Dune Fanatics discussion

Frank Herbert
This topic is about Frank Herbert
New Frank Herbert Novel ~ High-Opp

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (last edited Mar 17, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) High Opp by Frank Herbert, not Brian and not a Dune novel. I know it's a Dune group, but I know a lot of Frank fans are here.
I can't find it on goodreads yet.

http://www.dunenovels.com/ebook/high-opp

From the link:
That is the rallying cry of the Seps, the Separatists engaged in a class war against the upper tiers of a society driven entirely by opinion polls.

Those who score high in the polls, the High-Opps, live in plush apartments, with comfortable jobs, every possible convenience. But those who happen to be low-opped, find themselves crowded in Warrens, with harsh lives and brutal conditions.

Daniel Movius, Ex-Senior Liaitor, rides high in the opinion polls until he becomes a casualty, brushed aside by a very powerful man. Low-opped and abandoned, Movius finds himself fighting for survival in the city’s underworld. There, the opinion of the masses is clear: It is time for a revolution against the corrupt super-privileged. And every revolution needs a leader.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mrsmelissa) | 10 comments Hmmm... Interesting!

message 3: by Ampoliros (last edited Mar 27, 2012 08:47AM) (new)

Ampoliros | 10 comments (reposted from twitter) "@TheKJA Watched REAL STEEL while keying in corrections to Frank Herbert's never-published novel HIGH-OPP. Doing double-duty.
11:16 PM - 29 Feb 12 "

If that's the care that was taken with it then I'll pass.

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thelastwolf) I was under the impression this was strictly a Frank book. Why is Anderson involved? I'd much prefer a copy editor doing any needed corrections.
I wasn't planning on buying it anytime soon anyway.

message 5: by Ampoliros (new)

Ampoliros | 10 comments I know there are plenty of people here who enjoy his books, but frankly he's always given me the impression of being a leech that attaches his name to impressive IP's to get published.

He's taken over all of the e-publishing for the Herbert Limited Partnership so it would seem.

This is what makes me one of the Orthodox Herbertarians, not that the legacy of Dune is being continued, but that its been handed over to a man who not only edits while watching dvd's but who doesn't consider that a bad thing.

message 6: by Hunchback Jack (new)

Hunchback Jack | 2 comments According to this review on the B&N site, KJA's meticulous attention to detail while editing this book really paid off:

"There are so many type-O's in this eBook that I lost count before I was half-way through. Here are two examples: (page 407) "We week to raise humanity above its past heights." (page 452) "Movius felt every sense in his body come was a trap!" Phrases like this leave the reader wondering what the author meant to say and disrupt the flow of the narrative. It appears that the publisher rushed an unpolished manuscript to market with no more editing than a run through the spell-checker. This eBook doesn't do justice to Frank Herbert's legacy. I hope the publisher will recall it for revision."

HBJ