Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
This topic is about Angelfall
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Angelfall by Susan Ee, start: April 12th 2012

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Apr 01, 2012 08:59AM) (new) - added it

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments

This will be an open discussion of Angelfall by Susan Ee. PLEASE EXPECT SPOILERS!

Goodreads Synopsis:
It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.

Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.

Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.

Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

message 2: by Heather (last edited Apr 01, 2012 08:58AM) (new) - added it

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments Welcome to our "Buddy Read".
Stop by and say "Hi" and while you're here let us know what your thoughts are on the book. OR stay and answer discussion questions, volunteer to post some, or just chose to comment on the ones you want.

Date                       Chapters               PPDQs*
April 12th               Chp. 1                      Heather
April 13th               Chp.                     
April 14th               Chp.                     
April 15th               Chp.          
April 16th               Chp.                  

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

Participants (thus far)

message 3: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20593 comments I'm tempted, Heather. Let me see if I can squeeze it in.

Lara | 2250 comments I'll join in reading. I bought this a while back and have been impressed by the reviews.

message 5: by Heather (last edited Apr 01, 2012 11:27AM) (new) - added it

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments Glad to have you both if you can work it in.

message 6: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - added it

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm going to try to fit this is. If I don't read it, I'll be lurking around to see what ya'll think :)

Lara | 2250 comments Okay, so I couldn't remember what books I was reading for what, and read this on Sunday. I really enjoyed it and am really looking forward to the discussion.

~Megan~ (Megadee) Is everyone starting this one tomorrow still?

message 9: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20593 comments I'm still tempted, Megan; haven't made up my mind yet.

message 10: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (MessyBar) | 1307 comments I'll be picking this up after work tonight as long as all the other stuff in my world allows it.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5554 comments Ok, does anyone mind if I do the first set of questions for this? Are you all still reading it?

~Megan~ (Megadee) Please do, CaroB...I'm starting this today, and I can do the next set of questions if you'd like!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5554 comments CaroB's questions for Chapters 1-7

hidden in spoiler so I don't ruin it for anyone...

(view spoiler)

~Megan~ (Megadee) Megan's Answers for Chapter 1-7

(view spoiler)

~Megan~ (Megadee) Megan's Questions for Chapters 8-14

(view spoiler)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5554 comments Megan:

1. You're right, the intensity from the word go does suck you right in.

2. I agree, post apocalyptic and Young-Adult in particular lend themselves to first person POV.

3. I had a couple of flashbacks to the hunger Games also, with incompetent mother, little sister and dad out of the picture. Fingers crossed about the outcome!

4. that's my hope also.

6. Very true! We need more back-story.

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5554 comments Megan's Questions for Chapters 8-14

[8. Who says I belong in Heaven? Is it just me or is the mythology of angels slightly confusing here? I want to know more about what this "war" is all about.
No I definitely agree with that! I'm not sure what it's all about yet. Have you read any of [author:Nalini Singh|71688]'s Guild Hunter series, Megan? The concept of angels as fallible, powerful beings is done really well.

9. See­ing what she did to this man, I can’t help but won­der if that’s a good thing. She has pur­pose­ly missed his heart, and he will slow­ly bleed to death. Again with the creepy Mom....is she just extremely crazy, or does her insanity have some significance to the overall story? Have the angels been speaking to her for years? She said something about "don't make promises to them you can't keep." Is she speaking from personal experience? I know! So far what I'm reading is keeping me enthralled, but definitely making me ask more questions that it's answering. My guess is mum is somehow linked to the "bad angels".

10. And we finally have a name! Raffe. Hot or not? LOL! Meh. Not fussed on the name, but liking the character so far.

11. Do you think Raffe is telling the truth when he says he has no clue why the angels are here destroying the humans? What can they possibly want with the children?? I don't beleive he wouldn't know. It sounded like they asked him to join them and he refused. He had to know what he was refusing to join, I think there's more behind that.

12. Awww, he held her when she had a nightmare. I already love him. I think Penryn is a little torn at this point. Blind hatred is hard to hold onto once you begin to really learn about someone. Especially when you fight beside each other. I think the more they depend on each other, the more the respect will grow...

13. So the only way to kill an angel is with an angel sword, which you need permission from a sword that knows your intentions to use? Wow, that makes it kind hard. I'm hoping the sword will get more action here, it seems a little like it could be a mini character in itself... a little like Slayer in the Kate Daniels series.

14. Ew! They ate cat food! Desperate times... I couldn't get over the smell personally, but then I'm not starving..

15. OMG, do you think Penryn's Mom killed the little kid? Like Penryn, I sincerely hope not. How weird would it be to walk through the world finding signs of your mother's presence at sites of carnage? The amount of times she is being mentioned is making me think she will be important at some point. Also, a band of feral cannibal children might freak me out even more than the Mom. I have a thing about creepy little kids. It's obvious the mum is using the corpses to leave some kind of messages, but I don't know what they're supposed to say. And yeah, carnivore kids freaks me out at this point because even when they're the bad guys, I can't condone actually hurting them.

16. No, Raffe's been taken!! Who are these mysterious men? They sort of seem like military in the way they attacked, right? That would make sense, from the description.

~Megan~ (Megadee) CaroB:

8. I have read the Guild Hunters series, and I agree it's really well done there.

13. Having read on, I must say that I love the sword! It does become like another character in some ways.

14. I think the smell would do me in, too LOL! She said it tasted fishy as well...ugh.

~Megan~ (Megadee) Did you finish yet, CaroB? I think we're the only two reading it!

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5554 comments I haven't yet, Real Life has been a major distraction in the last couple of days. We are having our house auctioned in 3 hours time (ARGH!) so I've done a lot of nail biting and not much reading. Hoping to finish it tonight, sorry.

It's a great book so far, though, it's a pity we didn't have more people join us for this.

~Megan~ (Megadee) No problem! Real life is annoying when it takes away from reading one lol! Let's discuss once you finish. I was blown away by the ending!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Angelfall (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Susan Ee (other topics)