Axis Mundi X discussion

South Carolina Blocked from Issuing Religious License Plate

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Sigh. Annnnd now Fox & Friends has something to yell about for the next God Knows How Long. Better than the millionth rehash of "Why Barack Obama is a Muslim," I guess. New Headline: "War on Jesus: DMV... or Satan Worshipping Demon Hell Hole?"

... I might actually agree with the last part, but for different reasons entirely.

I think the federal judge was right, and I do think you're right to be upset about it, because it was a bogus, ridiculous thing to try to do in the first place. However, I really can't bring myself to care about a license plate. If they don't put it on the license plate, they'll put it in Jesus stickers all over the back anyway. Which is probably another argument for why they shouldn't really care about the license plate. Also, can't you get non government issued ones that say the same thing?

Ugh. Its too early for this.

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It was just a temporary injunction and the issue is probably not dead yet. If it goes to the Roberts Supreme Court it may be another 5/4 split reversal of this action. Wouldn't surprise me, anyway.

message 3: by Kelly (last edited Dec 12, 2008 11:52AM) (new)

Kelly Sherri- I'm sorry for the earlier post. Just sort of a general frustration with this whole church v. state endless battle and the ridiculous lengths that people will go to to get around it somehow to try to beat the system. I do agree with you, like I said.

I hope its not reversed.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I really don't care if people want religious imagery on their license plates. What is wrong with people?? How incredibly petty is this??? If I lived in SC I'd be pissed they were spending my tax dollars on giving a shit about this.

message 5: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Freckles?

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I agree there is some grey here.

message 7: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I has freckles, Larry. It's probably hard to tell with my Kali make-up on.

Sherri... I thought I was agreeing with you or I would have been less vehement in my post. : ) But I guess we disagree. If California wanted to offer religious themed license plates as one of the options, I really don't see that as being problematic. You can get ones that support the whales, or that protect national parks, or that feature palm trees. If they wanted to put a Jesus one in the line up I really wouldn't care, as long as it wasn't compulsory, and there were other options. Like KD says, they are for sale. Not funded by my tax dollars.

message 8: by Cyril (new)

Cyril I don't know about the system in SC, but take a look at this list of vanity plates in Florida:

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/specialtytags/

The annual fee for these plates go to private organizations. There are two problems I have with this. One - the large # of designs makes it harder to quickly see the actual number and state on the plate (the police here have complained about it, I believe), and two, plates have to be approved by the legislature - try getting a Islamic-themed plate approved.

Just have a simple design and buy a bumper sticker.

message 9: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) On closer examination, Charissa, I have spied the freckles. :)

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I kinda like that idea.

message 11: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

I would totally have a Hello Kitty license plate.

message 12: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (last edited Dec 12, 2008 06:25PM) (new)

or this:

description

message 13: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
We should all get cars like that, and then we would be a pink car nation!

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

Yes, I AM tired and punchy... Why do you ask?

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Mary Kay!

message 15: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

No Mary Kay!!! Bleh!!!

Hello Kitty is cute and Asian. Mary Kay is annoying and lives in suburbia.

message 16: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I think Mary Kay is actually dead.

message 17: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Dec 12, 2008 09:04PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
But her skin is STILL as dewy as a twenty-year-old's!

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Actually they stuffed her and mounted her in the Mary Kay Museum.

message 19: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Larry, Larry, Larry... first you were mounting broken glass encrusted cows, now it's taxidermied Mary Kay. Tsk tsk tsk.

Hello Kitty is just a pussy with a bow.

message 20: by Félix (last edited Dec 12, 2008 09:19PM) (new)

Félix (habitseven) Sweet. :)

I said they mounted her.

And after all, she still looks so young ....

message 21: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

oh yeah... "they"... uh huh.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I can't get away with anything.

message 23: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

It takes one to know one.

message 24: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) ::feels shiver up spine::

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
Yes, Larry, they can be very intimidating... Isn't it great!

message 26: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It is.