The Sword and Laser discussion

Scifi / Fantasy News > Christopher Priest Calls Out The Clarke Awards

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (last edited Apr 03, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Andrew (Frontline) | 129 comments I thought this was timely since one of the books Priest trashes is Rule 34. I didn't particularly care for the book. The setting just had a hint of laser to what I felt was a pretty weak plot. Given his angry, red faced tone, it just sounds like sour grapes to me. Maybe if he listed a few books he felt handled his examples better I would take it more seriously. As it stands, it just sounds like whining.

The Prestige author Christopher Priest calls out the Clarke Awards

EDIT: Okay, I went and read the whole thing. He does list a few books that he did like, but doesn't really expand on why. Just that they more suited him. When he got to the part about firing the committee, it got even more pompous. I am even more disgusted than I was before.

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 654 comments The most recent episode of I Should Be Writing by Mur Lafferty has a great response to Chris's unwarranted outburst.

http://isbw.murlafferty.com/2012/04/0...

message 3: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5068 comments I think he's right about Stross and Mieville.

message 4: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 347 comments I think his rant says far more about him than about any of the authors he's calling out, but your mileage may vary.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (Frontline) | 129 comments I'm not saying that I don't agree with some of his opinions on the books, but it is next level arrogant to assert that they should all be dismissed because they don't agree with him.

message 6: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 372 comments Andrew wrote: "I thought this was timely since one of the books Priest trashes is Rule 34. I didn't particularly care for the book. The setting just had a hint of laser to what I felt was a prett..."

it doesn't sound like, it's whinning

message 7: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5068 comments New Priest post, he & Stross are on good terms: http://www.christopher-priest.co.uk/j...

He's almost 70. I think he's earned the right to complain about overrated authors and the senior meals at McDonalds.

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 2250 comments Alex wrote: "The most recent episode of I Should Be Writing by Mur Lafferty has a great response to Chris's unwarranted outburst.

http://isbw.murlafferty.com/2012/04/0..."

How do you define "unwarranted," Mr. Decker? If the people on the nominating committee didn't want their taste criticized, they shouldn't be on the nominating committee for a prominent award.

Priest laid out the reasons he thought the selections were god awful. Even if you disagree, you should make a case for why the books represent the best in SF published in Britain last year.

message 9: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 318 comments I laughed out loud at his description of Charlie Stross as an "internet puppy" and apparently Stross did too.

message 10: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5068 comments

message 11: by Charles (new)

Charles | 248 comments Jess wrote: "I laughed out loud at his description of Charlie Stross as an "internet puppy" and apparently Stross did too."

Priest actually ordered a shirt too, in his comments to Scalzi's blog :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rule 34 (other topics)