Movies We've Just Watched discussion

And the Golden Globes Go to...

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ceci (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:49AM) (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,” “Frost/Nixon” and “Doubt” led the Golden Globes with five nominations each Thursday, though the former two had a leg up with best-drama slots.

Other best-drama nominees: “The Reader,” “Revolutionary Road” and “Slumdog Millionaire.”

Meryl Streep had two nominations, best dramatic actress for “Doubt” and musical or comedy actress for “Mamma Mia!”; and Kate Winslet also had two, best dramatic actress for “Revolutionary Road” and supporting actress for “The Reader.”

Also chosen for dramatic actress were: Anne Hathaway, “Rachel Getting Married”; Angelina Jolie, “Changeling”; and Kristin Scott Thomas, “I've Loved You So Long.”

Nominees for dramatic actor were Leonardo DiCaprio, “Revolutionary Road”; Frank Langella, “Frost/Nixon”; Brad Pitt, “Benjamin Button”; Sean Penn, “Milk”; and Mickey Rourke, “The Wrestler.”

The year's biggest hit, the Batman blockbuster “The Dark Knight,” came in with strong awards buzz across the board but had only one nomination, supporting actor for Heath Ledger as the Joker. Ledger died of an accidental prescription drug overdose on Academy Awards nominations day last Jan. 22.

“This nomination is deeply appreciated and is not lost on those of us who continue to love and miss him,” said father Kim Ledger in a statement on behalf of the actor's immediate family. “We are so proud that our boy's work is being recognized in this way.”

“Happy-Go-Lucky” star Sally Hawkins capped a big week of Hollywood honors with a Globe nomination for best actress in a musical or comedy. Over the previous two days, Hawkins was chosen as the year's best film actress by both the Los Angeles Film Critics Association and the New York Film Critics Circle.

Hawkins was riding in a taxi in London when she got the Globe news in a cell-phone text from her mother.

“I don't know how she knew before anyone else, but she's plugged in pretty well,” said Hawkins, who stars as an eternally cheery schoolteacher whose optimism is put to the test in “Happy-Go-Lucky.” “I didn't really believe it till I got the official call. I didn't believe her initially when I got the text. I just sent a text back saying, 'Are you sure?' Then the phone went ballistic with all the calls.”

“Doubt,” which got four acting nominations in all, also scored supporting nominations for Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis, plus a screenplay slot for director John Patrick Shanley, who adapted his Pulitzer Prize-winning play.

Tom Cruise and Robert Downey Jr. were nominated as supporting actor for “Tropic Thunder.” Each played odd roles: Cruise's psychotic movie producer in a bald cap, beard and fat suit, and Downey playing a white actor who undergoes a skin-tinting procedure to play a black man.

The Harvey Milk film biography “Milk” also had been at the top of awards watchers' lists but only grabbed an acting nomination for Penn. And one of the year's biggest comedy hits, “Sex and the City,” was shut out completely.

While the hit “Mamma Mia!” was among best musical or comedy nominees, the category was dominated by smaller movies. The other contenders are “Burn After Reading,” “Happy-Go-Lucky,” “In Bruges” and “Vicky Cristina Barcelona.”

Clint Eastwood had two music nominations for his “Changeling” score and for co-writing the title song for “Gran Torino,” part of which he also sang. But he missed out on directing nominations for both films and for an acting slot in “Gran Torino.”

The animated hits “WALL-E” and “Bolt” had two nominations apiece, for best animated picture and best song, the “WALL-E” tune co-written by Peter Gabriel and the “Bolt” song co-written by Miley Cyrus, who also lent her voice to one of the film's lead characters.

The song category was loaded with big names, including Bruce Springsteen for the title tune of “The Wrestler” and Beyonce Knowles for co-writing a song in “Cadillac Records.”

“Vicky Cristina Barcelona” earned a supporting-actress nomination for Penelope Cruz, and her co-stars Javier Bardem and Rebecca Hall each grabbed lead-acting slots in the musical or comedy categories.

Joining Hall, Hawkins and Streep in the musical or comedy actress lineup were Frances McDormand for “Burn After Reading” and Emma Thompson for “Last Chance Harvey.”

Along with Bardem, “In Bruges” stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson both were nominated for best musical or comedy actor. Also chosen were James Franco for “Pineapple Express” and Dustin Hoffman for “Last Chance Harvey.”

Ralph Fiennes had two nominations, supporting film actor for “The Duchess” and best actor in TV movie or miniseries for “Bernard and Doris.” Tom Wilkinson earned two TV nominations, actor in a movie or miniseries for “Recount” and supporting actor in a series, movie or miniseries for “John Adams.”

The Globes are the second-biggest film awards show after the Academy Awards and often set the tone for the Oscars by singling out key performances and achievements. The Globe ceremony is scheduled for Jan. 11, 11 days before Oscar nominations.

The glitzy Globes were canceled last year after celebrities said they would boycott the show in honor of a strike by the Writers Guild of America. Winners were announced at a hasty news conference instead.

Hollywood faces labor strife again with a potential strike by the Screen Actors Guild. But a strike-authorization vote early next month would come too late to affect the Globes this time.

The awards are presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a group of about 85 critics and reporters for overseas outlets.

message 2: by Tom (last edited Dec 12, 2008 06:56AM) (new)

Tom | 5438 comments They showed sense in that THE DARK KNIGHT was snubbed except for Ledger. I'm glad that Farrell and Gleeson were nominated for IN BRUGES, a film with more intelligence in its opening credits than in the combined non-Ledger scenes of TDK combined.

MAMMA MIA getting nominations for anything at all is a bad joke.

message 3: by Elena (new)

Elena | 20 comments I'm proud to add that, among the nominees for "Best Foreign Movies", there's the Italian "Gomorra"-A powerful and shocking movie. Good luck!! :)

message 4: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I agree with Tom, IN BRUGES is a great film (search these forums for my review) that was mostly misunderstood by the company's marketing campaign: they advertised it as a slick talking shoot'em up like a Tarantino film...which it ain't. Thank god.

Movies I'm waiting anxiously to see: MILK, THE WRESTLER, HAPPY-GO-LUCKY, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, and GOMORRA (thanks Elena!).

message 5: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Well, I hope that Ledger wins, but I'd have loved to see also nominations for Bale and Nolan!

Alex, Happy-Go-Lucky is excellent... I saw it at the cinema this autumn. Sally Hawkins deserves to win.

I can't believe that the Brangelina were nominated.

message 6: by M (last edited Dec 12, 2008 09:39AM) (new)

M (wwwgoodreadscomprofilem) I totally agree that "Gomorra" is an excellent, shocking movie. Alex, I'm waiting for "Milk", "Slumdog Millionaire", too. I'll watch "In Bruges" soon.

message 7: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Hope you enjoyed Happy-Go-Lucky!! :)

I arrange Oscar competitions with a few friends... sometimes I win.

message 8: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5438 comments HAPPY GO LUCKY was amazing, brilliant and moving, by FAR the best film of the year.

message 9: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments So glad you guys love it, too!

message 10: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments hi guys, happy to finally read someone gonna see GOMORRA- I suggested it to you since March(Cannes golden Palm)and alerted on the nomination already 3 months ago. GOOD.
I'll see In Bruges soon, I have it since couple of months but haven't seen it yet.
and, having read all commentaries about and Tom's positive one, I'll definetely go see Happy Go Lucky.

message 11: by Alex DeLarge (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments I just ordered HAPPY GO LUCKY on DVD so can't wait to see it! Those of you with region free dvd players can order it on disc from Amazon.uk for approx. $10.

message 12: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments It's a wonderful film. I'll be ordering it too.

message 13: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments It's funny, Happy Go Lucky was in theaters for a while and then it went away and now it's back again...did it get an award nomination or something?

I liked it a lot. I think I started a thread on it...maybe not.

message 14: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments Sally Hawkins got a Golden Globe nomination. :)

message 15: by Alex DeLarge (last edited Dec 17, 2008 01:19PM) (new)

Alex DeLarge | 851 comments GOMORRA has been released on Blu-Ray in Italy and it has English subtitles...and it's code free!! It will play in any BD player! If you google DVD.IT you will find the website (in Italian) so you may need to use Babel Fish. I've ordered from them before (see my post for FISTFULL OF DOLLARS) and they are a legitimate company with a secure website. I should have the disc in a few days, can't wait:)

message 16: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – The Hollywood Foreign Press Assn.'s decision to divvy up its Golden Globe nominations among a slew of pictures has made the task of predicting winners at the January 11 event all the harder. So where do the leading candidates stand?

Three movies tied for most nominations with five apiece: "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Frost/Nixon" and "Doubt." That would seem to make "Button" and "Frost/Nixon" the best bets for best picture (drama) ("Doubt" wasn't nominated) and hence the early front-runners for Academy Awards.

In fact, handicapping the Globes race is much more complicated.

"Button" is undoubtedly toward the top of the pack. It is a big, epic adventure of the sort Hollywood hardly ever pulls off anymore. (The HFPA deemed that another epic, "Australia," didn't pull it off at all, shutting it out of the nominations.) The fact that it also earned nominations for writing and directing is indicative of its strength across the board. An even louder signal comes from Brad Pitt's nomination for best actor (drama), as that category is widely viewed as the most competitive this year, and Pitt beat out such strong contenders as Michael Sheen ("Frost/Nixon"), Benicio Del Toro ("Che") and Richard Jenkins ("The Visitor").

That's the good news. On the negative side for "Button," awards season darling Cate Blanchett got spurned; the film's admirers have not been as fervent in their accolades as they have for some of the other contenders; and the HFPA has rarely been as swayed by the sheer scope of a movie as Oscar voters, many of whom come from the technical/crafts side that makes such scope possible.

So look to "Button" as a strong contender, but by no means a lock.

Another major player is a movie that didn't get any acting nominations, usually critical to awards success. "Slumdog Millionaire" is one off the lead in terms of its total nominations with four, but it is a much stronger best drama candidate than the numbers might indicate.

For one thing, it got nominated in the same two crucial areas as "Button": director and screenplay. Its fourth nomination, for its original score by Bollywood legend A.R. Rahman, is also telling. Since 1994, every movie that has taken home the best drama prize has also been nominated for original score. But most importantly, "Slumdog" earned nominations in pretty much every category in which it was a serious contender. That it received no acting nominations is hardly a surprise; few expected the movie's best-known actors, Dev Patel and Irfan Khan, to be recognized for their roles. So put down "Slumdog" as a leading rival.

cont.

message 17: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments What about the others?

"The Reader" and "Revolutionary Road" were the two biggest surprises among this year's best picture (drama) nominations, as neither has yet drawn the level of critical acclaim or audience enthusiasm that might be expected for films in the top categories. Also, both are emotionally difficult movies, which could hurt them in an era when HFPA members, just like everybody else, might be looking for something more positive. The fact that "Road" wasn't nominated in the screenplay category could also hint that its support is somewhat weaker.

On the plus side, each has a formidable force behind it: Both "Road" and "Reader" (along with "Doubt") were produced by the redoubtable Scott Rudin,one of the men behind last year's "No Country For Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood" -- though he took his name off "Reader" after a spat with executive producer Harvey Weinstein. And one of the story lines of this year's Globes is Weinstein's resurgence, with both "Reader" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" earning best picture noms.

Still, even with their big-name producers, insiders believe both "Road" and "Reader" are long shots for the top prize.

That leaves "Frost/Nixon" among the dramas. It, too, has a heavyweight producer backing it: Brian Grazer; it was made by a respected director, Ron Howard, who is about to celebrate his 50th year in the business; and it reteams writer Peter Morgan with actor Michael Sheen after their previous triumph, "The Queen." But despite rave reviews, the movie has not quite earned the buzz that "Queen" had in 2006-07, and it is uncertain whether Globes voters -- mostly foreign journalists working in the U.S. -- will connect emotionally to a story about Richard Nixon the same way Americans might.

In the best picture (comedy/musical) category, handicapping is even tougher. The lineup was predicted to be the weakest in years leading up to the nominations, the consensus being that the HFPA would be forced to include non-awards-type films such as Ben Stiller's "Tropic Thunder" and the Judd Apatow-produced "Pineapple Express."

Then the HFPA caught pundits by surprise, choosing a much more pedigreed group than anyone had anticipated. It did so by counting some pictures as comedies, even though their own backers regarded them as dramas (most notably "Happy-Go-Lucky"), and singling out one movie that hadn't even gotten an Oscar campaign: Martin McDonagh's "In Bruges."

"In Bruges'" selection may have left the folks at Focus Features scratching their heads after the HFPA shockingly neglected to nominate their acclaimed "Milk" in the best drama or director categories, but the snub has made the overall awards race much more exciting and hinted that this is one of the few years when the Globe winners could be real surprises.

But will "Bruges" win? A clue might normally lie in the screenwriting category, where the movie was not nominated. A writing nomination for comedy/music usually indicates a stronger endorsement than for some other contenders. But this year best comedy/musical nominees were shut out of the writing category, leaving none with a clear advantage.

The absence of a strong awards push and mixed critical response could also suggest that "Bruges" won't win. Then again, the movie earned not one but two lead actor (comedy/musical) nominations, for Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, indicating that it has some real fans inside the

HFPA.

But so does Woody Allen. And Allen secured acting nominations for three of his four lead cast members: Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz and Rebecca Hall (Scarlett Johannson missed out). That -- and the fact that the Weinstein Co. likely will ramp up its lobbying campaign -- might give "Vicky Cristina" an edge.

Mike Leigh's "Happy-Go-Lucky" drew raves for its star, Sally Hawkins, who seems the favorite to win lead actress (comedy/musical). But Leigh has never won a Globe, and many insiders regard "Happy" as less successful than some of his other films.

As for "Burn After Reading," another Focus film in contention, it generally has not been regarded as a strong awards contender, no matter how beloved the Coen brothers are by the HFPA.

The final film in the category, "Mamma Mia!" enters the race as the only musical and the highest-grossing film among the contenders in either best picture category (over $570 million worldwide and counting). But its reviews were not outstanding, and without that critical heft, its best chances may be if "Vicky," "Happy" and "Bruges" siphon votes from one another.

Though "Doubt" was overlooked for best picture, look for it to make a strong showing in the acting categories, as all four of its main cast members (Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis) received nominations. But the film's chances to bring home three Globes might be undermined by having two supporting actress nominees, with the attendant danger that voters will be divided between Adams and Davis.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

message 18: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments And the Golden Globes go to...

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – "Slumdog Millionaire" lived up to its underdog theme at Sunday's Golden Globes, sweeping all four of its categories, including best drama and director for Danny Boyle.

Kate Winslet won two Globes all on her own, best dramatic actress for "Revolutionary Road" and supporting actress for "The Reader." "The Wrestler" also had two, dramatic actor for Mickey Rourke and best song for Bruce Springsteen.

"Golden Globes, or the GGs as we very affectionately refer to them — your mad, pulsating affection for our film is much appreciated. Really, deeply appreciated," Boyle said.

"Slumdog Millionaire" also won best screenplay and musical score, firming up its prospects for the Academy Awards. The film features a generally unknown cast in the story of an orphan boy in Mumbai who rises from terrible hardship to become a champ on India's version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," all the while trying to reunite with a lost love from his childhood.

"We really weren't expecting to be here in America at all at one time, so it's just amazing to be here," said Simon Beaufoy, whose winning script was adapted from Vikas Swarup's novel "Q & A."

Winslet, who has previously been nominated five times without winning at both the Globes and Oscars, won for her role as a woman in a crumbling marriage in "Revolutionary Road" and as a former Nazi concentration camp guard in "The Reader."

"Revolutionary Road" was directed by Winslet's husband, Sam Mendes, and reunited her with her "Titanic" co-star Leonardo DiCaprio.

To DiCaprio, Winslet gushed: "I've loved you for 13 years and your performance in this film is nothing short of spectacular." To Mendes, she added: "Thank you for directing this film, babe, and thank you for killing us every single day and really enjoying us actually being in such horrific pain."

Woody Allen's Spanish romance "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" won for best musical or comedy film.

The three films that led the Globe field with five nominations each — "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," "Doubt" and "Frost/Nixon" — all were shut out.

As expected, the late Heath Ledger earned the supporting-actor Globe for his diabolical turn as the Joker in the Batman blockbuster "The Dark Knight." The Globe win boosts Ledger's prospects for the supporting-actor honor at the Oscars, whose nominations come out Jan. 22, the one-year anniversary of the actor's death from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs.

The award was accepted by "The Dark Knight" director Christopher Nolan, who said he and his collaborators were buoyed by the enormous acclaim and acceptance the film and Ledger's performance have gained worldwide.

"All of us who worked with Heath on `The Dark Knight' accept with an awful mixture of sadness but incredible pride," Nolan said. "After Heath passed, you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema."

Only one actor has ever won a posthumous Oscar, best-actor recipient Peter Finch for 1976's "Network."

Rourke won for a role as a former wrestling star who gets a last chance at glory in the ring, a theme that mirrors the actor's life after he derailed his career with bad-boy behavior.

"It's been a very long road back for me," said Rourke, who poured out his thanks to "The Wrestler" director Darren Aronofsky.

"I've said this before, in sports especially which I can relate to, really, truly great players come around every 30 years, and I really, truly believe Darren is one of those cats," Rourke said.

Other acting winners were Sally Hawkins as musical or comedy actress for her role as an eternal optimist in "Happy-Go-Lucky"; and Colin Farrell for musical or comedy actor for "In Bruges," in which he plays a hit man laying low in a Belgian tourist town.

Hawkins, a relatively unknown British actress and newcomer to Hollywood's awards scenes, was visibly nervous accepting her prize.

message 19: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments "I'll try and get through as much as my voice and nerves and knees will let me," said Hawkins, thanking family, cast mates and collaborators on the film, including director Mike Leigh.

The robot romance "WALL-E" won for best animated feature. Director Andrew Stanton thanked producer Pixar Animation and distributor Walt Disney, saying the unusual love story between two robots who communicate in beeps and squeaks "couldn't have been made anywhere else."

The foreign-language film prize went to Israel's "Waltz With Bashir," director Ari Forman's animated documentary about a soldier struggling to recall suppressed memories of his involvement in the war with Lebanon.

Among TV categories, "30 Rock" won best comedy series, with stars Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin earning the acting Globes in a musical or comedy. "Mad Men" won best TV drama.

The 66th annual Globes, the town's second-biggest movie celebration after the Academy Awards, returned to their somewhat boozy glory.

Last year's Globe show was scrapped after stars said they would stay away in honor of picket lines by the Writers Guild of America, which was engaged in a bitter strike against producers. In its place was a briskly paced news conference where winners were announced from a podium.

The Globes serve as a barometer for potential Oscar contenders, often singling out deserving newcomers who might have been overlooked among bigger-name stars. Relative unknown Hilary Swank won for dramatic actress at the Globes for 1999's "Boys Don't Cry," then went on to an upset win at the Oscars over Annette Bening, who had been considered the front-runner for "American Beauty." This year's Oscar ceremony comes on Feb. 22.

The Globes are presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a group of about 90 reporters covering show business for overseas outlets.

message 20: by Ceci (new)

Ceci (cecialbiceleste) | 529 comments I'm so pleased for Heath Ledger, and Sally Hawkins! :)

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10722 comments i'm happy for both of them, but super happy to hear my girl kate winslet get some golden globe love.