, it would be a tie between Warbreaker and his new one, The Way of Kings.

Naithin Jade wrote: "Elantris is definitely an awkward book in the beginning, you have to get used to some of the quirks. Though personally I didn't stumble over the words, and I enjoyed reading it immensely!

Out of..."

Interesting you should say that Jade; I had the same thoughts about Mistborn. The plot was fairly well done for the most part, but the characters were just so flat that at times it felt like a plod to get through them nonetheless.

This was not a fact helped much by trying to finish these before I started in on Rothfuss' Wise Man's Fear. xD

As for Elantris itself, I liked it a lot more than Mistborn. It still had a number of writing quirks I've began to recognise as Sandersonisms, that exist even through to TWoKs. But at least so far as characters-having-all-the-depth-of-puddles, this seems to be a feature limited to Mistborn thus far.

I haven't yet read Warbreaker, although I have a copy at home awaiting a read after a I take a bit of a break.

Sahil Udani I loved the book, after a long time a concept which haunts me. What if you cannot die, but feel un-relentless pain which cannot be healed.

Megan Warbreaker - deffinitely a good one. It's the kind of book that you find yourself thinking about from time to time long after you've read it. But I also really liked the Mistborn trilogy the first time through. I loved the originality of the physics/magic traits. I wasn't struck by the depthless characters till I tried to read them again and got bored.
I LOVE what he's done with the Robert Jordan books, except for the 21st certury jargon thrown into the 16th century-esque setting.
And I LOVED The Way of Kings. Can't wait for the next one.

message 8: by Kit (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kit I loved Elantris-Loved Warbreaker even more-I'm very excited to start reading The Way of Kings. But, it will have to wait until next week-very loooonng book! This looks like its the beginning of a hopefully long series. :D

Donna I found Elantris hard to get into, compared to Mistborn, but once in, it was a quick read as I really wanted to find out what was going to happen to Raoden and his friends.

Gavin Elantris is my favorite Sanderson book so far.
It's one of the few books I've read more than once in the last seven years or so.
I agree that the characters in Elantris are more likable than those from the Mistborn trilogy.

Nice to read good things about Warbreaker, I have not read it yet, I'm saving it for a dry spell.

I hope we get a sequel, but who knows with Sanderson tied up with the lengthy( but great ) Stormlight Archive series.

James I feel like Elantris and Warbreaker were his weakest works. Mistborn and his wheel of time books were really good. I'm not saying that Elantris and Warbreaker bad by any stretch, just saying that I feel like his other works are better.

message 12: by Tony (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tony check out Graphic Audeo vertions of Elantris and Warbreaker. they are very good if you love the books(like i do) cant wait for the rest of Stormlight Archive series.

Gavin Tony wrote: "check out Graphic Audeo vertions of Elantris and Warbreaker. they are very good if you love the books(like i do) cant wait for the rest of Stormlight Archive series."

Are the Graphic Audio versions not slightly abridged?.
I have Elantris in Graphic Audio and the normal unabridged version, and I'm sure there is a few hours difference in runtime.
I would like to listen to the Graphic Audio version of Warbreaker but I would not like to miss out on parts of the story.

message 14: by Tony (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tony They do change some things. There are special effects that are used instead of being explained out. There is no "he or she said" after every line of speech... its kinda like old timey radio... with that said i have copies of these books for the true version. But they are a good listen. Lol it’s really like they say. “A Movie in your Mind"
Also try "The Night Angle Trilogy"
That’s the story that got me onto Graphic audio

Gavin I have been interested in "The Night Angle Trilogy" by Brent Weeks for a while, do you recommend reading the books first or just listening to the GA's.

Since I have the GA version of Elantris I should probably get round to listening to it!.

message 16: by Tony (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tony well when i downloaded it i got the GA 1st
i did look atthe book to make sure i was not missing anything... i have not read night angel all the way, but i can says that the GA vertion makes it one of my all time fav storys. i have listened to the triligy a few times now and i can say i have not done that with any other book... i am about to re-read mistborn and review the extra info sanderson has online at his site at the same time... Sanderson is my fav auther but night angle is a great story to have

Gavin I've done a little research and it appears that the GA's do not miss out any of the plot. That means I will definitely listen to Warbreaker and The Night Anglel Trilogy in Graphic Audio.

James GA is awesome. They say in there opener all you need to know on making a descision.

Graphic Audio a movie IN YOUR MIND!

love it

Gavin James wrote: "GA is awesome. They say in there opener all you need to know on making a descision.

Graphic Audio a movie IN YOUR MIND!

love it"

Great to hear. For what it's worth I have bought the GA version of Warbreaker, I just have not had a chance to listen to in yet!.

Steven Knapp I prefer the audible versions of Elantris and Warbreaker because I really enjoy the complete unabridged additions. This version also made the language in Elantris easer to understand because the narrator read it very seamlessly.

Gavin Steven wrote: "I prefer the audible versions of Elantris and Warbreaker because I really enjoy the complete unabridged additions. This version also made the language in Elantris easer to understand because the na..."

Agreed, Jack Garrett, the narrator for the unabridged version of Elantris was superb.

message 22: by Ruin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruin Holmes Carmen wrote: "This is a really good book. what do you think?"

I loved it, although it was kinda difficult to keep up with all the new names & stuff...especially having listened to it on audiobook.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend Mistborn.

-Ruin Holmes

message 23: by Channah (new) - added it

Channah Elantris was actually one of the ones I liked least (Rithmatist was the worst, I couldn't finish it). The characters weren't very likable, a lot of things didn't seem explained very well, and the whole thing just failed to impress me.
Mistborn was pretty good. Warbreaker was kind of weird and random but not bad, and Way of Kings was absolutely awesome (not to forget Words of Radiance). I also liked the Elantris novella (Emperor's Soul, I think) and the Mistborn sequel (Alloy of Law).
No one ever remembers it... but the first Alcatraz book was amazing (they went downhill and then were never finished).

Anthony Vicino Loved it! As with most fantasy books it can be kind of hard to get into at the beginning, but you'll be well rewarded for your persistence. I thought the characters were great, with the exception of the Princess who seemed too forced.

If you liked Elantris you will no doubt like the Mistborn Trilogy which is possibly the best fantasy I've read in a log time. Intriguing magic system, great plot, a couple really fantastic characters (again with the exception of two).

message 25: by Channah (new) - added it

Channah Anthony wrote: "Loved it! As with most fantasy books it can be kind of hard to get into at the beginning, but you'll be well rewarded for your persistence. I thought the characters were great, with the exception o..."

As that kind of character goes, I think it works much better in Warbreaker and Way of Kings.

Stephanie Elantris is one of my favourite books. I feel like Brandon Sanderson has really revitalized the fantasy genre. His work on the wheel of time series is what turned me onto him; I was about to give up finishing the series even though I had invested time into reading them and was really just plugging through to see what happened. The first one he wrote (towers of midnight? can't think of it off the top of my head) completely renewed my interest in the series and I was able to finsih.
I tried some of his other books, and of course fell in love with The Way of Kings. Mind blown.
Loved Warbreaker. Loved it.
Has anyone read Steelheart? I found it very intriguing.