The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments So I was thinking about how Lorelai always had Luke around and it was hard to image the show without their relationship. And then I started to wonder who was Rory's Luke. And Paris is totally Rory's Luke, I've decided. The show would not be the same without their on-going, weird relationship.

What do you all thing? agree/disagree?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

That's actually an interesting way to put it. I still think that I do have to disagree there... Sure, the show would not be the same without Paris, but I don't think her and Rory's relationship is comparable to Luke and Lorelai's. Luke and Lorelai always liked each other so much and supported each other and Paris was really mean to Rory at times.
Actually, I'd rather say that Lane is Rory's Luke. She wasn't in the later episodes so much anymore, but when Rory had a fight with her grandmother and moved out, she moved in with Lane and not with Paris.
Lane and Rory have much more in common than Rory and Paris.

message 3: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments It is true that Lane and Rory have more in common, but I honestly didn't find their relationship as interesting as Luke/Lorelai and Rory/Paris. And Luke and Lorelai also went through some times when they were friendly or talking.

I think Rory moved into Lane's house after she left Emily's because Lane lived in Star's Hollow. And she wasn't there for very long ( I think, memory is a little fuzzy). She also lived with Paris longer.

And Rory and Paris kissed, so there! :p

message 4: by El (new)

El I also think the Rory/Lane relationship is the better comparison, if for no other reason than Lane asked Rory to be the "Lorelai" for her children. But I do agree that Rory and Paris had a much more dynamic relationship, fueled by their personal goals and perfectionism.

At one time I would have said Dean would have been Rory's "Luke", because he was there for her a few times when she needed someone, but then he just sort of disappeared, something I never quite figured out. I think despite what happened between the two of them, there should have been some sort of resolution by the end of the show. I didn't like how it just ended without at least one more conversation between them.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments Ok so I will have to disagree with both of you. I believe that Lane would be like Lorelei's Suki. They are best friends.
I don't think that Paris is like Luke because Paris is a pain in the butt. Luke is always there for Lorelei like Paris is there for Rory but this is the only thing I can see similar.

I think that Lorelei is Rory's Luke.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, you are right, Jessica... Lorelai is probably most like Rory's Luke.

By the way, does anyone know where Dean went to? It's right what you say, that he suddenly disappeared without his story ever finished properly. Maybe he returned to college?

message 7: by Emma (last edited Dec 15, 2008 02:09PM) (new)

Emma (emmascout) Right, I agree with many of you! Lane IS I think Rory's Sookie. And Lorelai is Rory's Luke. And I think Paris was just in there, somewhere. But if we are talking BOYS for Rory's Luke, then we can't forget about Logan.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 15, 2008 02:17PM) (new)

Ugh. Logan doesn't fit the description of a "Luke" at all in my opinion. Luke was willing to make so many sacrifices for Lorelai, he made compromises to make their relationship work, he did so much for her, was always there, supported her and everything. Logan, on the other hand, cheated on Rory, and was being really unfair sometimes (just remember the way he treats Jess without even knowing him).

message 9: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Gosh... this is a hard one, Franzz! Great post! :D
Um... I was going to say Lane was Rory's Luke until I read what Jessica said about Lane being Rory's Suki, which I have to agree with.
I'm debating the Lorilie is Rory's Luke thing... I can kind of see that - at least in part.
What I've always found interesting (and one of my absolute favorite aspects of the show) is that Rory and Lorilie are best friends - without a shadow of a doubt. And yet, Lorilie is still Rory's mom, at least when she needs to be mom, she will be (remember the episode where Lorilie and Suki, Rory and some Chilton friends go to the concert and the girls leave and Lorilie switches to Mom-Mode - love that one!... anyway, off track, sorry...), But the point I'm trying to make, is that while so much of the time Rory helped Lorilie figure out life just as much as Lorilie helped Rory, Lorilie was still the mom, Rory would always have Lorilie to go to if she had to. And I wonder if that "mom" aspect of Lorilie was Rory's Luke... like, Luke provided that extra support that Lorilie could provide for Rory.
Hum... am I saying that Luke was like a mother figure to Lorilie? If so, that came out wrong... :\ lol! Anyway, maybe Rory didn't have Luke. Maybe she didn't need one 'cause she still had Lorilie...

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmascout) Marion wrote: "Ugh. Logan doesn't fit the description of a "Luke" at all in my opinion. Luke was willing to make so many sacrifices for Lorelai, he made compromises to make their relationship work, he did so much..."

sorry! I'm not really that far in the series yet...hehe

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Has anybody else noticed that every bot rory goes out with has ended up with his own tv show?
Dean: Supernatural
Jesse:Heroes
I'm just waiting for Logan to get his own show.

message 12: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) | 36 comments You all make good points. I jump on the train that Lane is Rory's Sookie, the ever-loyal friend.

I suppose I should admit that I am somewhat blinded by my love for Paris. She might be my favorite character to watch.

Anyway, I'm going to try and clarify what I'm getting at. Luke and Lorelai's relationship changes a lot throughout the show. It grows. So does Rory and Paris'. They go from mortal enemies to (from Paris' POV, at least) best friends. The Gilmore girls relationships with anyone else (who is on the show as long as Luke/Paris) stays pretty much the same, no big surprises. So I guess that is one of the reasons why I've paired them like that.

And I think Paris was very good for Rory and helped her grow a lot. It's very easy to see Rory's growth since ABC Family keep looping the series. Rory use to be very quite and shy and she out grew that quite a bit. I know Lorelai helped, but I believe Paris did too.

message 13: by El (new)

El Stephanie, I can't say Logan has had his own show, but I did catch him as a recurring character on Friday Night Lights one season. I paused on the channel long enough to find how he was playing a completely different character than that of Logan!

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Lol! I have noticed that Stephanie! Even Tristan got "One Tree Hill". Yes... I do wonder what "Logan" is up to. Even if some of the GG people don't like Logan, I still think the actor did a good job... hum... maybe I'll go see what I can dig up...

message 15: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments I've been pondering this one and I'm not really sure Rory has a Luke. I think what really makes Luke and Lorelai's relationship so strong (excluding any romantic elements) is that he was there for her through thick and thin, helping her through very real, challenging situations in the adult world--more so than anyone else. (Sookie is a good friend, good friends--but there doesn't seem to be that depth of connection--same with Rory and Lane). For Rory, it was Lorelai who was always "there" for Rory helping her through all the difficulties that life put in her way. Being the kind of nurturing, thoughtful, awesome mom that she herself never had. I'm not sure that Rory ever had a Luke figure for herself (especially in terms of anyone love-interest-wise) and perhaps this is why her relationships ultimately seemed unfulfilling to so many viewers, in comparison to those of us who rooted for Luke from day one!!!

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments Great point Kathryn! If we view the GG poll, I think there'll be some data to back up your last statement!:D

message 17: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 592 comments Hmmmm...does anybody think Luke could be Rory's Luke? Or maybe her grandfather?

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments I think it would be Luke. Because her grandfather and her do not have THAT close of a relationship.

message 19: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 17, 2008 10:17AM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments That's true, Robbie! In response to Jessica--I agree that Rory and her grandfather do not have that close of a relationship like that of Luke and the Gilmore girls. However, I always kind of felt that Rory and Richard had a bit of a special connection; he was able to nurture a few of her characteristics and respond to some of her interests in ways that Lorelai never could because she, herself, was not that interested in them. I don't mean that Lorelai wasn't encouraging, but I felt the grandpa relationship brought out another dynamic in Rory because he was actually EXCITED about some things that Rory was always curious about but Lorelai never really brought into the mix. (One of my favorite episodes is when Rory and Richard go golfing!)

message 20: by Synova (new)

Synova | 20 comments "Logan" is doing a movie called "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" based on a book by the same name.. he's playing the lead character Tucker Max.

The book is memoir about a lawyer who's a complete @ss. (Haven't read it yet, but it's on my list... and I'll def. see the movie... I *heart* Matt Czurchy)

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 100 comments I agree with you Kathryn! Oh yes I love that episode!

message 22: by Ann (new)

Ann | 345 comments I love that episode, Kathryn! Isn't that the one where she says she wants to go to Fez? ;>.

Thanks, Synova!!:D Keep us posted if/when you see it!:D

message 23: by Kali (new)

Kali (aloisia) I never knew about that movie. I'll have to try to find it sometime.

message 24: by Emma (last edited Oct 25, 2009 11:51AM) (new)

Emma | 4 comments Lane is Rory's Luke. They don't always get along either, but they're meant to be best friends. She stays solid throughout the whole show proving that she is a good fit for Rory while the people at Chilton or Yale often fall to the side. Paris is a character that they created last minute because they liked the actress so much they wanted her on the show.
I see why people would say that Lane is her Sookie (Soukie?), but I think that Paris and Rory are more like Sookie and Lorelai. Paris and Rory work together really often and clash often even though they're friends at heart, like Lo and So do.

message 25: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (mrsdarcy) | 1 comments Stephanie wrote: "Has anybody else noticed that every bot rory goes out with has ended up with his own tv show?
Dean: Supernatural
Jesse:Heroes
I'm just waiting for Logan to get his own show."

He is trying, right now he is on the "Good Wife".

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (melchycat) | 27 comments This is an interesting topic and one I find myself forced to chime in on. First of all, Rory and her grandfather are extremely close, I feel. No, they weren't in the beginning but that was a relationship the grew and we know that Richard adores her more than anything.

Lane is Rory's Sookie. But I do have to agree, that Paris is Rory's Luke. Always there for one another, even when they were bitter enemies they held each other up and worked together. I think that Paris became more human because of Rory and Rory became more outgoing and not as afraid to try things.

I do wish I knew what happened to Dean. I always liked him and felt sorry for him losing both Rory and Lindsay like he did. I hope he got to go to college and start over.

message 27: by Dini, the master of meaning (new)

Dini | 691 comments Mod
Dean went on to another series (Supernatural) in which he becomes Dean's brother ;P

message 28: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments Though this topic hasn't been discussed in over a year, I'd like to submit my two cents.
I think Lane is Rory's Sookie.
Lorelai is the closest thing Rory has to a Luke.
Finally, Paris is Rory's Michel.