What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > childrens book, little girl, stuck up cousin comes to stay [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments I read this book back in the 80's, it was for children or at least young adult. There was a girl who was an only child and lived with her parents. Her best friend was from a large family, and she was very blond. i think her friend's mom had just had a baby too and they made their own bread and had a garden, etc. the main character was very plain and had dark hair and always wanted to be in a bigger family.

I think a cousin or someone came to stay with the main character. her parents were getting divorced or something like that. the main girl didn't like her because the new girl kept complaining about everything and was stuck up. at one point she complained about the girl's friends family, saying the parents of the big family were irresponsible for having so many kids and using up the world's resources. the main girl's mom explained that they made a lot of their own food, etc.

i think the girl ended up going back home, and the main girl realized how lucky she was to be who she was, blah blah blah

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments thought i'd bump this up

message 3: by mdt (new)

mdt (mdt13) | 106 comments This reminds me of Cute is a Four Letter Word by Stella Pevsner. It doesn't quite fit your description, but a stuck-up friend of the family comes to stay with the main characters family after her parents can no longer afford to send her to private school.

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments oh dang....i remember that book! although not the one i'm looking for, but thanks

message 5: by Cara (new)

Cara | 23 comments Sounds kind of like Dixie Storms but she does have sibiling but one thing I definetely remember is that a cousin of hers comes to stay. Hope that helps.

message 6: by Rachel Lee (new)

Rachel Lee (rlcwt9) | 18 comments Lynda wrote: "Is it My Crazy Cousin Courtney?

Erin wrote: "I read this book back in the 80's, it was for children or at least young adult. There was a girl who was an only child and lived with her paren..."

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!! Thanks so much for reminding me of it.

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments no, it's neither one of those books. There might have been illustrations too

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments bumping this up...thanks

message 9: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 53 comments I seem to remember there being a Babysitters Club Little Sisters book that was something like that. I haven't found the exact one yet, but Karen has a little brother. Could it be it?

message 10: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 33 comments I found Just Like Sisters on worldcat, but can't seem to find any more of a description than the one line listed there.

message 11: by Erin (new)

Erin | 192 comments Meghan, I'm pretty sure that's it. I don't know how you found it...there is hardly any info out there, but it sounds exactly right and I found a picture of the cover on ebay. Thanks so much!