Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > Top 10 Horror Movies

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I am listing my top 10 based on re-watchablility, in no particular order:

Alien
Aliens
American Werewolf in London
Evil Dead 2
Jaws
Silence of the Lambs (may not be horror, but it's MY list)
Bram Stokers Dracula (and yes, I know Keanu is a Tool)
House of Frankenstein
Poltergeist
Nightmare on Elmstreet - Dream Warriors

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) I just picked based off of "Movies that I cannot pass up if they are on TV" No matter what... if Jaws is on I HAVE to watch it to the end. And since I grew up in FL, less than a mile from the Ocean... the movie terrifed me for years, I still feel uncomfortable in the ocean if I can't see my feet... and that makes it horror in my mind.

message 3: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (LoveMyFrogs) | 2 comments 1) It by Stephen King- Can't look at clowns the same way anymore!
2)The Shining
3)The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
4)1408
5)Don't Open the Window
6)The Boogeyman
7)Poltergeist-The first one!
8)Bloody Mary
9)Final Destination-All of them
10)Dawn of the Dead

message 4: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments 1) Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
2) The Orphanage
3) Alien & Aliens
4) The Thing (remake)
5) Rosemary's Baby
6) The Shining
7) Jeepers Creepers (don't laugh, I love it!)
8) Ju-on
9) 'Salem's Lot
10) The Mist

message 5: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments Here's my list in no particular order:
Alien
Aliens
The Thing (john carpenter)
The Fog
The Howling
Nightmare on Elm Street
The Stand
The Shining
It
Jaws
Poltergeist
Resident Evil
Dawn of the Dead
Final Destination

Sorry, I couldn't choose only 10. :D

message 6: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments I've seen Pan's Labyrinth. I loved it. :D I'd also like to add Arachnophobia to my list of favorite horror films. :D

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (ravenskya) The Orphanage is great... I loved Pan's Labyrinth. I have Devil's Backbone but haven't watched it yet.

message 8: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Horror is what scares or disturbs you. Here are some of my favorites:

Halloween
Dracula (with Reeves)
Silence of the Lambs
Alien
An American Werewolf in London
The Exorcist
Hostel
The Hills Have Eyes
Jaws
Scream

message 9: by Adam (new)

Adam | 4 comments This list feels a little generic and I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.
Suspiria
John Carpenter’s The Thing (I watch this once a year and it never disappoints)
Alien
Rosemary’s Baby (Repulsion and The Tenant also for Polanski)
The Descent
Dawn of the Dead
Eraserhead
Little Otik
The Shining
Cronenberg’s The Fly and Videodrome
Black Sunday
Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Pulse and Cure
-Adam

message 10: by Tressa (last edited Dec 15, 2008 07:05AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rebecca, I added The Mist because I've sort of given up on Stephen King-related movies and was really bowled over by this movie. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. And not only were the creatures scary (especially the last one), but Marcia Gay Harden's religious nutjob whipping the mob into a fury was even scarier. Those scenes were really tense because there was just no talking reason to them once she got rolling.

To those who haven't seen The Orphanage, please do. I did see Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone; and while those are good movies I don't think they can touch The Orphanage. I connected to this movie like I haven't connected to another in a long time. It's more than just a horror movie--there was a lot of heart to it at the end. I think it's being a mother to a son that made me feel more about this movie. I rarely watch a movie twice in such a short amount of time, but I did see this one again and wept at the end both times. I've never cried after any other horror movie, lol.

Oh, and my husband ridicules my love of the Jeepers Creepers movies. I think they're very creepy and are fun to watch and enjoy both of them equally. The beginning of the first Jeepers Creepers scares the hell out of me. I've always hated the thought of having to drive on those long highways in the midwest. Who's to know what happened to you if your car breaks down or some nut kidnaps you and you go missing?

message 11: by Steve (last edited Dec 15, 2008 03:46PM) (new)

Steve Rebecca, I think The Mist was very well realized, though I need to put some distance on it before I include as a part of any best of lists. I also liked the Jeepers Creepers flicks...

In no particular order..

The Thing (Carpenter)
Audition
Alien
The Innocents (the greatest ghost story film IMHO.)
The Exorcist
Night of the Living Dead
Halloween (Carpenter)
Psycho (Hitchcock)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
The Birds (Hitchcock)

message 12: by Gary (new)

Gary | 18 comments Alien
Night of the Living Dead
The Orphanage
The Eye (original Japanese version)
The Cello (Japanese)
Session 9
Skeleton Key
Hellraiser
The Descent
Carnival of Souls

I'd add the Mist if it weren't for the last five minutes. Why couldn't Darabont stay true to the short story?

There are more but I can't think of them right now. I'll get back to you.

message 13: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Gary, I also didn't like the end of The Mist. I read that Stephen King just LOVED that ending. That sounds like something he'd enjoy. I hated it and didn't see the reason for it, especially since that's not how the story ended. I have a soft spot in my heart for little boys because I've got one of my own. Bleh.

I watch Skeleton Key every time it comes on. There's just somethin' about that hoodoo voodoo movie that I love. Maybe because my mom's cajun and Louisiana has been in my blood since childhood.

Funny you should mention Carnival of Souls. I thought it was one long, weird Twilight Zone episode. I knew what would happen at the end when the car was towed out of the river. The actors were sort of scary and I'm not just talking about the ones in full ghoul makeup.

message 14: by Gary (new)

Gary | 18 comments If anyone can recommend any good possession movies along the lines of Session 9 and Skeleton Key, that would be great.

message 15: by Tressa (last edited Dec 16, 2008 08:41AM) (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Gary, have you seen The Exorcism of Emily Rose? Very scary.

Rebecca, I was a hardcore true crime fan when I was in my twenties, before marriage and my son came along. It's not like I grooved on reading about the ways people died, but I loved how the killers were tracked and brought to justice. I wish I had gone into forensic science.

However, I no longer read true crime books but still do enjoy Dale Hinman and watching updates about current cases such as Caley's. This is just because I want justice for the victim.

But things I've read I can't unread, and I will be having a tender moment with my son and a flash of some abuse I've read about will come to me and it socks me in the gut and I end up becoming very sad as I'm trying to enjoy being with my son. When I was potty training him I kept thinking about the hillbilly couple who got pissed at their toddler's accidents and picked him up and slammed him headfirst into the toilet over and over again. The mother covered his mouth to stop his screams from being heard.

I don't know if you've ever read about Wesley Alan Dodd but he killed two boys who were walking in the woods and castrated them. He kidnapped a sweet blond 5-year-old from a park and took him back home for a few days, raped him, and then hanged him in his closet. The boy cried that he would be good as he slowly strangled to death. Details like this and that the boy was wearing those comic book underwear that little boys wear is just too heartbreaking for me and it taints bits and pieces of my life that I want to enjoy. I just can't do it anymore.

When my husband and I are being intimate, I'll think about children who were sexually molested and it ruins the mood. I don't want my life to be this way so I avoid true crime at all costs.

message 16: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments I love talking to you and i hope that we can keep this up.

Anytime, Rebecca. You can always PM me here if you want to talk. Funny how I love horror but hate the horror of true crime.

message 17: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Let me know what you think about The Orphanage. Santa's bringing me a copy for Christmas. Hee hee.

message 18: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Did you cry at the end? I did. Both times. I thought it was heartbreaking when she figured out what happened and went into the basement. I won't give anything else away.

message 19: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments The house was fantastic. I can easily imagine living there by the ocean.

message 20: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (LoveMyFrogs) | 2 comments Rose Red by Stephen King tops my list. There is a little bit of everything good in it! It's a 2 disc movie, but well worth your time.

message 21: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 25 comments Margaret, I loved that movie. It was one reason why I wanted to start reading King's Books.

message 22: by Lori (last edited Nov 15, 2009 01:23PM) (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments ****** Found this old topic, it looked good.******

1) Resident Evil - all 3
2) Wrong Turn - the first one
3) Final Destination - all 4
4) Nightmare On Elm Street - first 3
5) Halloween - the first 2 & H2O
6) Friday The 13th - the first 1
7) The Hills Have Eyes - 1 & 2 (from 06&07)
8) Evil Dead - all that have Bruce Campbell
9) Zombieland - so far it's only been 1
10) Night Of The Comet - it's awesome
11) From Dusk To Dawn - the first 1

Sorry i went to 11. I'm sure i could make another list, there's just so many i love. Maybe i'll come back later, after others have had a chance. :)

message 23: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments actually, lori, you have about 20, but whose counting?

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments has anyone seen Pin, circa 1974ish? CREEPY!!!

message 25: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments ohh, how about Magic, with a really young Anthony Hopkins. the book was pretty good as well

message 26: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Forgot about Magic, Kelly. Puppets have always scared the hell out of me. What's that cheesy but scary movie about dolls/puppets that come to life? Puppet Master?

message 27: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments Oh Phantasm the first one was great.

I hate dolls! Magic was scary as hell to me, i seen it once, & that was enough for me. Right there beside Magic is Puppet Master. Can't watch anything where the main character is a doll. Except Chucky he's as funny as he is a killer.

Where are you alls top ten list? Have they changed much sense last year?

message 28: by Megan (last edited Nov 15, 2009 08:00PM) (new)

Megan | 11 comments In no particular order:

Nosferatu (1922)
Poltergeist (original)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Psycho (1960)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
28 Days Later
Cat People (1942)
Freaks (1932 .... not really a horror movie, but the ending scared the crap out of me ~you know when the freaks are crawling in the mud underneath the trailers *shiver*)
The Fall of the House of Usher (there is an old black & white version that I love ~ not sure of the year)
Shaun of the Dead

message 29: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 134 comments Lori, I haven't thought about Night of the Comet in years. As a kid in the 80's, they played it on HBO constantly. I must have seen it at least a dozen times.

I enjoyed the original Hills Have Eyes. It really creeped me out.

message 30: by Scott (new)

Scott I've never seen Magic but I remember that the commercial on TV freaked me out when I was a kid. That and the one for It's Alive.

message 31: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Rusty, I remember when Night of the Comet was shown ad nauseum on HBO back in the '80s. It is a fun movie with lots of zombies in it.

My sister and I watched The Hills Have Eyes when we were pretty young. I guess my parents weren't paying attention. We always laughed at Jupiter and Mars communicating on their walkie-talkies. Don't ask me why. Even to this day one of us will say, "Jupiter?" "Mars?"

I sort of remember the Magic commercial but definitely remember the It's Alive promo.

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments You know what? Back in the day HBO would start around 6 or 7 a clock till the next morning around 4 or 5am showing horror movies. Yeah they might show the same one 2 or 3 times, but who cared it was still scary shit on tv. If halloween was on a friday they would show them all weekend. I don't know about you but tuneing into HBO on halloween to find reruns of True Blood & boxing crap doesn't make me happy.

message 33: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Years ago we got HBO only for The Sopranos; when Sopranos ended we canceled HBO. There are some personal reasons I don't subscribe to HBO that I won't go into here.

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments thanks tressa, i'll be wondering on that one all night. a woman of mystery, i like that

message 35: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments Yeah that's T, a woman of mystery.

Hey Kelly, I'm going to Florida for Thanksgiving, and i'll be in your part of the world. We're going to spend a day in St. Augustine. It's a small world rfter all.

message 36: by William (new)

William (acknud) | 0 comments Who is "deleted member" and why are they deleted?

message 37: by Lori (new)

Lori (barfield) | 1692 comments Don't know. Was looking thru topics & found this one on the 15th. Hadn't been used sense last December.

message 38: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments It's not that Rob guy, is it? I don't remember how long ago he was here but this could be his resurrected thread. I'm bad with measuring time passage, though.

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments lori, the world seems even smaller when you live in a town like St A. everybody knows everyone, and they even seem to be related in some distant fashion. my stepfathers family originate from the original Minorcan slaves sent here from Spain. ahh, the south

message 40: by Carl (new)

Carl I. | 609 comments Dawn Of The Dead (original)
The Creature From The Black Lagoon
Frankenstein
Dellamorte Dellamore
Mystery Of The Wax Museum
The Thing From Another World
Halloween (original)
Alien/Aliens (can't have one without the other)
Jaws
All of the Godzilla films

But then there are hundreds that fall right on the heals of any one of these...

message 41: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sheffield | 46 comments you said it carl, although, for every great there are about 30 awful. alas, i continue my quest!

message 42: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 231 comments I wanted to like Let The Right One In, but I just could not. It bored me a bit. Am I too used to fast food?

I did like the ending though!!

message 43: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) | 19935 comments Let the Right One In didn't bore me for one minute. What do you think could have given it more of a punch?

message 44: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) | 231 comments I guess it is just me, since it is well reviewed. I just thought it trudged along a bit. I just didn't get invested with the characters until the end.

message 45: by Jaice (last edited Dec 02, 2009 09:00PM) (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 46 comments I thought the first 30-40 min of it (LtROi) was pretty slow, but enjoyed the movie overall--it was just so unique.

message 46: by MissT (new)

MissT (trace_is_ace) | 107 comments 1- House of 1000 Corpses
2- Saw (all of them)
3- Exorcism of Emily Rose
5- Devils Rejects
6- Hostel
7- The Lost Boys (not really horror but still one of my fav all time vampire movies to this day)
8- The Exorcist
9- Friday 13th (as a kid)
10- Halloween (as a kid)

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

1- Halloween (1978)
2- Dawn of the Dead (1978)
3- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
4- Psycho (1960)
5- The Exorcist
6- Braindead (Dead Alive)
7- Planet Terror
8- Bram Stoker's Dracula
9- Christine
10 - Evil Dead II

message 48: by William (new)

William (wmcc) | 41 comments 1-Alien Trilogy
2-The Shining
3-The Exorcist
4-Cabin Fever
5-The Last Exorcism
6-Halloween(original)
7-The Grudge
8-Evil Dead 2
9-The Thing
10-28 Days Later

message 49: by Traci (new)

Traci I grew up on my family's favorite horror movies so some of these will be dated. I'm going to try to mostly name ones I haven't seen listed yet because I want anyone reading this to go rent these movies you don't recognize.

1. The Haunting-the orginal. Best horror movie period. Based on The Haunting of Hillhouse and scary without the aide of any special effect.

2. Night of the Hunter-Robert Mitchum as a killer, not exactly horror but stylish as hell and very creepy.

3. Don't Be Afraid of the Dark-the one coming out is a remake of this one. Salllly.

4. Exorcist-I have to mention the movie that scared me the most. The sacralism of some of the shots plus that they use a young girl. I didn't feel "safe" watching this movie. And hiding your eyes doesn't help here.

5. Trilogy of Terror-analogy movie that ends with Richard Matheson's Prey, here called Amelia. A doll with the spirit of a headhunter comes to life. Looooove this.

6. Race with the Devil-campers see a sacrafice and try to flee the devil worshippers. Peter Fonda. Eerie ending.

7. Jaws-best whatever movie of all time. Horror? Drama? Adventure?

8. Halloween-original, better slasher flick than most, so very iconic, and I love Michael Myers.

9. The Other-not The Others although that is also a great movie, this one is about a family with twin boys and one is lost.

10. only one left...dang I have so many, okay. Burnt Offerings-Karen Black and Bette Davis. An evil house rebuilds itself with the sufferings of others. I've been waiting for you Ben. Yikes!

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

In no particular order:

Carnival of Souls
The Blair Witch Project
Dawn of the Dead
The Evil Dead
Halloween
The Last Broadcast
Night of the Living Dead
The Shining
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
The Thing