Yoga Folks discussion

Archived threads > Kids' Yoga

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 4 comments Hi, my name is Johanna - I am new to the group.

I have been asked to teach a kids' yoga class over Christmas break and am wondering if anyone has any advice? I am a new teacher... I went through my 200 hour Yoga Alliance training from March through August last year. I am not currently teaching regularly but am hoping to get started soon.

Any advice as to how long a kids' class should be, or suggestions to keep them interested would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Namaste,

Johanna

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Johanna:

What sort of group is it? I think that'll help us give ideas.

Are they all the same age? Will these kids all be brand-new to yoga?

I did ChildLight Yoga teacher training recently, but haven't actually led any classes yet. Maybe someone else here will have ideas, too! :)

Emma

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Hi Johanna: I've never taught yoga, but I have taught art and I think the main thing to do with kids is to make it fun. If kids are having fun, they will learn and enjoy learning. I learned some yoga when I was a kid and it stuck with me. I think they also like a challenge. I know yoga isn't about pushing yourself but if you make it a kind of a game and not a competition I think they would enjoy it. Just my two cents. Good luck with it!

Oh, it's also always good to start off with some ground rules too, like raising your hand to get their attention etc. And if you love it they will love it too.

message 4: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 4 comments Looks like it's going to be ages 4 to 7 - all brand new to yoga. I'm also going to be teaching them a lesson on sharks earlier in the day so I'm sure it will help to have a little time to get to know the kids, and establish some rules (good suggestion, Kim!). I am really excited that these kids want to try yoga. Some want to try yoga, some want to learn about sharks and some want to do both. I love that it's something their parents have told them about, but they get to choose whether or not to participate. Thanks for your suggestions so far!

Johanna

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Your very welcome. Kids need structure but once they have that you can play! Sharks sound fun.

message 6: by ann (new)

ann | 8 comments Maybe you could use this book for inspiration

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I...

message 7: by deZengo (new)

deZengo (sacredspace) | 19 comments What I have tried to incorporate into my kidz yoga classes is involvement.

I allow each one of them to come to the front of the room and teach a pose. I show them and then I let them demonstrate for the rest of the class.
You can see some of this at:
http://orangecarbon.net/yogakids.aspx

They were all so enthusiastic and energized that we just had fun. I am not too much into structure myself - I want them to see they can do it, let them feel empowered, and watch the results. This will be my third year and I have seen continued improvement with each class.

There are other ways to gain their trust and support, but to me, coming down to their level (which is a fine level to play and learn) has provided the mechanism for future opportunities to teach them the subliminal processes that happen during yoga.

message 8: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 4 comments Thanks everyone for your comments and advice...you were very helpful. I ended up having 4 students...two 4 year old boys and two 8 year old girls. They had all actually had a bit of exposure to yoga...and when I gave them an opportunity to teach a pose to me and to each other, they demonstrated the plow, half shoulderstand and a version of legs up the wall (with a new name - "alien pose"). It was also really interesting seeing the differences in the kids' ages. This was a really fun learning experience, and the kids, parents and I loved it!

Thanks again,

Johanna

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim Sounds great, so glad it worked out!