Audiobooks discussion

Archives > The Kindle

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Grumpus | 1086 comments As audio book listeners, we may be viewed as rebels to some of the book purists who question whether listening really count as reading. Remember our thread?

[http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show_g...]

As fellow rebels (and early adopters?), I was curious to know what you think of Amazon’s new e-reader, the Kindle [http://www.tinyurl.com/39dzag]? There are reviews all over the internet and it is the cover story on Business Week.

Until I read about this, I thought I would never want one. Now however, after reading the reviews (both good and bad), I want one. I want one bad. I may differ from most folks here at goodreads in that, like you, I LOVE reading (and/or listening) but I don’t keep the books around as trophies. I re-sell them on Amazon which generally nets my cost out to about $4 per book. So the aspect of not being able to keep a library of read books is not a drawback for me. The search ability, the ability to look up words on the fly, download speed, the frustration of no longer having to keep paperback pages open, the light weight of the Kindle as compared to hardcovers, and the environmental aspect are all reasons why I think this would be a wonderful product to have. Think about it, we no long have to kill trees then ship them for processing into paper, then shipping them again somewhere for printing, then shipping yet again to retailers to which you ship yourself to go pick it up.

The cost of $400 is what is keeping me away now. I’ll wait until Kindle 2.0 or 3.0 come out with more features such as color and lower price. It’ll be a painful wait but mankind has waited 500 years for book 2.0 to come out. So I can wait a few more months.

message 2: by Susan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Susan | 37 comments I'm also waiting to see the next version - and to see what it offers in the way of audiobook support. Right now, it supposedly supports MP3 and Audible files, but it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to suspect they'll figure out a way to offer Amazon audiobooks on the Kindle as well. If they would offer true resume and bookmarking features, I'd be very tempted to buy.

message 3: by Chrystal714 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Chrystal714 | 17 comments I just did the reading this sounds fantastic! However, I think I am going to wait till they have a more extensive library, untill they worked the bugs out, and untill the price comes down a little.

message 4: by Stef (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Stef (firecat) | 52 comments I don't want to be tied to Amazon when it comes to an electronic reader, and I don't trust for a microsecond that wireless access will stay free. But there are a number of fetures I like about Kindle, especially the keyboard and annotation.

Among my geek friends, another reader, the Bookeen Cybook (http://www.bookeen.com/), is popular because it supports more text formats than the Kindle. But it doesn't have annotation features and doesn't support audible.com format.

I currently carry around a cell phone and an iPod, and don't want to carry around another electronic device. So I'll probably wait until I feel there's a good device that combines at least three of cell phone, text messaging, audio, and text reader with multiple format, annotation, and highlighting capability at a reasonable monthly cost. (The iPhone qualifies on features but the service contract is too expensive. I'm currently paying an average of $7/mo for cell phone and text messaging.)

message 5: by Teddy (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Teddy (teddyrose) Call me a purist if you must, but I love the feel of a real book and look of a real book.

I don't like reading of a computer screen, much. For short things, like this group it's fine. However, if I have to read more than one page, I usually print it out. I find reading off a computer hard on my eyes.

I like to curl up with a book and manually turn the pages.

Teddy

message 6: by Chrystal714 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Chrystal714 | 17 comments Teddy: it isn't like a computer screen. It isn't back lit. I can't pretend to know how it works but they call it true paper technology or something like that.

I love 2 things about it. The eco friendlyness of it. Not only is it not killing tree's it isn't pouring more noxious admitions in the air from being shipped. Also I love the idea of having all my books at my finger tips, and the ability to buy new ones quickly. Well I guess three things. The ebooks are cheaper.

message 7: by Chrystal714 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

Chrystal714 | 17 comments Firecat I couldn't get the link to work.

message 8: by Stef (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Stef (firecat) | 52 comments Chrystal714, sorry about that. Trying again: http://www.bookeen.com

message 9: by Chrystal714 (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

Chrystal714 | 17 comments Thank you yes that link worked. I think I like the kindle better. If only because of the keyboard.

message 10: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:07PM) (new)

Grumpus | 1086 comments Readers go electronic - and that's not a bad thing

[http://www.tinyurl.com/2qw6pq]

Don't know how old everyone is but its not so much about us anymore but the generation behind us. Its about how THEY want to consumer information. Nobody understands that more than me--a newspaper employee.

message 11: by Johnsergeant (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:10PM) (new)

Johnsergeant | 37 comments Well Grumpus,

As a technology early adopter, I am really intrigued by the Kindle, but since most of my reading is done by listening I couldn't justify getting one for myself, so I did the next best thing - I have ordered one for my wife as a Christmas present! She still reads paper, so I think she'll like it.

JSergeant

message 12: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:12PM) (new)

Grumpus | 1086 comments Johnsergeant,

Hope you'll share your (and your wife's) opinion of it with us after she receives it. Thanks!

message 13: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1086 comments Target now selling Sony's digital book reader for $299.

I finally saw and got to play with the Kindle for a weekend and love it. Price is still too high but I was wondering if anyone has actually compared the Kindle to Sony's reader?

message 14: by Lori (new)

Lori (twizzle777) | 223 comments After months of reading about the Kindle, I finally saved up the money and bought one. I got it this last weekend. I really love it! I haven't listened to anything on it, but I found myself trying to turn the page the "normal" way instead of with a button.

message 15: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 66 comments I know, I've decided I really want one of these, but they are SO expensive. :-(

message 16: by S.G (new)

S.G | 91 comments Yes Dacia, just think how many used books for $1 or less you can buy and read, than the not so new toy the Kindle. It work great for us at work in proofing and general work on authors file when the editors are out and about, or so they claim. As a reading tool, I tried it once ... for a while. But I'm bias, I don't really like to read, I listen.

But it may be a cool item to fling around for a while. If you can afford it, buy it flash and trash it. It is the American way. Unfortunately it will not replace a paper book.

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim (timcampbell) | 1 comments S.G., you and I are of a common mind as far as the $1 books are concerned. I love junk and consignment shops. We have one locally that sells books by the pound (.29/#). What's the last thing you can remember that was twenty nine cents a pound!! Then when you're done, you can give them to someone else to read, or donate them to a thrift shop. Most of them are for charitable causes anyway.

message 18: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 66 comments Oh, I love used book stores too - but they are getting more and more rare. I also live out in the middle of nowhere, so getting to a bookstore is not always easy.

Mostly, however, I want the Kindle because it would make textbooks for my MBA classes so much easier. I may actually decide to splurge for one since e-books for college are usually significantly cheaper than even used textbooks.

message 19: by S.G (new)

S.G | 91 comments Absolutely Dacia, that is probably the best reason you can have to substantiate a purchase of one. Prices of College textbooks even used is crazy.

message 20: by Gina (new)

Gina (accesette) The Kindle sounds great for a lot of people, textbooks are just one example. I (and my back) would have loved one in high school & college. But I do worry about what happens to the books I've purchased for the Kindle when that format is no longer the in thing. Any book I own I will be able to read forever. But what happens to the books that I purchased to read on the Kindle when the Kindle no longer works? We can read books that were written thousands of years ago, will be able to say the same thing about the Kindle?

That's not to say that I won't buy one when the price goes down. :)

message 21: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kennedy (sysguy) | 7 comments The Kindle is not available in Canada yet but the Sony E-Book reader is. It is a little cheaper than the Kindle and Sony recently added support for Adobe EBooks as well as the standard ePub Ebook format.
I picked up the Sony reader for myself about a month ago and am very happy with it! I have purchased books from Sony as well as from other sites including directly from some publishers sites. Prices have been reasonable for the books that I picked up and Sony does offer savings coupons a couple of times a month (as well as the occasional free ebook).
I like the fact that I can have 100+ books with me when I travel (I have also loaded all of my Canon manuals for my Flashes,Camera Bodies etc on it).
In addition books bought via the Sony store you can download anytime to any of your authorized devices (laptops,PCs and readers).
One thing I don't like is the fact that I can't share books with other people.
While the reader won't replace all books that I read it does have a place for some of my books.
All in all I am very happy with the Sony reader and do not regret my purchase.

message 22: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kennedy (sysguy) | 7 comments Grumpus
I have not seen a Kindle yet but here are the few things that I know about the differences.
The Kindle has a built in EVDO card which is how you purchase books wirelessly. With this connectivity you can also download newspaper subscriptions and RSS feeds directly to the device. You can also transfer your own content to the device but it has to be sent to Amazon via email (you send to your device) where it gets DRM'd and sent to the device.
You can only buy books via the Amazon Web Store with one click.
From what I understand you can do searches for specific words with the Kindle and I believe you can do some web browsing. The only source for books is currently Amazon.
One thing that I have heard with the Kindle is that a lot of people inadvertently change turn the page by hitting the next page button accidentally. Apparently it is a little awkward to hold at first.
You can also use the device to listen to Audible and audio books.
The Sony Reader, a lot changed with a firmware upgrade at the end of July. Sony added enhanced Adobe PDF Ebook support and with Adobe Digital Editions software on your system you can transfer adobe DRMd books purchased on other sites (it works OK). There are some issue with the fonts and formatting of the pages with these books but it's livable. Generally the small font is too small to read and if you set the font to medium it takes 1 page and turns it into 1.5 pages. I can live with it.
In addition the firmware update added support for the Industry Standard EPub book format.
Transferring books or documents to the device requires the Sony Ebook library on your system (no Mac support yet). This software works very much like iTunes. You can authorize up to 6 devices (PCS or Readers) to your account. Mac users can add books to SD or Memory Stick Pro cards (or run windows in VMWARE Fusion or Parallels) and transfer to the device that way or use the device as a USB hard Drive to access the internal memory.
The unit also charges off of a USB cable connected to a PC and an AC charger is available from Sony for 30.00 (BTW I understand that a PSP AC Adapter will also work).
The device can play back unprotected AAC files and MP3 files stored on internal memory and on the SD or MMP cards.
Battery life is rated at approximately 7500 page turns. In just over a month of owning one, I did my initial charge and have read 4 books on it, So far it has dropped to 3 bars and I have only plugged it in to install more books on it.
Books can be purchased on the Sony Ebook store and can also from any site that sells PDF Ebooks including from many of the book publishers directly. Prices on the Sony Store range from 3.00 to 7.00 for older titles and about 11.00 to 14.00 or more for newer releases. While the Sony store does not have as many books as Amazon, the ability to purchase form other sellers makes up for that in part.
You can add RSS feeds to the Sony however you have set it up in Software and sync them to your device. Not sure if you can just add any feed either.
Form factor is pretty good and I have not had an issue with accidentally turning pages. I find it very comfortable to hold.
The Sony is available in the US, Canada and the as of early Sept. in the UK. Here in Canada the Sony Stores are telling me they can't keep them on the shelves. Currently there is a promo from Sony (Canada only?) that if you buy a reader you get a 25.00 USD bookstore credit as well 100 ebook classics from Sony.

Pros for the Kindle -
Larger selection of Books from Amazon
Purchase books from almost anywhere
Audible Book support
search able text
web browsing?
newspaper and RSS Subscriptions
Cons for the Kindle
Tied to Amazon
More expensive than the Sony
Only in the US
Small fee (.10$) for adding your own content via email (Kindle owners correct me if I am wrong here)
Pros for Sony
Cheaper than Kindle
Available in the US, Canada and the UK
More book format support including epub standard
easy to add your own content to the device.
Purchase form other ebook retailers including some publishers directly.
Nice form factor
Cons for the Sony
No AC adaptor
non user replaceable battery
Sony has limited books currently (but they are adding more)
No Audible book support
No wireless or network capabilities
limited RSS feed support
Requires Sony Software and no current Mac Support

Sorry for the long post and if I made any errors on the Kindle specs please correct me.
I showed the Sony to my mother and although she originally said she would prefer books, after she saw the reader adn thought about it she had me order one (new Sangria Red Model) for her as they are going on a 3 week cruise/trip next month and she says it'll be perfect for that.
As I said in my earlier post, I am very happy with my Sony and for me it does everything I need it to do.
Stephen

message 23: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 175 comments Wow, Stephen, thanks for taking the time to post that comprehensive summary. This answers most of my questions.

message 24: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4776 comments Stephen --

Does your library offer downloadable e-books? Curious if that works for you instead of buying.

message 25: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kennedy (sysguy) | 7 comments John,
Yes I just discovered (accidentally) that they do. I actually found out after upgrading my Zune with the new firmware last week to support Audible and Audioboks. If the books are in protected Adobe format it shouldn't be a problem.
I downloaded a free Neil Gaiman book to my reader last week and it had a 30 day restriction on it. Using the free adobe Digital Editions software I was able to transfer the book to my Sony. If the books from my Library all the same I shouldn't have a problem.
I will be investigating when I get back home this week and I can post results here. But again I don't think it will e too much of an issue.
BTW To add to my above post. I found some open source software yesterday called Calibre that runs on Macs, PC and Linux and can convert various documents to the Sony format. I will play around with that a little too when I get home this week.

message 26: by Stef (new)

Stef (firecat) | 52 comments Has anyone tried PDF e-books on either the Kindle or the Sony Reader? I have heard that they don't really support PDF format very well.

Not only are there loads of free books on PDF (via Project Gutenberg and elsewhere) but also if I were to buy a reader, I would want to load my knitting patterns onto it (that I've saved in PDF format).

I would need to be able to zoom PDFs and view them in horizontal format for a reader to be of use to me.

message 27: by Stephen (last edited Sep 21, 2008 02:21PM) (new)

Stephen Kennedy (sysguy) | 7 comments Firecat,
Like I indicated in my earlier post the Sony does handle PDF eBooks reasonably well. However graphic heavy PDF's are not great. I have loaded the manuals for my Canon Cameras on there. Turning pages for these types of PDF files is very slow and painful however they don't look too bad on the device. Unfortunately Canon protects the documents from editing so I can optimize them for the Sony reader.
I would suggest purchasing one where you can return it and trying it out with the types of documents you want to load on the device first.

I have not downloaded any ebooks from Project Gutenburg yet but I have purchased some and while there is some minor annoyances (default small font is too small) at Medium font it reflows a single page into 1.5 pages. Doesn't bother me that much. I have figured out when to hit the next page button so that by the time I end the page I am reading, the device has changed the page for me.

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 175 comments Stephen, I have a Zune mp3 player and my library's downloadable audiobooks are not compatible with it. If you have success, please let me know.

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Kennedy (sysguy) | 7 comments Firecat... Sorry I forgot to mention that you can view documents in Landscape mode on the Sony Reader. Not sure about zooming PDFs however.

Barbara - I actually found out about my Library's program through the new Zune Firmware/Software update last week. My library is listed with Overdrive.com which is one of the supported methods of putting audio books on the device. I just got home from a week long trip so I haven't had a chance to experiment yet. However I was able to get an Audible Book on my Zune after the firmware.

message 30: by Barbara (last edited Sep 22, 2008 07:15PM) (new)

Barbara | 175 comments Oh, I'm afraid to get too excited about that, Stephen. But, I am going to check with my library to see if they do Overdrive.

message 31: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4776 comments The other library audio download service, Netlibrary, offers both .wma and .mp3 versions of many titles.

message 32: by S.G (new)

S.G | 91 comments Kindle, kindle and whats new, ... Readius. A first pocket e-book reader. A flexible rollout electroporetic display (e-paper) and wireless connection. It refreshes in 0.5 seconds.
my next gadget?, and somehow I feel I should get paid for telling you about this. Being a avid audiobook listener I will never use this gadget. But here it is.

message 33: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1086 comments Kindle Rival Coming Soon

According to a Cnet review, the new eSlick e-book reader from Foxit Software will hit early next year at a price cheaper than the current market leaders, the Sony Reader and the Amazon Kindle.

Due in early March, the eSlick will have an introductory price of $230 USD but will also be a pretty simple machine lacking built-in wireless. Foxit is a company known only for their excellent PDF software so the eSlick should read all PDFs without a hitch.

The device will use the same E-ink technology as its competitors and will come with a 2GB SD card for use in the available expansion slot.

Critics of the Kindle and the Reader have complained about the PDF support of each of the devices but Sony addressed concerns with its latest device, the PRS-700.

[www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/16408....]

message 34: by Dacia (new)

Dacia | 66 comments That doesn't appeal to me AT ALL. My major draw to the Kindle is it's wireless feature. It is the only thing that is even making me CONSIDER spending $350 on an e-book reader. Without the wireless feature, anything over about $100 just wouldn't seem feasible in my mind.

message 35: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 1086 comments I totally agree...the wireless feature is what I want in a reader once the price comes down. I post this not as an endorsement but just a new alternative.

message 36: by Ancestral (last edited Apr 05, 2012 10:59AM) (new)

Ancestral Gael (gaidheal) | 168 comments As one who works with computers all day, I am adverse to the idea of a Kindle. Audiobooks on an iPod is likely to be the only technology I'll use to to read books; otherwise I prefer the real, paper and hardback books.

message 37: by John, Moderator (new)

John | 4776 comments I find my e-reader preferable to lugging around (and holding up!) books of several hundred pages.

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra (debralee) | 6 comments I read a book a day on the average - and find I now resent reading a paper version. Portability, adjustable font, hands free reading, the occasional text to speech ... dead tree books just don't give me those options.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.)  | 1802 comments I read on my Kindle and on my ipod touch but I still primarily read print books from the library. There is nothing better to me that a brand new book.

message 40: by Charlene (new)

Charlene Intriago | 19 comments I use my Kindle mostly when traveling and have used it to "check out" books from my local library. I listen to audio books on the road. But when I'm home it's a print book for me!