Yoga Folks discussion

Archived threads > Getting out of a yoga slump...

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Jovanhanna brought up a great question recently and I thought I'd start a new thread for it.

I bet most all of us, at one time or another, have found ourselves really unmotivated to practice yoga. Some part of us wants to do it, but we just can't get back in the habit. I've definitely experienced that a lot in the past year!

Some things that have helped me in this situation are:

1. Trying to relax about it and accept that sometimes there will be quiet periods in my 'yoga fervor.' :)

2. Choosing a specific series of poses that's already been written out for me and challenging myself to do them each day for ___ days. Maybe 7 days works for you. Or maybe more - 30? 40? The idea here is that even if I am bored, tired, unmotivated, I will try to do this thing and stick with the commitment. The actual DOING of the yoga can get you motivated again, if you give it time.

3. Going to a class led by a teacher you love. This is really helpful to me.

What do you do in this situation?

message 2: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn | 2 comments Vary the style of my practice i.e. if I’ve primarily been practicing Iyengar or Ashtanga try a Kundalini class.

message 3: by Jovhannah (new)

Jovhannah (thespirituallovehealer) Thanks I actually just did it. Once I started it felt so good. I try to keep that feeling of relaxation and release, and the wonderful stretching in mind so I'll be more inclined to practice daily. Walking before hand helps me too.

message 4: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn | 2 comments Hi Jovanhanna,

That's great! Walking is a great reminder for me as well; it's what got me out of my "Yoga slump" few months ago.

Jaclyn

message 5: by deZengo (new)

deZengo (sacredspace) | 19 comments Great ideas! Getting back to NATURE(all) is key to all practices IMHO. Another thing that works for me & staying motivated to practice is teaching others. When I go ahead and schedule classes it keeps me on my toes and motivated. I seem to respond better when I feel like I am helping someone else out - rather than just "myself."

My time limitations do not permit the 2 hour yoga class per day that I WANT WANT WANT - and then I get caught up in the daily grind of a job that I truly love and believe in - so it is easy to spend too much time behind my desk and not enough time on the floor!

1. Get a Group
If you don't want to "teach" per say, then just get a group of friends together and watch a DVD, there are hundreds of great teachers. I personally am waiting for the NamaSpirit Folks to come up with their own - but for now, I have collected about 20 or so and donated them to the Fall Creek Falls Nature Center for yoga classes & get togethers.

2. Listen to YOUR Body & Needs
This is where the personal practice comes in and is so VALUABLE!! Here we can focus in on the parts of our body that hurt or need adjustment. We can stay in a pose as long as we feel comfortable and extend it without disrupting the flow.

3. Check out Various Classes
Almost every community has a variety of yoga teaching styles and classes available. Don't be shy! Get off the matt and into the world. Enrich your practice by sharing it with others. (which is exactly what we are doing here - minus proximity)

4. Get Back to NATURE(all)
There is nothing more relaxing-spiritual than sharing your practice with the great outdoors. No one there but you and nature. Trust me - you will feel your audience approval! :-D

Now get out there and enjoy your body and do some yoga! As a matter of a fact, now you all have motivated me to get off my bum & enjoy these great TN temperatures before it turns cold.

Blessings & Peace

message 6: by Kim (new)

Kim I've been reading Twyla Tharp's "The Creative Habit". I happen to be a painter, but it's not just for artists. She's got some great tips on motivating yourself. So far, what has helped me was the concept of ritual. I took a good look at my morning ritual and found a place for yoga. Previously, I would wait till I got everything done in the morning and then do my yoga...but then yoga wasn't happening. Now, when I get up, I get breakfast "ready" and, before turning on the computer, do my yoga. I'm getting up a bit earlier, but I figure it's worth it for the energy and clarity the yoga gives me through the day. Plus, it keeps my back pain-free as I stand at the easel all day long. Love all these other ideas too. My walk is another important part of my morning, so I'm there with you guys too. Morning light and a connection with nature are a great way to start the day! Taking class too, and you all are right, it's a great motivator. Now I know I can pick up new poses and correct those things I don't see when I'm doing my regular practice. End of January, I'll start Ashtanga classes so we'll see how that goes! Thanks, everyone, for sharing here. (Also a great motivator!)

message 7: by ann (new)

ann | 8 comments All I can do right now is going to class each week. I find I have not enough privacy right now in my home to practice every day. So for me it´s one yoga class for my own practice and one class as yoga assistant.

message 8: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) I have a yoga class at work once a week, which is awesome - no excuses for not going to that! I like to find videos that I love, too, and do them at night after everyone else is asleep. It's a little time for me and I sleep so much better after a practice.

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenu-w) Melanie - I really like "Every Body Yoga" by JJ Gormley. There are 75 different sessions included based on time (15-20 minutes up to an hour or more), level and area to be worked. You can add or subtract to make your own workout tailored to what you need that day and at that time. JJ does an excellent job of queuing and encouraging. I have had this CD for years and have not done every work out here. If you cannot find it, let me know. My studio always has some for sale.

message 10: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) Thanks, Vadreamer, for the recommendation! I actually had that one, but I like a DVD with a little more continuity, so I ended up swapping it. Right now I'm obsessed with Kabbalah Yoga - the poses are put together in a really unusual way that I love.

message 11: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (ellenu-w) Wow - I've never heard of Kabbalah Yoga. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the head's up. Is there one DVD in particular you like?

message 12: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (mcipher) The Kabbalah yoga DVDs I have are "Ambitious Beginners" and "Attainable Advanced" - I don't know if they have any others. I'm not a Kabbalah person, but they don't go too crazy with the religious part and the practice is a lot of fun. I found part of it on YouTube if you want to check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVvaPq...

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I just found this group and I'm very glad I have. I have been trying to start my own home practice since I'm no longer able to take a class. I've been reading the posts and there are some really good ideas and videos for me to check out. I have a collection of Sarah Ivanhoe's 20 minute yoga makeover, I really like them. I've been struggling with my own little slump too.
I'm not really a morning person--I tried to wake up 20 minutes earlier to do my routine and ended up laying on the floor while Sarah did the routine. LOL
And, I have a young son that I try to get involved doing the simpler poses. However he likes to get right under me when I'm doing the poses. :0D
It's cute but really hard to get into the pose, I'm afraid I'll lose my balance and fall on him!
My goal is to do my routine after he goes to bed. I'm not having much luck. With my job I'm working about 10 hours a day, and we get home late. I guess my problem is finding the motivation/inspriation.

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane | 1 comments I love all the ideas!!
I've had a rough year this year, so keeping my practice has been really difficult.
things that helped me:
1. teach a volunteer class or by donation class - making yoga accessible for those who cant' afford it really motivates you. Especially when you see your students get 'aha' moments!

2. patience coupled with the 'kick yourself' attitude! - because I was (and still am) grieving, I knew I needed to process a lot, so rather than force myself, I did what I could and just kept the intention to do SOMETHING every day. My practice was 2.5 hrs a day before and after my husband's death it dwindled to about 15 minutes...but doing something is what kept it as a life line. I have had to kick myself countless times....my guru has always said, you have to keep kicking yourself...so I kick, but in a gentle loving way!! LOL I've missed some days here & there but I am proud for sticking it out....I'm usually such a quitter when under so much stress!

a suggestion for Kitty:
talk to your husband, and let him know how important the practice is for you. See if together you can decide a time that he is around and can keep an eye on the little guy, so you can practice. My friend was having same problem, but now her & her hubby do a trading off a few times a week. She gets yoga time and he gets movie time - so they both get something they need - some alone time to recharge.

message 15: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jeannetteh) | 12 comments Yogajournal.com has 20 minute classes available for free. I use them when I can't get to class for a few days. Of course, the dog is in here licking my face and someone always needs something Right Now, but it keeps me going, and in shape.

message 16: by Kim (new)

Kim Great tip, Jeannette, thanks!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

One of the reasons I get into a slump is that I've found my preference for doing yoga is in the morning before I do much else. There are times in my life where this is just impractical though. I resist doing yoga after work/at night for some reason. I have started going into my yoga room[spare room, hehe:] and doing 15-20 minutes on some evenings. This is helping though because I love the peace yoga gives me.

Does any one else experience a day/night preference to doing their practice? Would this fall into the category of circadian rythym?

message 18: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicereads) | 1 comments I practice The Five Tibetan Rites every morning. It's a type of sacred communication with god I'm devoted to. I just can't skip it as I feel I would betray god if I do so.