Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

Good Buys > April 2012 Purchases

Comments (showing 1-50 of 61) (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 1771 comments Mod
April showers bring May flowers, what do the booksellers bring us? Share your April purchases here.

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc Stanley | 10 comments the addiction made another appearence today...after receiving my copy of the LONDENERS to review...i ran out to use an old Barnes n Noble card and picked up the ROOK by Daniel O'Malley and the Jefferson Key by Steve Berry...Damn...i still have seven books to finish first!

message 3: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Marc...you think seven's a problem? I have at least twenty-thirty on my shelves I haven't read!!
Bought Far from You by Lisa Schroeder with my Amazon gift card today. Thought I'd try another Lisa Schroeder book because it was really cheap.

message 4: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson I bought: The Hero of Ages (Mistborn, #3) by Brandon Sanderson, Graceling (The Seven Kingdoms, #1) by Kristin Cashore, and Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2) by Rachel Hawkins

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc Stanley | 10 comments Colby, 23 is a much deeper problem :) this year the purchase bug seems to be biting more often...and i've got hundreds in these (virtual) shelves...even as i was leaving the store id see another that is at the top of my list...such is life.

message 6: by Marc (new)

Marc Stanley | 10 comments Great choices Rhianna!

message 7: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (TheReadingRebel) | 130 comments I just got:
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

message 8: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Marc wrote: "Colby, 23 is a much deeper problem :) this year the purchase bug seems to be biting more often...and i've got hundreds in these (virtual) shelves...even as i was leaving the store id see another th..."

I know the feeling. I do that all the time.

message 9: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson Marc wrote: "Great choices Rhianna!"

Thanks! :)

message 11: by Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (last edited Apr 04, 2012 11:46AM) (new)

Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (succubus77) | 45 comments Colby wrote: "Marc...you think seven's a problem? I have at least twenty-thirty on my shelves I haven't read!!"

Now I feel really embarrased. I have a shelf on goodreads named "owned-not read" that has 361 books on it. I probably have more than that I just haven't tagged.

I've only bought Through Violet Eyes so far this month.

message 12: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) I bought another one. Because I just now realized that I am an enthusiastic nerdfighter and yet I have never read Let it Snow by John Green. And I met this nerdfighter today (Well, I've already known her, but I just realized she was a nerdfighter today) and she was reading it and I was like DAAAAAAAAAAAH NEED TO READ THAT ONE.

message 13: by Katrina (new)

Katrina (katrinajt) Colby wrote: "I bought another one. Because I just now realized that I am an enthusiastic nerdfighter and yet I have never read Let it Snow by John Green. And I met this nerdfighter today (Well, I've alrea..."

I loved Let It Snow! Enjoy!

message 14: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Yay!

message 15: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (IleanFulton) | 238 comments I just bought "Mobbed" by Carol Higgens Clark paperback from Sam's Club

message 17: by Kris (new)

Kris | 1 comments The dollar store is a great place to get good cheap books.

message 18: by Joseph (last edited Apr 06, 2012 05:49PM) (new)

My first buy of April: The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2) by Saundra Mitchell

message 19: by Joseph (new)

Another couple orders delivered: Vampires A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night by Bob Curran Field Guide to Irish Fairies by Bob Curran Ghastly Glass by Joyce Lavene The Story of Charlotte's Web E.B. White's Eccentric Life in Nature and the Birth of an American Classic by Michael Sims

message 20: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) My mom bought me a copy of The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson

message 21: by Joseph (new)

I'm on a roll. Got some nice finds at Half Price: The Maid by Kimberly Cutter Hex Appeal (Jazz Tremaine, #2) by Linda Wisdom Wicked by Any Other Name (Jazz Tremaine, #3) by Linda Wisdom Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2) by Jenn McKinlay Scaredy Kat by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel Crunch Time (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #16) by Diane Mott Davidson

message 22: by Nicole D. (new)

message 23: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) Just got these books this morning:

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Wench: A Novel by Dolen Perkins-Valdez
Many Bloody Returns short-story collection edited by Charlaine Harris
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Throwaway by Heather Huffman
The Last of the Mohicansby James Fenimore Cooper

Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma Wench A Novel by Dolen Perkins-Valdez Many Bloody Returns by Charlaine Harris A Wrinkle in Time (Time Series, #1) by Madeleine L'Engle Throwaway by Heather Huffman The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper

message 24: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (TheReadingRebel) | 130 comments another Heyer:
Pistols for Two And Other Stories by Georgette Heyer

Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (succubus77) | 45 comments I bought the kindle bundle of The Iron Druid Chronicles Bundle: Hounded, Hexed, Hammered because it also came with two short stories, one I had already read but the other I couldn't find anywhere else.

message 26: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellelisa) | 1 comments I bought a pile of romance novels from kobo for 1.99 each.Must have got 7 or 8. Really good buys.

message 27: by Jocelin (new)

Jocelin | 151 comments So far here is the list so far:
Mia's Baker's Dozen by Coco Simon, Wicked as They Come (Blud, #1) by Delilah S. Dawson, The Saint (Highland Guard, #5) by Monica McCarty, Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9) by John Flanagan, The Boy on Cinnamon Street by Phoebe Stone

message 28: by Prince (new)

Prince Wachiraphong (princhie) | 1 comments Prince M Been keeping an ear out for the doorbell to ring all day. It's one of those days you wonder why the mailman (whom the postal office said was already on his way) takes forever to arrive with your parcel post. :D

The Letters of Ernest Hemingway, Volume 1 1907-1922 by Ernest Hemingway Room Full of Mirrors A Biography of Jimi Hendrix by Charles R. Cross Drawing From Life The Journal as Art by Jennifer New The Artist's Way Starter Kit by Julia Cameron Steal Like an Artist 10 Things Nobody Told You about Being Creative by Austin Kleon

message 29: by Karen M (last edited Apr 11, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Karen M | 379 comments Prince wrote: "Prince M Been keeping an ear out for the doorbell to ring all day. It's one of those days you wonder why the mailman (whom the postal office said was already on his way) takes forever to arrive wit..."

I recently had one box of books delivered early but the second box wasn't with it. I "patiently" waited 2 days and emailed the website where they reminded me it was 10 days to 2 weeks delivery and it was less than 1 week. Of course, the box turned up the next day. LOL Bills I can wait for but not books!

Second box contained:
Trip To The North Pole (The Polar Express The Movie) by Ellen Weiss, Needful Things by Stephen King, The Barrytown Trilogy The Commitments / The Snapper / The Van by Roddy Doyle, The Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy and The Choice by Nicholas Sparks

message 30: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Finally got around to buying Stephen King's On Writing by Stephen King. Can't wait to read. A teacher of mine owns it and says that it really helps him with writing, and he's a great author, so I'm really excited to see what it's like.

message 32: by Joy (last edited Apr 12, 2012 12:23AM) (new)

Joy (joyful_reader) | 74 comments Split Second
Hour Game
Simple Genius

So far I have only bought 9 books this year!!! GASP!!! Unheard of for me!

message 33: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments I went to a yard sale today and bought a yard of books for $10.00. Some of my purchases are: Smilla's Sense of Snow by Peter Høeg Point Of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9) by Patricia Cornwell Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1) by Patricia Cornwell The Scold's Bridle by Minette Walters The Last Precinct (Kay Scarpetta, #11) by Patricia Cornwell The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5) by Patricia Cornwell Cause Of Death  by Patricia Cornwell From Potter's Field (Kay Scarpetta, #6) by Patricia Cornwell Silent Witness by Richard North Patterson Undone by Michael Kimball Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2) by V.C. Andrews

message 34: by Jesse (last edited Apr 21, 2012 04:53AM) (new)

Jesse (Jengri) | 14 comments I got a gift card, so technically I still didn't break my "no more buying books until December" rule:

Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge Horns by Joe Hill The Bachman Books Four Early Novels by Stephen King by Stephen King Brave New World by Aldous Huxley No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy A Choir of Ill Children by Tom Piccirilli The Hollower by Mary Sangiovanni The Missing (Keeper, #2) by Sarah Langan Audrey's Door by Sarah Langan Seven Sorcerers by Caro King One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury 2001 A Space Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke The Survivor by James Herbert Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1) by Lemony Snicket The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2) by Lemony Snicket The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3) by Lemony Snicket The Passage (The Passage #1) by Justin Cronin Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) by J.K. Rowling The Never War (Pendragon, #3) by D.J. MacHale Black Water (Pendragon, #5) by D.J. MacHale The Reality Bug by D.J. MacHale The Lost City of Faar by D.J. MacHale Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti

Got another gift card:

Afterlife by Douglas Clegg Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly The Infernals A Samuel Johnson Tale by John Connolly The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played With Fire (Millennium, #2) by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium, #3) by Stieg Larsson Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Bantam Classics) by Lewis Carroll His Dark Materials The Golden Compass / The Subtle Knife / The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman The Bone Parade by Mark Nykanen The Neverending Story by Michael Ende Isis by Douglas Clegg

message 35: by Vikki (last edited Apr 16, 2012 03:30AM) (new)

Vikki (silverstarz) | 65 comments So far I've bought....

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins Judas Kiss (Taylor Jackson, #3) by J.T. Ellison The Lady of the Rivers (The Cousins' War, #3) by Philippa Gregory Elizabeth I by Margaret George

message 36: by Joseph (new)

Bought used: The Sword of Medina by Sherry Jones What a Goddess Wants (Forgotten Goddesses, #1) by Stephanie Julian

message 37: by Kate (last edited Apr 16, 2012 07:35AM) (new)

Kate (KateKSH) | 13 comments Library book sale: 23 books for 10 bucks!

I got several WWii non-fiction and a 2009 Tom Clancy for my husband,
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, April & Oliver by Tess Callahan, The Third Twin by Ken Follett, Motherless Brooklyn A Novel by Jonathan Lethem,
The Vision of Emma Blau by Ursula Hegi Revere Beach Boulevard A Novel (Revere Beach Trilogy/Roland Merullo, Bk 1) by Roland Merullo, American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld,
I'll Take You There by Joyce Carol Oates,
The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald

and a small stack for my sons.

My kind of afternoon! Must say, it's very cool that I have a place to post about my obsession. Happy book-hunting to all!

message 39: by Lea (new)

Lea (LeaDFW) | 215 comments Kate wrote: "Library book sale: 23 books for 10 bucks!

I got several WWii non-fiction and a 2009 Tom Clancy for my husband,
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, April & Oliver by Tess Callahan, [bookcove..."

Nice haul!

message 40: by Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (last edited Apr 18, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

Cristina (a book away from an episode of hoarders) (succubus77) | 45 comments This last weekend I picked up:
Under Wraps (Underworld Detection Agency, #1) by Hannah Jayne Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1) by Dean Koontz Chosen By Blood (Para-Ops, #1) by Virna DePaul Blood Law (Alexandra Sabian, #1) by Jeannie Holmes Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2) by Patricia Briggs Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1) by Charlaine Harris The Laughing Corpse (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #2) by Laurell K. Hamilton

message 41: by Joseph (new)

Just got: Tricked (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #4) by Kevin Hearne

message 42: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) I recently bought Sara Poole's Poison and Nicole Galland's Revenge of the Rose for a very low price at the bookstore. I also ordered a copy of The Little Prince (been meaning to get a copy for myself), Issac Asimov's The End of Eternity and Deborah Harkness's A Discovery of Witches.

message 43: by Ilean (new)

Ilean (IleanFulton) | 238 comments shhhh. I ordered 2 books from doubleday book club. My hubby will find out when I hand him the bill!

message 44: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) Ordered a copy of Paper Towns by John Green for my friend so I can convert him to Nerdfighterism.

message 45: by Shauna (new)

Shauna Castle | 105 comments The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3) by Kimberly Derting for kindle

message 46: by Rhianna (new)

Rhianna Clawson Bought: A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) by Francine Rivers very very good.

message 47: by Aoibhínn (new)

Aoibhínn (aoibhinn) New books I just got on my Kindle today:

The Future of Us by Jay Asher
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith
I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella
War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

The Future of Us by Jay Asher Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith I've Got Your Number by Sophie Kinsella War Horse by Michael Morpurgo

message 48: by Colby (new)

Colby (Colbz) The Future of Us. *sigh* Such potential. Such potential.

message 49: by Joseph (new)

Just got back from getting a signed copy of The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3) by Kimberly Derting

message 50: by Joseph (new)

Got a whopper of a delivery of ordered books today. Whoopee!
The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan The Shape of Desire (A Shifting Circle Novel) by Sharon Shinn Croak (Croak, #1) by Gina Damico Rise of the Wolf (Wereworld, #1) by Curtis Jobling On the Prowl (The Others, #13) by Christine Warren Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers Discount Armageddon (Incryptid, #1) by Seanan McGuire

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Far from You (other topics)
The Hero of Ages (other topics)
Graceling (other topics)
Demonglass (other topics)
The Grand Sophy (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kim Edwards (other topics)
Liane Moriarty (other topics)