Troublesome Creek (Troublesome Creek, #1) Troublesome Creek discussion

14. How would your life be different if you lived in the 1880’s? Would you like to? What modern convenience would you most miss?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Margaret Chind I think that I would love it. The hard labor would be something that I had to adjust to, but perhaps if it was something I'd known all my life, I'd survive. My daddy and I do genealogy work and the main time that we have loads of information on is the mid-to-late 1880's. From what I know, I'd love to have been in that world relishing nature and being close to family. Deaths would have been difficult, and I just cannot see being able to handle so many lost children or friends or relatives. But that was life then.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy I've often thought this very question. When I was little I hated when my parents to me to historical museums. “that's old and ugly” I remember frequently saying. I didn't understand what all the clothing garments were for. Why didn't they just wear what I was wearing? I detested my mom trying to teach me how to sew, knit, or cook!
And yet after having read historical fiction for the last 13 years, I wouldn't choose to live any time else! I think now our world is too corrupt, publicizing on the private, and America has lost the reason we originally came here: Freedom to choose our own religion. We are scared to admit to others we are Christians. Schools and the government have lost the focus on God. Churches are now “businesses.”
I think I would miss computers/Internet. I like being able to access unlimited knowledge instantly. I love e-mail and meeting new friends I never would have had 150 years ago, because there were no cars to meet far away people. And only super-slow snail mail was the communication!