Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Do you think that Peeta ever really recovered?

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Abigail Jones You never really find out if Peeta properly recovers from his hijacking. I hope so. It was so tragic. But I have a feeling that he never really got his memories back. What do you think?

Mersedes Ugh. I really hope so too. I mean that depressed the HELL out of me that he forgot. I was so just ahh. D:

message 3: by Nadira (last edited Mar 25, 2012 02:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadira Alisha nopeeeee never

Eleanor Katherine I think maybe he had a hint of what he had felt but never got the full feel of it

Lauren I think that Peeta doesn't fully recover because it says in the book that he remembers her and all but sometimes he has to do something because he feels like hes being turned in to a mutt.

Kirby I think he got his memories back, he just still struggles sometimes with keeping his grasp on reality...

Allie I really don't know. I hope that he did.

Ascel Kadhem I think not. The whole hijacking thing was so unnecessary. ughh

Seaspray13 I don't know. But I do think that when it happened I was so sad!!! I mean all those cute moments between Peeta and Katniss in catching fire! Ugh! How could he forget that!
I hope he remembers!

esthermarie Kirby wrote: "I think he got his memories back, he just still struggles sometimes with keeping his grasp on reality..."

Exactly what I thought!!!! Oh Peeta....

Courtney It seems like Petta is able to function but going through something like that does a person really recover? I mean even if his memories came back the psychological damage is irreversable.

Melody It says in the end that he still has his episodes and has to hold onto a chair to keep his grasp on reality but most of the time he is under control.

Abigail Jones Mockingjay wrote: "It says in the end that he still has his episodes and has to hold onto a chair to keep his grasp on reality but most of the time he is under control."

Yeah but, does that mean that he can remember, or did he loose his memories forever? Mockingjay never really wrapped up a lot of things. Like if they ever did those Capitol-children-hunger games or what happened to Gale. Eugh.

Mersedes Seaspray13 wrote: "I don't know. But I do think that when it happened I was so sad!!! I mean all those cute moments between Peeta and Katniss in catching fire! Ugh! How could he forget that!
I hope he remembers!"

THIS! I agree with this so much. That was just so heartbreaking to me. I cried. :(

message 15: by Kania (new)

Kania Mockingjay wrote: "It says in the end that he still has his episodes and has to hold onto a chair to keep his grasp on reality but most of the time he is under control."

I believe he remembers, but the trauma lingers. Just like how katniss with her own trauma. To think of it, this is very sad :'(

Allison he eventually gets them back and him and katniss fall in love

Julie No, he still suffered occasional episodes, but learned to control it.

Nyateneri I think he never really recovers.
it's cruel but in some way it's good that he got hijacked because his love for Katniss became more real and not so shiny and unrealistic. he sees her more as the person she is and still loves her.

message 19: by Elia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elia I don't think it would be possible for anyone to really fully recover from what either Peeta or Katniss went through. Can you imagine having to fight for you life, see people you love slaughtered in front of you, having to kill kids your age or younger, and then having to pretend like it was great and you were happy you won only to have to go back and do it all AGAIN, then lose your whole family, be betrayed by people you trusted? And then be brainwaisjed into near insanity? I don't think anyone could "recover." At least get to the point where you can function day to day, but I can't imagine how anyone would ever be the same again.

Lady Bugs In June I don't think that he did, at least he was never the same after the hijacking. it was so heartbreaking as the Peeta we fell in love with in the first two books was gone and the capitol turned him into something that he wasn't which he says in the first book that it was something he never wanted to happen.i think that he had to relearn all his memories as he was so unsure about what was real or not. it also says that he has stages where he is unsure again and needs to hold the back of the chair for support. he also had to fall in love with katniss again which was so sad as before he was willing to sacrifice his own life for her!! this happeneing to Peeta really upset me as he was such a lovely character and to see him so different from the Peeta we all knew and loved was so sad!i think he gets better but is never the same.

Matej I hope he will not. It´s just for the story´s sake. Just to make Katniss´ life even more bitter. And maybe probably kill her one night...

Cherie The point is that nobody ever recovered... they survived and they lived their lives to the best of their abilities, but they dealt with the war and the games and everything they lost for the rest of their lives.

Ericka Scott Nelson It's been a while since I read it (audio book, actually), but isn't his main problem, or at least the main lingering problem, that he can't distinguish whether his memories are true or not? And don't they have a game to help him with that? He says something and Katniss (or whoever) replies that it's true or not true.

message 24: by Kristen (last edited Nov 29, 2013 11:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen I think he probably did get most of his memories back, but that some or most of them probably didn't feel quite right to him. More like things he saw or heard about happening as opposed to actually experiencing them himself.

As for fully recovering, I doubt it. He had alot of traumatic experiences to deal with, possibly more than Katniss. And we know she's got some pretty severe PTSD going on. I'm guessing he does too.

Korrina i think he did but still struggles with it all. Not a full recovery but he still understands his true feelings for Katniss.

Emily Mersedes wrote: "Ugh. I really hope so too. I mean that depressed the HELL out of me that he forgot. I was so just ahh. D:"

Yes I couldn't stop thinking about it- got told of in school :D Oh we'll the epilogue shows they live happily but I just wanna know what happens to Gale!

Emily It doesn't say if he fully recovers but he does learn to restrain himself. I <3 the ending and just wish there was something else to carry on reading!

Kristine Emily wrote: "Mersedes wrote: "Ugh. I really hope so too. I mean that depressed the HELL out of me that he forgot. I was so just ahh. D:"

Yes I couldn't stop thinking about it- got told of in school :D Oh we'll..."

Emily, I'm reposting this from another thread in answer to your question about Gale.

I saw this in a blog. I thought it was a brilliant pick-up. I had missed it.

It's when Katniss, Gale and the propos team visit the lake.

"When I come back around to the little concrete house beside the lake, I pause in the doorway and see Gale propping the crooked poker he salvaged against the wall by the hearth. For a moment I have an image of a lone stranger, sometime far in the future, wandering lost in the wilderness and coming upon this small place of refuge, with the pile of split logs, the hearth, the poker. Wondering how it came to be." (Mockingjay)

That lone stranger is likely Gale. A 'stranger' because he's no longer known to Katniss. Or because he doesn't bear any resemblance to the person he was when he was there so long ago.

Perhaps he's in District 12 on official business and he takes the opportunity to visit old haunts. It seems he didn't visit Katniss and Peeta although he'd know where they live. Perhaps he tried to and he can't. He might have seen Katniss's children playing in the meadow. He's 'lost in the wilderness' because life for him hasn't gone as he'd planned and he's reflecting, sadly, on what went wrong. When he was there last, things had started to turn sour between Katniss and himself and marked a turning point in their relationship. They had quarreled when Gale didn't tell Katniss about Peeta's TV appearance.

message 29: by Gin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gin Ariza I hope so. It was really depressing. But well, if he did, he wasn´t the same. Because they where both in the games, ect. I don´t think he completely recovered, I am sad to say, but well, he ended up as good as he could end up. ALIVE!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)