Old Books, New Readers discussion

Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
2012 Classic Selections > April Book - Jane Eyre

Comments (showing 51-100 of 125) (125 new)    post a comment »

message 51: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Nowlin-Edens (sara1955) | 139 comments tick tock tick tock LOL - I'll try to get through it tomorrow, but I'm running behind schedule and have another to read as well for review purposes LOL. But then, nothing like giving myself a bit of pressure hehe

Haley Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only procrastinator in this group...

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments We're not procrastinator, just a little bit behind from schedule :DDD Hahahaaa

message 54: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Nowlin-Edens (sara1955) | 139 comments Putting ourselves in the challenge position :D

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Yeah nothing like a good book cram to get the reading done.

Blossom | 13 comments oh...there's a schedule?? I'm 33% done. Not sure where that puts me lol.

Haley It's not a schedule, really. But this is the April read and April is almost over. So we'll start a new book in May, but if people have more to say about Jane Eyre when May comes you can still post on this topic. We're just trying to read a book a month

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) I can't find my copy!!! It was on my dresser and now it's gone!!! And I'm not trying to get out of reading it...I seriously can't find it!!!
I think one of my sibs must have "put it away" in our *ahem* very messy library. I've searched and searched but I just can't find it....I'm going to have to get a copy from the library and cram on Sunday...:/

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) I seriously lost my copy. I think one of my siblings must have "put it away" for me in our *ahem* very messy library...and after I dug through there for and hour or two..I'm going to have to get another copy from my library tomorrow. Sigh, gonna have to cram hard on Sunday....:/

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Oh no! I truly dilike when my younger sibs put my things "Away". But I forgive them. I hope you find your copy, did you look in the bathroom?

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) Yeah, first place..lol. But our library is, like, seriously messy. I'm talking like stacks of books in piles and bookshelves overflowing because we have so many in that room. But we are getting through it....eventually. ;)

Blossom | 13 comments I finished it!

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) Yay!!!! Congrats!!! :D

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Feel free to post your review in this thread. I would love to hear what you thought if it.

message 65: by Blossom (last edited Apr 28, 2012 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blossom | 13 comments My 'review':
It took me awhile longer to read this than I thought it would! I think that is because of the rich descriptions that Bronte uses. A scene is not just a scene until you can actually see it yourself! I wasn't surprised in some spots, like when Helen was going to die, where Mr. Rochester was talking of who he loved to Jane (but still he said Miss Ingram- pshaw!) or when Mr. St. John was talking about the uncle that had died and left his property and money to a sole relative that no one else knew who was. Those parts were easy enough but the rest of the story had me hanging on just about every word. I admit there were many times I wanted to skip over the details to get to the point (one of my faults- I often will read the last page of a book) but I tried my best to stay with the writer.
I loved the characters- well, the nice ones. I disliked Mrs. Reed, Lady and Miss Ingram, and had mixed feelings about St. John. Most of all, though, I love Jane Eyre herself. She has such determination and strength. Where *does* it come from? It must come naturally to her. Her resolve so many times in this is what I would like to say I would have done, but I probably wouldn't have. I cried at least twice, laughed more often than that.
I found it 'interesting' how the underlying Christian morals (?) were almost always there. But it wasn't out of place. Some books I've read that are "Christian" and it seems the reference is just thrown in so it can be called "Christian". Just an observation.
The only thing I didn't 'like' was I could not place their tone while reading. I could not in my mind play their voices as I'm sure they were meant to be portrayed.
I thought it was a great book. I am thinking of watching the movie now. Any suggestions? I found it on Netflix, one from 1944 and one from 1996.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments 21% to go :(
this' just G-R-E-A-T! I'm at Moor House now :D So exciting!!!!

Blossom, I'm watching the last version of the movie. It's 2011, Jane is played by Mia Wasikowska. Check this out : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1229822/

Blossom | 13 comments That looks good, Nissa! I'll see if I can find that one.

Talia (taliafrench) I read Jane Eyre back in November. It's probably one of my all time favorite books, and I love the new version of the movie.

Haley I haven't seen the new version yet, but I'd love to. I think Mia is perfect for Jane. I loved her in the new Alice in Wonderland

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) Argh....my library didn't have a copy!!! Can you believe that!!!! Anyway, as soon as I get a copy...I'm reading it and posting my review. Sucks...:/

message 71: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Nowlin-Edens (sara1955) | 139 comments Tabi - you can get a copy from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Project Gutenburg that you can download. Most are freebies :) If you have akindle or nook you can read that way, or download the pc version of either on their sites.

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) I don't have either...so I guess this means I won't be able to read this months books. Real great for a mod, I know. :( ;)

message 73: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Nowlin-Edens (sara1955) | 139 comments Tabi, if you go to Barnes & Noble or to Amazon you can get the free version of the readers. They sit on your desktop rather than the personal version on a separate device :) That's what I did before I broke down and bought .... both! LOL. Also, if you go to project gutenburg you can get a version that you can read online. All three of those are freebies, although you have to sit at your computer to read them. If you can't find out to get them, message me and I'll help walk you through it.

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) Well, I share a computer with my parents..and only have like two hours on it...so I guess that's out of my league.
Thank you for the offer and help though...:) :)

message 75: by Nissa Tanura (last edited Apr 30, 2012 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Talia, Haley, yes the new version is cool!
Mia is perfect for Jane, I think so. So does Jamie Bell, he did it well as St.John.

Tabi, you can read everything (not only our month books) and gave us your review.
We're glad to get it :)

Sara, you're helping me too! If I can't find some books, I'll contact you.
Please, don't be annoyed :DDD

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments Here is my review.

This book is famous for a reason. A gripping book filled with the trials of a orphan girl, Jane, left in the care of her uncles wife. She is sent to a school and eight years latter leaves it as a governess. She goes to Mr.Rochester house and falls in love with him, is going to be married, but difficulty's arise. In the end she does marry him but not for some time and not before she goes through many hardship.

I know it is a little short but too bad.

message 77: by Sara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sara Nowlin-Edens (sara1955) | 139 comments LOL @ Nissa - no annoyance issues here :) I spend a ton of time doing research for coursework, all online. If I can't find it, I get with fellow students and find it (if it's find-able - if that isn't a word, it is now!)

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Yes Christa, this book is so famous!
I was dreamed to live in the same era with Bronte :))

Sara, I'm so glad to know you! :DDD
Me too! I'm doing research for my associates now, all online. And it's just so annoying when I can't find what I need.

message 79: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I love this book! I know I just joined but I have read it a couple of times so I hope its ok for me to join the discussion!

message 80: by booknut (new)

booknut Hall  | 7 comments I want to catch up and reread this now....all the comments were great. I have always wanted to read this and it has simply not happened.

message 81: by Haley (last edited May 01, 2012 10:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haley Of course it's okay to join the discussion! We can keep talking about the book even though the month is up.

And if you ever find yourself with extra time, I highly recommend reading this book. It's brilliant and Jane is a gear heroine, as well as the fact that the ending is perfect

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments If you have already read it, even if it was not in this group, you are more than welcome to post your reviews. And when you do get around to reading it you can always start up this thread again.

message 83: by Jada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Its weird I just joined this site and I happened to read Jane Eyre the same time this group did :-) small world lol. Loved it. My favorite classic so far. Jane was a great heroine anyone who liked it should also read a great and terrible beauty, rebel angels, and the sweet far thing by lib a bray. Its not a classic but it has similar themes. The heroine Gemma also went to a girl's acdamey for girls in the Victorian era and tries to break away from social norms only instead by entering this fantasical world called The Realms. This land represents humanity's loss of the Garden of Eden.
Read it. :-)
Back to Eyre lol. Loved the imagery and the symbolism of the red room and Mr. Rochester's mad wife. Great and inspiring story.

message 84: by Jada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Haley wrote: "I read the book last year, and we watched this really crappy movie version in school :P I haven't seen the new movie though, but it looked good. I'm excited to reread it; I've been meaning to."

Hey do you know which version you watched? I want to rent it on Netflix and make sure I get a good one.

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 3184 comments I'm not Haley (duh) but I thought I would recommend the 1997 version of Jane Eyre with Ciarán Hinds and Samantha Morton. I have not seen the 2011 version, but this older version is really good. The best acting from some of the best actors.

Haley Well, last year's version might be on Netflix. I don't know which version I watched in school, but I can't imagine it's available on Netflix. It really was bad. So I'd love for the 2011 version or the one Christa just mentioned, the 1997 version. Any other one I'd probably steer clear of, just to be safe :D

message 87: by Jada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments OK thanks Haley and Christa :-)

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Finally, I can finish this book!
And all I can say, it's awesome! Jane's life is not like a princess but she lives the life she was born to live. That's the lesson I got from reading this wonderful book.

This' just great! I can't say more...

Haley That's a really good way of looking at it Nissa. Well put!!

message 90: by Nissa Tanura (last edited May 01, 2012 07:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Haley wrote: "That's a really good way of looking at it Nissa. Well put!!"

Thanks Haley :)
I don't really want to see the romance in this book although it can't be ignore of course.
But when I was in the last chapter, I think Jane is totally a tough woman.
She never blame anyone for her condition, for what happen in her life.
That's all :DDD

Haley Oh see, I thought the romance in this book was perfect, because Jane learned to live without it before she got it back. So it shaped her character throughout the book without defining her character.

Nissa Tanura (nissatanura) | 191 comments Haley wrote: "Oh see, I thought the romance in this book was perfect, because Jane learned to live without it before she got it back. So it shaped her character throughout the book without defining her character."

You got the point, Haley! Couldn't agree more :)

Blossom | 13 comments As for the 'romance' in the book, I thought it was done so well. I've read so many books that just ruin 'romance' in my opinion by turning it into something dirty and inappropriate.
Love the thoughts, Nissa and Haley- very well put. While I was reading it I felt my heart yearn and also break for Jane. She knew what it was to have loved and be loved and she was content with the bit that she'd been graced with.

message 94: by Jada (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jada Stuart (JadasArtVision) | 211 comments Blossom wrote: "As for the 'romance' in the book, I thought it was done so well. I've read so many books that just ruin 'romance' in my opinion by turning it into something dirty and inappropriate.
Love the thoug..."

I completely agree. Also I love how she didn't compromise her virtues with her desires. That takes a lot of self-control and strength. :)

Isabel | 36 comments I´m loving to reread this book; all those details that i dindn't remember... I'm way behind schedule, but the point is, i'm loving it, and besides, what´s the point of reading if not for pleasure?
The part when Bertha sets fire to Rochester's room..... uuuuuu....it's pretty scary.... i could almost hear someone walking through the house - didn´t scream not to scare my husband..... :P Loving it :). Do you know that there's a book by Jean Rhys, called "Wide sargasso sea", which is about Bertha and her madness?.. I'm reading it next (don't know if it´s good or not...)

Talia (taliafrench) I read Wide Sargasso Sea way before I ever read Jane Eyre. I was so utterly confused. I have WSS on my to-read list now that I've re-read Jane Eyre so I can see how they actually fit together.

Isabel | 36 comments Well, i'll add it to my to-read list too, and we'll see :)

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) Jada wrote: "Its weird I just joined this site and I happened to read Jane Eyre the same time this group did :-) small world lol. Loved it. My favorite classic so far. Jane was a great heroine anyone who liked ..."

I'm reading that series right now. Don't really like the first book, but the second is good and I just started the last one.

Varsha (varsha765) | 46 comments Jada wrote: "Blossom wrote: "As for the 'romance' in the book, I thought it was done so well. I've read so many books that just ruin 'romance' in my opinion by turning it into something dirty and inappropriate...."

Hey, guess what. I had Wide Sargasso Sea for my semester this year. Its quite an interesting read. Gives you peek into Bertha's mind and her life.

♠ Tabi ♠ (Tabi_Card) I don't think I want to see what a madperson thinks like...so I don't think I'll read it...;)

unread topics | mark unread