Horror Aficionados discussion

Short Stories > Christmas Horror Stories?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason | 176 comments Anyone know of any?

message 2: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) | -5 comments The thought of a fat man in a red suit sneaking down my chimney in the middle of the night is enough horror for me! LOL But he leaves goodies so that's a plus.

message 3: by Nancy (last edited Dec 20, 2008 11:27AM) (new)

Nancy | 13 comments Here's a couple of Christmas horror shorts by one of my favorite unknown authors:

The Cabin at the Top of the World

The Boy Who Killed Santa Claus

message 4: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (slayerfan1975) The best ghost story of all, A Christmas Carol :)
Yeah I know, a stretch. I try :)

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 184 comments There was at the library an anthology of Christmas ghost storis (horror). Can't remember the title. I did read it last year--I remember checking it out. But can't go to the library today and get the title for you--they're closed for Christmas Eve and day, like rest of the County. Google Christmas horror stories and books and see what comes up? Like someone else said, The Christmas Carol, is a classic.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 184 comments I forgot this one--almost. I bought it when a reader's group I was with suggested this to read for our December meeting three years ago. It has zombies and more. From Christopher Moore's website--seems there's a new chapter added since the version i have. I loved it.

The Stupidest Angel
A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror

by Christopher Moore

The Stupidest Angel is back - now with a new chapter!

'Twas the night (okay, more like the week) before Christmas, and all through the tiny community of Pine Cove, California, people are busy buying, wrapping, packing, and generally getting into the holiday spirit.

But not everybody is feeling the joy. Little Joshua Barker is in desperate need of a holiday miracle. No, he's not on his deathbed; no, his dog hasn't run away from home. But Josh is sure that he saw Santa take a shovel to the head, and now the seven-year-old has only one prayer: Please, Santa, come back from the dead.

But hold on! There's an angel waiting in the wings. (Wings, get it?) It's none other than the Archangel Raziel come to Earth seeking a small child with a wish that needs granting. Unfortunately, our angel's not sporting the brightest halo in the bunch, and before you can say "Kris Kringle," he's botched his sacred mission and sent the residents of Pine Cove headlong into Christmas chaos, culminating in the most hilarious and horrifying holiday party the town has ever seen.

Move over, Charles Dickens -- it's Christopher Moore time.

ISBN: 0060842350
Published by William Morrow
hardcover | 14.95

message 7: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments In England, Christmas was traditionally THE time to tell ghost stories (not All Hallows Eve, oddly). Thus you get classics like A CHRISTMAS CAROL but there are a ton more British stories. There have been a few collections. Off the top of my head I can recommend "Knackles" by Harlan Ellison (about the anti-claus) and Ramsey Campbell's "Christmas Present" (which is so good it's scary!) and "Decorations" (which is about one of those big, plastic Santa Claus' that people put on their roofs, and maybe also about generational insanity).

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 184 comments Wolfsbane and Mistletoe anthology. Came out last year. Edited by Charlaine Harris and another person. Just got it from library couple of weeks ago--long list of holds.

message 9: by Scott (new)

Scott Ah, "Nackles," the Twilight Zone episode that never was!

message 10: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 1168 comments Scott wrote: "Ah, "Nackles," the Twilight Zone episode that never was!"

Yup, Harlan always seems to get that result (sometimes it's his own fault, but not that time!)

message 11: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Wasn't Harlan working on some script for an episode of Star Trek back in the sixties and got into it with Gene Rodenberry?

message 12: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 184 comments City on the Edge of Forever.

message 13: by Chris (last edited Apr 09, 2009 07:17AM) (new)

Chris (flahorrorwriter) | 2867 comments I liked the Christopher Moore novel. Never read the Dickens story, but I've written a few Christmas-themed short stories, "Satan Claws" and "The Werewolf That Saved Christmas."

message 14: by Tressa (last edited Apr 09, 2009 07:30AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments That's it, Pamela. Wasn't some character about to see God at the edge of the world? The premise sounded pretty interesting; I don't remember the exact reason why it never got off the ground.

message 15: by Scott (last edited Apr 09, 2009 07:56AM) (new)

Scott They made the episode, however

On March 13, 2009, Ellison filed a lawsuit against CBS Paramount Television, seeking payment of 25% of net receipts from merchandising, publishing, and other income from the episode since 1967.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Oh. It's not like I'm an avid ST fan. Was it a good episode?

message 17: by Scott (new)

Scott It's William Shatner's favourite!

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Tells me all I need to know. I thought "The Trouble with Tribbles" was his favorite.

message 19: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Sydlik | 45 comments I'm not a huge sci-fi fan, especially the outer space stuff, but I do like the original Star Trek. And "City on the Edge of Forever" was a phenomenal episode. A 2-parter, I think?

message 20: by Andrew (last edited Apr 09, 2009 09:30AM) (new)

Andrew Sydlik | 45 comments I actually wrote a flash fiction piece a while back called "The Condemnation of St. Nicholas." Its premise was that pagan forces were incensed by St. Nicholas' cruelty and hypocrisy, and so forced him to take on the role of Santa Claus as punishment.

message 21: by Kristy (new)

Kristy (kristabela) | 121 comments So, there's this book... More Phobias: Phobias II. I think it's out of print. It's by a chick named Wendy Webb and it's a bunch of short's about phobias. There's a pretty nasty one involving santa claus. It's a pretty good read. I think you can get used copies pretty cheap on amazon.

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 184 comments Nope, just the one ep. You're thinking of Menagerie, which was a two-parter.

message 23: by Barbie (new)

Barbie Curtice How about "Santa Steps Out" by Robert Devereaux. As the book states its a Fairy Tale for Grown-ups.

message 24: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3691 comments You might want to check these out from a newer author:

Christmas Shopping by Angel Gelique by Angel Gelique

and

Merry Murder by Angel Gelique by Angel Gelique

These are not your typical Christmas stories - these are Christmas stories with a twist. :)

message 25: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1639 comments Zombie Santa Claus and Christmas books:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...

message 26: by Dez (new)

Dez Nemec | 55 comments Dark Regions published a lovely book called Christmas Horrors Vol.1. You can find it here: https://darkregions.com/collections/a...

message 27: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Carrie wrote: "The best ghost story of all, A Christmas Carol :)
Yeah I know, a stretch. I try :)"

Always a Classic.

There's a scarier take-off on it worth reading that's novella length.

A Christmas Tale by Austin Crawley

message 28: by Char (last edited Oct 09, 2017 06:21AM) (new)

Char  | 16707 comments Mod
Valancourt Books came out with a Christmas ghost story anthology last year. The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories.

I thought I saw another one was coming out this year, but I can't seem to locate it on here yet.

message 29: by Mixofsunandcloud (new)

Mixofsunandcloud | 538 comments The Christopher Moore one is a frequent re-read for me at Christmas, along with Hogfather, which is not horror, really.
I haven't read them, but there are different stories featuring Krampus that people bring up every year. I can't remember if Krampus or Krampusnacht is the one I've heard more good things about.
Abandon takes place on Christmas Day, but I don't remember anything particularly Christmassy about it.

message 30: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2478 comments Possibly no ones mentioned it because it’s obvious but NOS4A2.

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 334 comments Dickens' story, "The Signalman" always seems to get high marks in this sub-genre of Christmas ghost stories. Haven't read it yet.. perhaps this Christmas season.

message 32: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Char wrote: "Valancourt Books came out with a Christmas ghost story anthology last year. The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories.

I thought I saw another one was coming out thi..."

Are these traditional or modern? I like both but like to know.

message 33: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Lena wrote: "Possibly no ones mentioned it because it’s obvious but NOS4A2."

That's Christmas related? It's already on my tbr.

message 34: by WendyB (new)

message 35: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3691 comments @ Wendy - thanks for adding those Christmas books - I added the Edward Lorn to my tbr pile. I am going to try and read those around Christmas. :)

message 36: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3292 comments Mod
Marie wrote: "@ Wendy - thanks for adding those Christmas books - I added the Edward Lorn to my tbr pile. I am going to try and read those around Christmas. :)"

You're welcome, Marie. They're an ...interesting... twist on the holiday. ;)

message 37: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Marie wrote: "@ Wendy - thanks for adding those Christmas books - I added the Edward Lorn to my tbr pile. I am going to try and read those around Christmas. :)"

I have those on my Kindle. We should get a group read going.

message 38: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3691 comments Aaron wrote: "Marie wrote: "@ Wendy - thanks for adding those Christmas books - I added the Edward Lorn to my tbr pile. I am going to try and read those around Christmas. :)"

I have those on my Kindle. We shoul..."

We could do a buddy read closer to Christmas if you want and see if we could get some more members involved. That would be cool! :)

message 39: by Marie (last edited Oct 14, 2017 05:25PM) (new)

Marie | 3691 comments I had to edit this comment as I thought I had ordered the books but I haven't, but I am going to send off for it and see if I can get them in, so we could all do a buddy read. :)

message 40: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11129 comments Mod
Char wrote: "Valancourt Books came out with a Christmas ghost story anthology last year. The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories.

I thought I saw another one was coming out thi..."

what?!?! I'm going to have to save up and place a big order with them. remember last year when I TRIED to bring this tradition back? :(

message 41: by Latasha (new)

Robert wrote: "Dickens' story, "The Signalman" always seems to get high marks in this sub-genre of Christmas ghost stories. Haven't read it yet.. perhaps this Christmas season."

oh! that's a good one.

message 42: by Latasha (new)

Aaron wrote: "Char wrote: "Valancourt Books came out with a Christmas ghost story anthology last year. The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories.

I thought I saw another one was c..."

if I had to guess, I'd say traditional.

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Aaron wrote: "Lena wrote: "Possibly no ones mentioned it because it’s obvious but NOS4A2."

That's Christmas related? It's already on my tbr."

the audiobook is superb! it's in my top 3 audiobooks ever.

message 44: by Latasha (new)

Marie wrote: "Aaron wrote: "Marie wrote: "@ Wendy - thanks for adding those Christmas books - I added the Edward Lorn to my tbr pile. I am going to try and read those around Christmas. :)"

I have those on my Ki..."

I would be interested in that.

message 45: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3691 comments Latasha wrote: "Marie wrote: "Aaron wrote: "Marie wrote: "@ Wendy - thanks for adding those Christmas books - I added the Edward Lorn to my tbr pile. I am going to try and read those around Christmas. :)"

I have ..."

I am going to try and order the book from amazon as it is a 3 book series combined into one paperback. It would be cool to read it around Christmas. :)

message 46: by Latasha (new)

!!! I was looking through a collection I have an found..!! Get ready, this is exciting!!
"The Christmas banquet" by NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE!!
I don't know about y'all but I LOVE his short stories.

message 47: by Marie (new)

Marie | 3691 comments Latasha wrote: "!!! I was looking through a collection I have an found..!! Get ready, this is exciting!!
"The Christmas banquet" by NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE!!
I don't know about y'all but I LOVE his short stories."

I will join you on that Latasha! I just bought it off amazon. A real Christmas story. Let me know when you want to start. :)

message 48: by Latasha (new)

Anytime works for me.

message 49: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Marie wrote: "We could do a buddy read closer to Christmas if you want and see if we could get some more members involved. That would be cool! :)"

I'm up for it. Sometime in December?

message 50: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Archer | 36 comments Latasha wrote: "the audiobook is superb! it's in my top 3 audiobooks ever."

I do recommend this one. Have a listen of the sample!

https://www.amazon.com/A-Christmas-Ta...

« previous 1