I Love My Anythink discussion

What should I read? > Audio Books: Any Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacie, Official Anythink Ambassador (new)

Stacie (stacieadelia) | 72 comments Mod
Some of you may find this hard to believe, but I have never listened to an audio book. Ever. Not since I was a kid and we listened to my mother's John Hopkins sales tapes in the car. And I don't think that really counts.

While I enjoy listening to NPR during my commute in the morning, I think I'd like to try an audio book. Any suggestions? Do you have any favorites?

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 8 comments I absolutly LOVE listening to David Sedaris read his books. Everything he does is wonderful. Also, if you can get a hold of This American Life on cd.(not a book per se)

message 3: by Stacie, Official Anythink Ambassador (new)

Stacie (stacieadelia) | 72 comments Mod
Stephanie wrote: "I absolutly LOVE listening to David Sedaris read his books. Everything he does is wonderful. Also, if you can get a hold of This American Life on cd.(not a book per se)

"
I've been listening to This American Life podcasts all weekend! They're so great. If you haven't heard the Fear of Sleep episode, check it out. They're free to download from iTunes.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 8 comments that is so cool, thanks.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Stephanie wrote: "I absolutly LOVE listening to David Sedaris read his books. Everything he does is wonderful. Also, if you can get a hold of This American Life on cd.(not a book per se)

"

Stacie wrote: "Some of you may find this hard to believe, but I have never listened to an audio book. Ever. Not since I was a kid and we listened to my mother's John Hopkins sales tapes in the car. And I don't th..."

I agree with those suggestions. I'd also recommend the Harry Potter series read by Jim Dale. He's an amazing storyteller. My husband had no interest in listening to children's books until he heard Jim Dale.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

John Berry of LJ and I shared the exact same experience when we listened to Mission Song, by John LeCarre. (We both got review copies from Nora Rawlinson) He writes about it in his Blatant Berry blog and says now he understands the power of audio. The first LeCarre not to be narrated by the author...and stunningly done by ?.Since the story is about language (protag is translator) it has to be heard and not read.