Of Ladies and Lords discussion

Dune (Dune Chronicles #1)
This topic is about Dune
Science Fiction > Dune (post as you read)

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaylah (TheLadyKaylah) | 30 comments Mod
Use this discussion to post as you read.
Rules:
1.Post only about Dune by Frank Herbert (no other books, the movie is the exception)
2.Use spoiler alerts if posting a comment that may reveal something of the future of this book (we may not all be on the same page)
Ex: SPOILER ALERT: Did you know...

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments Wow this book is pretty interesting so far. I am digging the mind of the main character.

message 3: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know, I love this book. It was a lot easier to get into than I expected when Iread it in middle school.

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments I have been so dang busy I haven't been able to read much! Argh!! Lol

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments I would like to have a crysknife.

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments The political intrigue so far in this book is very subtle. I thought the characters would be more revealing in their intentions but its so far very cloak and dagger

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments So I seriously wish that I had the training of the Benne-Gesserit woman to influence people just using different voice inflections. I think that would be the most awesome thing in the world.

message 8: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

The whole BG thing is kinda creepy though, yet I love how everything is so intriguing and captivating. Definitely a surprise for me when I first read it.

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments yes the BG is creepy. They are supposedly so powerful why are they settling for the role of concubine? I don't get it

message 10: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

There's a lot im still confused about when it comes to them. I thought they just stay in a cave and turn old as hell or something?

message 11: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh wait... I was thinking about when whats his face was in the cave. Yeah I dunno. Maybe they are like companions, trained specially to be sold off to men who need them. UGH!

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments Yeah that's what I was thinking they're trained and sold off to royalty to be like their advisers/lovers and bear them children that could have the potential to be special like they are

message 13: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike One of my favorite charcters in this book is Gurney Hallak. For a minor character, he is quite intersting.

message 14: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Right? He should have a book of his own!

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments I agree. He would make an excellent spin off character.

message 16: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike On two different occassions, when in an interview, I have been asked what person inspires me the most. Both times said, Gurney Hallak. Then I had to explain myself.

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments Lol!! That's awesome. Yeah that would be really random to someone who isn't a fan of the series.

message 18: by Oladipo (last edited Sep 11, 2012 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oladipo (Fadeyi) | 3 comments My fourth read through of Dune despite the fact that i read the entire series in the order they were released as well as reading the entire series again starting with the sequels and all the way to the last book.
Despite knowing all the back story and ending of the series, I still find Dune to be fascinating. My favorite character is this book is Alia. Nuff said.

THE SPICE MUST FLOW

message 19: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Oladipo wrote: "My fourth read through of Dune despite the fact that i read the entire series in the order they were released as well as reading the entire series again starting with the sequels and all the way to..."

Agreed! Every time I read the book, there's something new to discover.

Sarah (Gmbygrl) | 17 comments I love that everyone has books that still offer new things to them even after multiple rereads.

message 21: by Kaylah, The Lady Kaylah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dune is most definately one of those books.

message 22: by Mike (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mike Here is my question for discussion: the typical hero convention based on Greek mythology invovles a young man, who is usually orphaned and sometimes in the custody of his Uncle, only to find out at some point in his life that his parents were important people and he needs to fulfill his destiny and restore their honor. This generally requires a quest of some sort which results not only in growth but in the acquisition of some type of item. Two stories utilize this convention as Harry Potter (Harry) and Star Wars (Luke Skywalker). How does Frank Herbert utilize the convention? Where does he stray from it? What makes his hero archetype (Paul Atreides) unique yet similar?

message 23: by Oladipo (last edited Oct 13, 2012 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oladipo (Fadeyi) | 3 comments Paul Atreide is does not fit that trope just on the basis that his Father and Mother are very much alive
right from the beginning of the story. If you have to compare his story to a typical story convention, You could compare him to a young prince. The prince is a young man with still wet behind the ears with a lot to learn and there is danger looming from whence we know not yet.

unread topics | mark unread