The Wonderful World of Jews discussion

The Artist's Torah

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Dec 12, 2008 03:30AM) (new)

David | 1 comments Hi ---

I just joined this group and am looking forward to any discussions the group might start.

I'm posting now to let the members of the group know about a Jewish blog I've recently launched. My blog explores the nature of creativity and the creative process for artists and others, using a Jewish spiritual lens. If you want to get right to the site, here’s the address:
artiststorah.typepad.com (no "www" at the beginning)

If you’d be interested in a little more detail:

As a writer, and as a person who teaches about creativity, I find myself regularly wrestling with a number of big questions that are rooted in the life I lead: What is creativity? Where does it come from? Who has it? How does it work? What does it do in the world? As a Jewish writer, I find myself asking: What, if anything, does Judaism have to say about all this?

In Judaism, we turn for understanding first and foremost to the Torah – the first five books of the Hebrew Bible. Our sages have even suggested that God read the Torah for instructions when creating the universe! Now, I should say that I personally don’t take a story like that literally, but see it instead as a kind of inspired metaphor for just how rich the Torah is as a text, how full it is of a people’s accumulated wisdom, how engaged it is with what we feel as sacred in the universe. With that understanding, this blog delves into our weekly Torah readings for wisdom on all aspects of the creative person’s life. Above all, this exploration is meant to be open and useful to all creative people, whether religious or not, whether Jewish or not, whether a professional artist or a part-time amateur.

So – feel free to check out “The Artist’s Torah.” If you like what you read and want to be notified whenever there’s a new post (I’ll post once or twice per week), click the “subscribe” link on the right side of the page. And if you think you know someone else who might be interested, don’t hesitate to spread the word as far as it’ll go.

artiststorah.typepad.com

B’shalom (in peace).

message 2: by Mel (new)

Mel (googreadscommel_alexenberg) | 1 comments David, You'll enjoy my new book about creativity in Jewish life. See the book's blog at http://photographgod.com
Shalom u'vracha, Mel