Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > February Books

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Well just fun. I wanted to wait to announce February book(s) until I knew if the two books a month thing would pass. It did. So this month we will be doing The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, and The Heratics Daughter by Kathleen Kent The Heratics Daughter by Kathleen Kent. You can join both, one or none but it should make for some great fun and give everyone a better option.

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments That is so cool, the two books I really wanted to discuss. I just got Gargoyle so I am really ready for February!!

Are you leading Heretic's Daugher?

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
If you don't want to I will. Do you like the book so far?

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli There is a bit of a wait for The Gargoyle at my library but I should be getting Heretic's Daughter soon. I'm excited!!

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) I'm 3rd on the list to get "Heretic's Daughter" from our library. Holli beat me to it! LOL

I will be joining in on this one as it sounds like a great book. It will be my first "CoL" book! I'm a slacker, I know. I'm excited!

message 6: by Holli (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:31AM) (new)

Holli I did beat ya Kristen...I'm number one! For once :) I'm like number a million for Edgar Sawtelle. lol

message 7: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments $10 for Heretic's Daughter on BOMC2

Tera I want you to lead this one because if it weren't for you I wouldn't have picked it up so soon. I am grateful for your high recommendation. It is SO awesome, I am locking myself in the house to finish it.

THANK YOU TERA

message 8: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 99 comments Oh! How cool!

I LOVED Gargoyle and am dying to read Heretic's Daughter!! Thanks, guys!

BOMC2 also has Gargoyle for $10.

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Ohhhhhh Tera,
all I can say is that it is amazing, especially knowing it is a first time author. Holy cow!

message 10: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm SO glad you liked it Meg. It seems like a story to amazing to be real but I really had to remind myself that those events and those people are real. She did a great job. FIRST TIME author too!

message 11: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I can't believe it is her first. Amazing huh? Too bad she is not a goodreads member.

i want to shout to every to get this book.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) Oh I want to read both of these! I'm hoping the hubby has got me The Gargoyle for Christmas :) The Heretics Daughter isn't published in the UK til January, so I'll have to get that then.

message 13: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Tera, I also didn't realize that the author is a direct descendant of Martha, did you?

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 66 comments I'm looking forward to reading the Heratic's Daughter. I have read a few books on the Salem witch trials and I've been to Salem MA.

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Both of these books are on my "wish list" for Christmas!!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments I loved The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. One of the aspects that drew me to it was the fact that the author is a descendant of Martha. I had just read The Lace Reader, which is set in modern day Salem, so The Heretic's Daughter was a nice connecting read. I don't like to be negative, but I wasn't crazy about The Gargoyle, was somewhat disappointed. However, it wasn't a terrible read by any means, lots of interesting tidbits. And, I always remember that I absolutely loved The Girls by Lori Lansens and one of my best friends couldn't stand it. So, it is quite possible that everyone in the group will love The Gargoyle. I look forward to the discussions on both books.

message 17: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
That is so funny Kathy I read The Lace Reader right after Heratics Daughter also. I really liked it. I usually figure out the twists in books early on but that one got me.

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Yes, Tera, The Lace Reader certainly had its surprises. I think it's so interesting that what was considered the work of the devil (witchcraft) in old Salem was a thriving business in new Salem. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic that people lost their lives because of the hysteria.

message 19: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I am thinking that people are going to have a hard time keeping up, Would anyone like to do a pass around the book? For example, if I get to read Gargoyle quickly I could send it to someone who could then send it to someone else. Just hoping to get it back when the round is completed. Of course if more than one person is willing to share a lot more could participate. Anyone interested?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've been waiting for the Heretic's Daughter since October (when Tera rec'd it to me) and I'm #5 on the list - they just got it in in Oct so @ 2 months for ea person (if you renew it the max times) it might be Summer before I get it! BUT I've got a dvd to exchange @ Barnes & Noble (duplicate Xmas present) so I think I'll pick it up there!

message 21: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I'm a big library or PBS girl. I hate to buy a book unless I know I love it enough Ill read it again and again otherwise I library myself.

message 22: by Holli (new)

Holli I've rec'd The Heretic's Daughter from the library and will start it soon. I'm number 52 on the list for The Gargoyle so I'm sure I'll get it by February. Thanks for the offer though Meg!!

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so jealous of the libraries you all have access to! We just don't have anything here that resembles a good library! We are lucky to have a good book store and a great used book store.. I just can't ever find CoL reads at the used store!

I am spending a fortune.. I try to buy when I go off island but that doesn't always work out.

I am seriously thinking of starting a local book swap!

message 24: by Holli (new)

Holli I think you should Katie....I'm sure you aren't the only one there that wants the up-to-date books. What a great idea!!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Holli.. I really am trying to figure out how I can do it... and turn it into a business...

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments I just looked and my library has both of these on audio! I'm going to start them as soon as I finish The Thirteenth Tale.

message 27: by Dolly (new)

Dolly (dollya) Katie, My library here doesn't have either of these books, so you're not alone in that :)

In Asheville NC there is a wonderful used book store called Mr. K's. I may call them to see if they have it and if so, get someone to get it for me up there.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Katie, check out our Trading Post thread under the Hot book discussions topic! I think that could work well for ya!

message 29: by Rachelle (new)

Rachelle I'm very excited about both of the choices, I've wanted to read them so now I have an excuse to move those to the front of my ever changing list!

message 30: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I can't wait for everyone to read Heretic's Daughter, it is soooooooo good.

Gargoyle is next for me.

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 66 comments I just put myself on the list for the Heretic's Daughter at the library. I should get it in about a week.

message 32: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments I am so excited! I just found out today that Kathleen Kent, the author of The Heretic's Daughter, is going to be one of the participating authors at a book festival that I attend every April. It is the Southern Kentucky Book Fest held each April in Bowling Green, Ky. A couple of my book loving friends and I go each year. I have already read and loved The Heretic's Daughter, so I can't wait to hear Kathleen Kent speak and get her to sign my book.

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Brenda, I do hope you give it another chance. I really like the Salem witch trial period, nonfiction and fiction reading. I think one reason I was able to get right into it was that I had read The Lace Reader right before it, which is set in modern day Salem.

message 34: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments The first 15 pages are read of Gargoyle and all I can say is that it is so well written and hooks you by the 2nd page. What a month February is going to be!

message 35: by KrisT (new)

KrisT | 553 comments Yeah I am so glad you think so Meg. how are you going to balance W and P and the Gargoyle and the Heretic's daughter and any other reads this month is what I want to know?
I didn't join W and P cuz I read it a few years ago with a group. I want to reread Gargoyle and get the HD in from the library soon but so far my shouting out the back door for those who have it to hurry up and finish has yielded nada! :P

message 36: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Well I read Heretic's Daughter over vacation. And I am doubling up with W&P and Gargoyle. I am also reading one other book that I have to finish prior to reading our book for this month. Not too much pressure huh?

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments Know what you mean Brenda, that's kind of how I'm feeling about 3 cups of tea right now.

message 38: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (hannah7299) | 303 comments Just got The Gargoyle from the library today. Looking forward to reading it!

message 39: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I actually recently got both from the library. I am having problems getting in The Heretic's Daughter though, does it pick up? I haven't started Gargoyle because I got it today.

message 40: by Beth (new)

Beth Knight (zazaknittycat) | 130 comments I just started reading The Gargoyle last night. So far, so good.

message 41: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
I just got my copy of The Heratics Daughter in the mail yesterday, so I started it last night. I am very interested in reading this story because I have researched our family genealogy, and my husband actually has relatives who were arrested, sentenced, tortured and/or hanged in the Salem witch trials. I'm interested to see if any of them are mentioned in this book. Is anyone else here a descendent of any of the Salem trial families?

Kat (A Journey In Reading) (ajourneyinreading) | 390 comments Ok... so I was so looking forward to The Heretic's Daughter.... It has taken me two weeks to read it... I have less than 100 pages left and I keep wondering... "ok, is this going to get any better?" A book of its size usually takes me less than 2 days to read... what is up with this?

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Wilkerson (misslaurenwilk) I loved The Heretic's Daughter. One of the best books I've ever read. It felt like I was there, with the main character, feeling the same emotions. A great read!

message 44: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments I happened to find Heretic's Daughter at the library and recognized it as the February book. It sounds fascinating. I'm only a few pages it, its a tough book to read whenever you have a moment.

message 45: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa818) Sheila wrote: "I just got my copy of The Heratics Daughter in the mail yesterday, so I started it last night. I am very interested in reading this story because I have researched our family genealogy, and my hus..."

I have ancestors (well, one that I've found) that were involved with the witch trials! It's fascinating stuff!

message 46: by Holli (new)

Holli Lauren...I will agree that you feel you are right there with Sarah feeling and doing everything she is feeling and doing. In that respect the author did a fantastic job.

This book wasn't what I expected it to be at all and as I said in my review I would have enjoyed it more from Martha's point of view.

message 47: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I found it a little hard to get into, but once you hit about 150 you get totally drawn into it. I really loved the book.

message 48: by Meg (last edited Jan 12, 2009 09:09AM) (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Anyone start Gargoyle yet? I am loving it

message 49: by Thauna (new)

Thauna Meg, I'm reading it...about 80ish pages in or so. I'm very interested in it...I enjoy really being in someone's head, I think.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I tried reading The Gargoyle in November but I didn't get into it. But, I did like what I read so far. I just wasn't able to read it before someone else wanted to read it :-(

« previous 1