Hipinion discussion

Book Club Round 2: Discussion Thread

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Ben (deadwolfbones) | 88 comments Mod
Discuss The Medusa Frequency here.

You can also discuss Heart of a Dog if you like. I, for one, am reading both of them since they're both only ~120pp. (Just finished Heart of a Dog.)

message 2: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:21AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments oh good, i bought a copy of heart of a dog thinking it would win, it's insane short so i'll join you in discussing that too in a few days.

message 3: by toph (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

toph | 24 comments Bought Heart of a Dog today and read about half of it so far. The rest I'll probably read tonight or tomorrow, so I may be able to share some thoughts soon. I'm kind of terrible at discussing books though, so if anyone who has finished it wants to post some questions or discussion points, that'd be great.

message 4: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new)

Jesus, what an ass-weird book this was.

message 5: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:23AM) (new)

Definitely going to have to re-read. And do some research.

message 6: by Sean (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Sean | 2 comments I only had time to read the first three chapters. The narrator is the kraken then? Shit I'll just keep reading.

message 7: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Rebecca oh my, i have two chapters to go... loving it though.

message 8: by Andrew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:25AM) (new)

Andrew | 7 comments Re: the Medusa Frequency

Here's a conversation starter I guess: What was really the point of the electrical impulse shock thing that Fallok? It wasn't really the reason the Head of Orpheus appeared, or at least that's how it seemed to me.

edit: a retarded, trivial place to start, but it is somwhere I guess and it is near the start of the book.

message 9: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments re: heart of a dog
short, sweet, hilarious, heartbreaking

sharik seems so content at the end, which despite the tragic nature he represents you can't really help but follow suit.
he's better off in that state, which is a pretty twisted comment on the period.
yeehaw

message 10: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments also after about 35 pages of medusa........i'm probably going to read everything this author's done.

message 11: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

That's a very good idea.

I'm going to have another look at Medusa over the course of the week and hopefully post a few questions. (And maybe an answer to Andrew.)

message 12: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments having just read that bit.....i think its key to recall that fallok's office had the same vermeer print, which i took as more than a coincidence and a sign that the setting is deceptive and illusory.

message 13: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments so at the chapter of the bog screening i though for a minute that all the kraken/cthulu speak could be decoded, but that's not the case huh.
great book.

message 14: by Andrew (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Andrew | 7 comments Yeah, I don't think the cthulu speak can be decoded, but man, that Kraken and his Nnvsnu the Tsrungh. What a duo :-D

message 15: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments on one hand i'd love to read those comics/backs of cereal boxes, and on the other i can't imagine this guy's children's stories.

message 16: by Tim (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:30AM) (new)

Tim | 5 comments Let me tell you, that Bulgakov really sticks it to the Commies.

message 17: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:32AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments got the niece a couple of the frances books for her 3rd birthday last week. i was like yo maggie i just read the greatest shit by this guy why don't you try one.

message 18: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:33AM) (new)

Well, time's up on this one. Looks like I failed miserably to generate discussion. w00t.

Bec, you got a list ready for voting?

message 19: by chase (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

chase Adams | 44 comments while this book was wild i found it pretty succinct in many ways. i think this small amount of discussion was just fine. next.

message 20: by Hunter (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Hunter | 3 comments this worked for me, I read it but dont have much to add.

message 21: by Ben (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:38AM) (new)

Rebecca claims she'll have a list for voting purposes shortly.