dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) | 673 comments Mod
Here is a site with some great information on creating your first book video

http://www.squidoo.com/booktrailers

message 2: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 18 comments Hi Dee,

Great site. Thank you for posting it.

I have a book trailer already courtesy of my 12 years old daughter, but I could use the advice in the future. Now that she turned a teenager she is not so willing to help me any more.

What I found out, though, is that making the trailer is only the first step. The second and more importante one is to have people watch it. So I was wondering if you have any experience on how to let people know your trailer is out there.

message 3: by Dee, Group Creator (last edited Dec 17, 2008 03:32AM) (new)

The best place is to get some hype is on YouTube.

I would be curious if others had better luck posting their book videos on other sites?

message 4: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 18 comments Thanks Dee. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

message 5: by Meg (new)

Meg Clayton (megwaiteclayton) For Book Trailer production, I highly recommend A Cut Above.

message 6: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Hi Meg,
It looks like the "A Cut Above" web site is going through some updates. I will keep checking back :)

message 7: by Author (new)

Author (killthemessengergemini) | 29 comments My trailer was made by the author of "The Ezekiel Code". He does my genre. Gary did a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XAswn...

message 8: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Hey Johanna,

Gary did an outstanding job on your video :]

message 9: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 21 comments Hey Johanna -

I'm thrilled that your video is getting such wonderful response! It was a great project to work on. :-)

I downloaded the material you sent me for your next book and I'll be reading it soon to get a feel for your next video.

If anyone else here is interested in getting a book trailer video just hop on over to my page at...

http://www.ezekielcode.com/nightowl_p...

...and give me a shout.

Later, all.

message 10: by Larry (new)

Larry (lvmultimedia) | 3 comments Greetings!
I just happened upon this group, and had to join. I am a web designer who has 2 small publishers, and a few authors as clients. One of the authors from one of the publishers I deal with had her first video for a book done by Books To Film. ( http://www.bookstofilm.tv/Testimonial... ) When it was completed, I thought 'Why didn't I think of that?' it is such a great idea!
They call the shorts " Sizzle Reals " and they bill the service as a way to pitch your book to Movie and TV producers. Glensheen's Daughter is the name of the book ... and they have it online there as a sample. Basic, but effective... sales are rising!

message 11: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 21 comments I just took a look at a "Sizzle Lite" video, the least expensive of the options offered by Books To Film. It's for a book called The Legend of Wallace Wallack. I thought to myself (after picking myself up off the floor), $650 for THAT??? If that is worth $650 then I should be charging $6500 for the book videos I produce. But I'm not, and I couldn't if I wanted to sleep with a clear conscience. Admittedly, I'm way undercharging ($99 - $175) for the long hours and creativity that go into my videos but they're much more elaborate and give the viewer a much better idea of what the book is about than what I saw in that sample.

Some samples of the videos I've produced:
http://www.ezekielcode.com/nightowl_p...

More can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/mycatbear

I dunno. Call me crazy, but I just don't understand where $650 is reflected in that sample.

message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 21 comments Okay, I took a look at the video for Glensheen's Daughter. It was slightly better than the one for The Legend of Wallace Wallack but I shudder to think what it must have cost the author. But that's just my little 2 cents worth of opinion. To each his/her own.

message 13: by Larry (new)

Larry (lvmultimedia) | 3 comments Hi Gary,
I'm going to send your link to the authors I have websites for, as well as the owners of the 2 publishing companies I deal with and ask them to pass it on to their authors.
I know what you mean about prices.... you and I do not have as much overhead as some. I am self-employed, and can create websites for much less money than the big firms. Heck, I don't even have to buy clothes.. I can work in my pj's.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 21 comments Hi Larry -
Many thanks for passing the word around. Truly appreciated. :-)

You're right about the overhead factor. I did take that into consideration but even doing so the cost still seems excessive to me. I mean, come on. A 30-second video that tells the viewer nothing about the book except for the title? LOL! Then again, I guess if they can get that kind of money for their product, what can I say? More power to them. But I still can't help feeling bad for the folks who are forking over that much money for something like that.

Oh, and yes, I'm with you on the PJs factor.

message 15: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

PJs are the new power-suits...at least for authors :]

message 16: by Gary (new)

Gary Tenuta (code9) | 21 comments LOL! I wonder if I can custom order some PJs with the words "My Power Suit" printed all over them. Maybe with a red power necktie printed on the front. :-)

message 17: by G.R., Mod-Squad (new)

G.R. (grcollia) | 113 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "PJs are the new power-suits...at least for authors :]"

That's one of my absolute favourite things about being a writer... every day is a PJ day.

message 18: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Hey Gary, I like that idea...let me know when you find that online store, I will place my order ASAP :]

message 19: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

^5s Gina
I am with you :]

message 20: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 19 comments My trailer was made by a friend who does movies and videos. His company website is www.avaprovideo.com and his email is avaproductions@earthlink.com . He's in Newport News, Virginia ( 757) 873-3303. You can see my book's video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUqyeo... or http://www.blazingtrailers.com/show.p... , along on my website and myspace.

message 21: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Hey Pamela,

Thanks for posting your friends information. I really like your video. Oh, and you MUST tell us about the vampires ;]

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 19 comments It's one vampire in that book and that is his tomb on the front cover. We all know he wasn't a real vamp, just someone started a story about him during the story of the train that is buried under the hill. Yes, the train is still under that hill.
But there will be more vamp stories from Virginia in ext book out May 2009: Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths and True Tales. Two werewolf ones too.

message 23: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Werewolves too? Ohhh, too much fun!

message 24: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 19 comments Yep, one from 19th century and one that is current.

message 25: by Sean (new)

Sean (svlehosit) Dee, I've gotten hundreds of views on YouTube. However, getting comments seems to be a different story.

message 26: by Dee, Group Creator (new)

Hey Sean, I have no idea how to improve the comment section, other than post a "Please let me know what you think" on your YouTube trailer posting.

Not sure why some people comment on some YouTube videos and not on others.

I am a contributing columnist for one of the largest online artist communities. The articles (review or tutorial) get thousands of views, but only a handful of comments. This is the norm for all the writers on the team, not just for me.

Yet I get tons of emails from individuals saying how much they enjoyed an article or review. They just don’t bother to post comments. Go figure, shrug.