Phantom of the Opera discussion

All Things Phantom!! > Favorite songs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 236 (236 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Marlaina (last edited Dec 16, 2008 07:29PM) (new)

Marlaina What is your favorite song in the play/movie? I love music of the night and point of no return, especially the part where erik sings all i ask of you.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I like music of the night and Angle of Music Reprise

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 18 comments I love the part before the duet "All I Ask of You", especially when Christine sings "But his voice filled my spirit with a strange sweet song..." using the melodic line from "Music of the Night' is very haunting.

I also like "Music of the Night." (Of course.) "All I Ask of You" (Reprise) when Phantom sings part of his love for Christine.

I guess I pretty much love it all...well, okay, so I'm not so crazy about "Lasso", "Stranger than you dream it" or "Notes (version 2)"...

message 4: by Marlaina (new)

Marlaina Wishing you were here again is also very good. I particually don't like "stranger than you dream it", and don juan. notes version 1 is very funny.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I like All I ask of you (reprise) too!!

message 6: by Marlaina (last edited Dec 20, 2008 06:40PM) (new)

Marlaina you will cruse the day you did not do all that the phantom asked of you!!!
-all i ask of you (reprise)

message 7: by DoS (new)

DoS | 7 comments I am kind fond of Point of no Return - something in the Phantom's voice that gets to me both in the stage and movie version :O)

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy | 2 comments i loved Past the Point of No Return, The Music of the Night, The Phantom of the Opera ( like the song, u kno?) and Masquerade ( sp?)

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (lilliecat) | 12 comments I love the Overture, The Phantom of the Opera, Music of the Night, Notes, the Don Juan Rehearsal (which I'm still annoyed that they left out of the movie :(, and Point of No Return.

message 10: by Haley (new)

Haley (glorywings00) | 4 comments LOVE THEM ALL IN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!
OVerture, think of me, phantom of the opera, all i ask of you, point of no return, and down once more/track down this meruderer are my absolute favs. and that song that Christine sings before point of no return w/ phantom when shes tell Raoul that shes scared. taht one rocks so much, but its not on the soundtrack

message 11: by Lavanya (last edited Apr 20, 2009 08:57PM) (new)

Lavanya My favorite songs are Music of the Night, Think of Me and Phantom of the Opera . I am watching the 2004 movie version of the PotO for my French II class. We are watching it being said/sung in French. My choir class sang Music of the Night and I'm trying to learn how to play both that song, and Think of Me.

message 12: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments At the top of my favorites list is The Point of No Return; the movie version, of course. I think this one was Gerard Butler's best song--he actually gives me goosebumps. And Emmy Rossum? Amazing. The one I don't like so much would have to be Magical Lasso. Other than that, I love them all.

message 13: by Jeannie (last edited Oct 19, 2010 09:37PM) (new)

Jeannie (serenity77) I love the songs All I ask of you, the point of no return, the phantom of the opera and most of the others... but they are my favs also the part where Christine sings Think of me.

message 14: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments Has anyone else seen this version of Music of the Night? I was nearly moved to tears when I first heard it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Kid...

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 413 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing this Gemma...I wonder if Music Of the Night will ever NOT bring tears to my eyes...no matter how it is played.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I dont really have a favorite I really like all of them its more just bits and peices of certian songs that really have meaning to me. Like in Down Once More from the movie I like
Phantom:This face which earned a mothers fear and loathing a mask my first unfeeling scrap of clothing, PITY COMES TO LATE! TURN AROUND AND FACE YOUR FATE! AN ETERNITY OF THIS!...before your eyes...
Christine:This huanted face holds no horror for me now...its in your soul that the true distortion lies.
*I think it just shows, were he saw a disease, yeah Christine was scared at first she learned and showed the Phantom by uncovering the mirror that his face didn't bother her anymore, it was in his eyes that he thought no one would care for him because of his disfigration.

I agree Gabrielle..its so hard to say which is a favorite as they all do have a special meaning at certain parts...some just start the tears right away for me! I NEVER get sick of listening to the music & it never fails to move me.

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) True confession: I have a CD that I burned with various Phantoms singing Music of the Night -- including Spanish, German, Japanese and Italian. Each voice brings something different to the piece. It's hard to pick just one favorite, but I love Franc d'Ambrosio, Earl Carpenter, Randal Keith and Brad Little's versions.

LOL!! you clever girl!! now thats a CD Id like to hear!! :)

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to hear the Italian version.

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Gabrielle wrote: "I would love to hear the Italian version."

Lucca Velletri is the singer; he is amazing.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you Shannon.
I heard a very good version of Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again in Italian but I don't know who the woman was that sang it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish This thread is being moved to the This & That folder.

message 24: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments One of my favorite bits in Down Once More/Track Down This Murderer has got to be the counterpoint of The Point of No Return and Angel of Music. I've always had a weakness for counterpoint itself, but those melodies in particular just do something no other song can do. And then when you crown it with the kiss... It was Erik's opera that was called Don Juan Triumphant, but that always struck me as the truly triumphant moment. It's like a burst of sunshine in all that darkness.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Gabrielle,
I loved the video!

I created a Fan Fiction thread in the All Things Phantom folder and moved your video link there.

Here's a link to the thread

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you so much!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish You're welcome, Gabrielle! I love fanfiction, when it's done well.

Thanks Dhestiny! And thank you Gabrielle for sharing!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Gabrielle, when I moved the link, it made it an invalid URL. Can you repost it, please? Post it in the FanFic Folder! Thank you!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Never mind, I found the link!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Ok, let me know if you need me to do anything else. I'm just happy everyone likes it.

message 32: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jan 04, 2011 05:26PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Nope, I got it all hooked up. As I was explaining to Sandi, when we post a link on Goodreads, if it's over a certain number of characters, GR abbreviates it and tacks on a "..." ending. The link is still good when clicked on from the original message, but when copying it and pasting it, the "..." has broken the URL, making it invalid. So I did a search based on the information you gave us, found the right video, copied and pasted the URL in its entirety, and voila! It works again!

Thank you again for the video, and for being patient with me!

message 33: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments I'm learning to sing some of these in French. What is it about that language that makes everything sound so much more beautiful and seductive?

By the way, I always thought The Point of No Return was pretty steamy, but then I found the French version and about swooned away!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEoXZ8...

III have to agree with you on that one!thanks Gemma :)

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments I've listened to it in french to thought it was really good but i like the english version better.

message 36: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments Sarah wrote: "I've listened to it in french to thought it was really good but i like the english version better."

Same here. John Owen-Jones doesn't sing it in French.

message 37: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid How, how, how could you ask this question? I LOVE THEM ALL. Except Prima Donna, that one annoyed me... I loved every other one. Wait! There is something I think you would enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4hdXo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZtRJn...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6IveG...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNyFpH...

Wow! Way-chan..thank you for posting the links..no matter what it is sung in french,spanish,korean,ect...the music is always beautiful to me as it comes from the singers soul. Thanks for sharing!

message 39: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 14 comments I love Music of the Night, Phantom of the opera, Angel of Music (the mirror), Point of no return, and All I ask of you and the Reprise to it. I love this music!!!!!

Sarah wrote: "I love Music of the Night, Phantom of the opera, Angel of Music (the mirror), Point of no return, and All I ask of you and the Reprise to it. I love this music!!!!!"

Its really hard to pick a favorite..love them all.. as they really touch your soul.

message 41: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments Amen to that!

message 42: by Artemis (new)

Artemis (artemisknight) | 52 comments Oh yeah, my turn! I like all of the songs in the musical except the last one, when it is too sad to watch or listen to. (I'm such a chicken) And I don't really like All I ask of You after I know what Roaul is really like. The one I absolutely love would The Phantom of the Opera, both the overture and the actual singing, and after all these years of listening to them sing, I'm still awesturck by the last note, it's inhuman! (And I'm proud to inform that I, really my mom, own the very original CD, when she was traveling in England, and actually get to see the opera! She discribed the part when the chandelier fell with great details, and I'm so jealous of her at times.)

From Love Never Dies, the sequel, I like The Coney Island Waltz, Till I Hear You Sing Once More, Look With Your Heart (which always makes me cry because...), I love Beneath A Moonless Sky (many hints in the lyrics, by the way...), "Mother Please, I'm Scared!", Dear Old Friend, Beautiful, and my favorite, The Beauty Underneath. On to the second CD, I like Why Does She Love Me (by Raoul, just so you know, wink.), love Devil Takes The Hindmost, Devil Takes The Hindmost Reprise, Love Never Dies, and I like "Please Miss Giry, I Want To Go Back..." even though again, it makes me cry like heck.

Ah, I don't think I'll ever get tire of the two operas.

I wish I could have seen Love Never Dies the sequel, and pretty much all the songs in POTO makes me cry..

message 44: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 102 comments Mod
Artemis wrote: "Oh yeah, my turn! I like all of the songs in the musical except the last one, when it is too sad to watch or listen to. (I'm such a chicken) And I don't really like All I ask of You after I know wh..."

message 45: by Anne (new)

Anne (spartandax) | 102 comments Mod
I was surprised how much I did like some of the songs from LND since I hated the story of the play. I think "Beneath a moonless Sky" is just gorgeous, in spite of the hints involved-LOL, and also love "The coney Island Waltz" and "till I hear you sing once more." I have not been able to see the POTO play because finances and travel difficulties keep me from being able to go where it is. I would LOVE to see it, and will have to keep hoping it will come to our nearby medium sized city of Gainesville,Fl.

message 46: by Aria (new)

Aria Connor (FettCloneFangirl) | 4 comments I personally like "Beneath A Moonless Sky" and "Till I Hear You Sing" but I despise the lyrics and (dont punjab me plz) I'm not a fan of LND.
In POTO I like "Overture","Angel of Music/The Mirror", "Music of the Night",& "Point of No Return"

Aria wrote: "I personally like "Beneath A Moonless Sky" and "Till I Hear You Sing" but I despise the lyrics and (dont punjab me plz) I'm not a fan of LND.
In POTO I like "Overture","Angel of Music/The Mirror",..."

Those last 5 are my favorite too Aria!

message 48: by Gemma (new)

Gemma | 277 comments I was just listening to Notes 2 last night, and I started to wonder: Does anyone else laugh when Firmin reads "I've managed to assign a rather minor role to those who cannot act" when, speak of the Devil, in comes Carlotta? I chuckle every time.

message 49: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid I think I have a new favorite.
I'm seriously loving We Have All Been Blind
That bit where Christine sings? Wonderful!
"I know I can't refuse, and yet I wish I could."
"Am I to risk my life to win the chance to live?"
"Can I betray the man who once inspired my voice?"

Those are just a few lines from that song. So good.

Way-chan (Aspiring Author) wrote: "I think I have a new favorite.
I'm seriously loving We Have All Been Blind
That bit where Christine sings? Wonderful!
"I know I can't refuse, and yet I wish I could."
"Am I to risk my life to ..."

I agree Way-chan!

« previous 1 3 4 5