Great African Reads discussion

Tour d'Afrique: Africa A-Z > Botswana - Febuary book

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Muphyn (last edited Dec 16, 2008 12:49AM) (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Here's a list of suggestions for Botswana readings taken from the A Basket of Leaves book. If you've got any other ideas (and there are lots of other "Botswana books" out there), please post them here. I'll set up a poll in a few days so we can finalise the book for Febuary as well. For more info on the books, I've linked the titles to the respective book page as usual. Books are also in the group's bookshelf.

Non-fiction
* Marjorie Shostak Nisa: The Life and Words of a !Kung Woman

Fiction
* Alexander McCall Smith The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
* Norman Rush Mating: A Novel
* Bessie Head A Question of Power
* Bessie Head When Rain Clouds Gather

Short stories
* Gaele Sobott-Mogwe Colour Me Blue
* Norman Rush Whites

Happy making-up-your-mind! :)

message 2: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Marieke | 2838 comments Mod
i'm terrible at making up my mind. :(

message 3: by Melanie (last edited Dec 16, 2008 08:44PM) (new)

Melanie | 171 comments Hi Muphyn and Marieke,

There was one that I read awhile back that is focused on the Central Kalahari Game Reserve - Cry of the Kalahari by Mark and Cordelia Owens.

message 4: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 171 comments I ran across couple more on Amazon.com that might be worth checking out:

Non-fiction
Twenty Chickens for a Saddle by Robyn Scott
Whatever You do Don't Run by Peter Allison

Fiction
Juggling Truths by Unity Dow

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments I liked Twenty Chickens, but Whatever You Do don't Run was entertaining, but I'm not sure it offers a lot for discussion. Just thoughts. Haven't even started to make up my mind yet.

message 6: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (wendywoo) | 82 comments I LOVED "Twenty Chickens for a Saddle" -- it was reminiscent of "Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight". I'm planning to read the Peter Allison book. I'd love to discuss either one. Twenty Chicks is a really fun and fast read.

message 7: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

i thought it was you, wendy, who really liked it! i haven't had a moment to look at any of these book descriptions yet. :(

message 8: by Manu (new)

Manu (manuherb) | 166 comments Muphyn wrote: "Here's a list of suggestions for Botswana readings taken from the A Basket of Leaves book. If you've got any other ideas (and there are lots of other "Botswana books" out there), please post them h..."

I'll go for any of Bessie Head's works.

message 9: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments I've set up a poll for the Febuary book. I've randomly set the end date for voting as December 28, so don't forget to cast your vote if your interested in having a say in the selection.

message 10: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 206 comments I would tend to vote for one of the Bessie Head titles, as I am somewhat ashamed to say I haven't read them!

message 11: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh | 4 comments I vote for 20 Chicken's, but would enjoy a Bessie Head novel as well. I just prefer nonfiction. I don't know how easily accessable they are here, but when I was living in Botswana I read a lot of biographical books on Sireste Khama and the formation of democracy there. Very interesting.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments Shiloh wrote: "I vote for 20 Chicken's, but would enjoy a Bessie Head novel as well. I just prefer nonfiction. I don't know how easily accessable they are here, but when I was living in Botswana I read a lot of ..."

Do you know any of the titles of the Siretse Khama books?

message 13: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Happy New Year everyone and my apologies for the slowness in posting... it's that time of the year.

Re. Febuary book - looking at the poll, it looks like it's a tie for Bessie Head's book When rain clouds gather and Norman Rush's book Mating. We could vote again on these two books, or alternatively go with Bessie Head's book as a couple of people who didn't vote in the poll indicated in this thread that they would like to read one of Bessie Head's books. Any thoughts?

message 14: by Tracey (last edited Jan 02, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Tracey I voted for Mating but would be more than happy to read Bessie Head's book as well. Let's do it!

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 660 comments I think the Bessie Head book is fairly short, but I'm not sure about Rush's book. If other people are game, I'd be willing to read two.

message 16: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

i'm thinking i'd be happy to tackle two, as well...

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina Chachu | 206 comments I look forward to reading the Bessie Head book, and will look at "Mating" again.

message 18: by Muphyn (new)

Muphyn | 816 comments Well, let's tackle Bessie Head's When rain clouds gather and then see how we go and if we want to squeeze Mating into Febuary as well. Sounds like a plan? :)

message 19: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh | 4 comments Andrea, I tried to find my required reading list from language and cultural classes, but could not find them. It was 10 years ago, but i can try to track some down through some friends. Botswana has a very unique and sucessful democracy. I will let you know if I find something out.

message 20: by Marieke, Former guide & Chief Chatterbox (new)

Shiloh wrote: "Andrea, I tried to find my required reading list from language and cultural classes, but could not find them. It was 10 years ago, but i can try to track some down through some friends. Botswana ..."

i'd be very interested in knowing titles, too!