Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice discussion

Help! No more chick-lit

Comments (showing 1-33 of 33) (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (last edited Mar 15, 2012 10:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna I love to read. Always have. But recently I've noticed that all I've been reading is chick-lit...... not that there is anything wrong with that. I just would like something new. And I would appreciate your suggestions.

Astra Anna wrote: "I love to read. Always have. But recently I've noticed that all I've been reading is chick-lit...... not that there is anything wrong with that. I just would like something new. And I would appreci..."

Well, besides chick lit what types of books do you like?

message 3: by J (new) - rated it 5 stars

J You might want to look at The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I also enjoyed Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff. You might also want to look at Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle.

Kathy If you think you might like paranormal then your should try Rachel Vincent, Richelle Mead, Maggie Stiefvater, Julie Kagawa, Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. Or if you think you might dystopia (futuristic) then you should try Lauren Oliver's Delirium series it's one of my favorites or Hunger Games from Suzanne Collins. Shannon Hale wrote a fantasy series The Books of Bayern they are awesome too. Just a few of my favorites, how this helps you. Happy Reading!!!

message 5: by W (new) - rated it 5 stars

W Perhaps you should try some of the other classics. "A Tale of Two Cities," "The Three Musketeers," or "The Count of Monte Christo" are all great books that aren't at all chick-lit. I'm currently reading "Les Miserables," and have been enjoying that as well.

Anna Well I have read some Jane Austen and I loved it. I loved Jane Eyre. I like biographies and autobiographies as well..

Christina (Between Bookends) Try reading one of Wilkie Collins's books. I fell in love with The Moonstone and I just finished The Woman in White this morning and it was excellent. I love his writing style, he's right up there with Jane Austen as one of my favorite old authors. His books, while there is some romance, are not "chick-lit" they're mysteries and even though I'm terrible with mysteries I love these.

Maryam Try some books by John Green. I recommend looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars! Both are awesome books!
The first 2 chapters of 'The Fault in Our Stars' are available in Youtube where the author have read them live, so you can see if you like his style before buying.

JulieLaLa Try some completely anti-chick-lit by reading some Michael Crichton (Jurassic Park) or some Clive Cussler (archeology, thrillers).

Jeanie Wuthering Heights and Anna Karenina have memorable female main characters without being typical chick-lit. I really like Anthony Trollope's Chronicles of Barsetshire series if Victorian literature is your thing. But, for something completely different... Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card moved me deeply and entertained me thoroughly ; The Aubrey/Maturin series beginning with Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian was a stunning discovery to me and so totally outside of what I thought I could possibly like--but it's stunning; and C.S. Lewis's autobiography Surprised by Joy is quite wonderful.

message 11: by Hope (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hope you should try Dan brown novels it'll get your mind in new place away from chick lit

Astra Anna wrote: "Well I have read some Jane Austen and I loved it. I loved Jane Eyre. I like biographies and autobiographies as well.."

Well, if you liked Jane Eyre, Then you might like Wuthering Heights.

Matthew S. How 'bout "The Siren's Call"...buddy lit. Check out the website and excerpts from sample chapters @ http://www.thesirenscall.net

Nicole D. Wuthering Heights is wonderful.Have you read any Sherlock Holmes?

message 15: by Habz (last edited Mar 16, 2012 02:22PM) (new) - added it

Habz House of Silk by Anthony Horowitz
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Passage by Justin Cronin
Room by Emma Donoghue

message 16: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary If you like Austen and Charlotte Bronte, try Elizabeth Gaskell's "North and South." Also George Eliot's "Middlemarch" and "Daniel Deronda." Another poster recommended "Rebecca." Daphne DuMaurier also wrote many other books, among them "Jamaica Inn" and "Frenchmen's Creek."

message 17: by Susana (last edited Mar 18, 2012 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Susana Also by Charlotte Bronte there's "Vilette". By Anne Bronte i liked "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" and "Agnes Grey". By Balzac, i recommend "Eugenie Grandet". Also liked Wilkie Collins "The woman in white".
Now contemporaries, some of my favourite books, are "Juliet" by Anne Fortier, "My name is memory" by Ann Brashares. "A discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "The language of flowers" by Vanessa Diffenbaugh.
I like Lindsey Davis "Marcus Didius Falco" historical series very much. It starts with "Silver Pigs. And if you like great writing and ghost stories, i would recommend "The mercy of thin air" by Ronlyn Domingue.

Kirby I second several recommendations already made:

the hunger games
the three musketeers
the count of monte cristo
les miserables
any michael crichton
the book thief
east of eden

message 19: by Troy (new) - added it

Troy I'll recommend my favorite macho read: Hemingway's "The Sun also Rises:"

Let's all drink, brawl, go fishing in the Pyranees, run with the bulls, and pass out in the gutter. Ah Testosterone!

Licha The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. Excellent book.

Jeanie I have to add my new favorite--among them at least--series: Inspector Gamache/Three Pines Mysteries by Louise Penny. The prose is wonderful, the stories character-centric, the setting is Quebec, and the mysteries are pretty good too! Also, the Maisie Dobbs Mystery series is a wonderful set of stories set in post WWI with a private detective who is an intuitive psychologist and female. These two series have given me a great deal of pleasure without tremendous stress.

Reading Faerie Anna wrote: "I love to read. Always have. But recently I've noticed that all I've been reading is chick-lit...... not that there is anything wrong with that. I just would like something new. And I would appreci..."

Jane Eyre, Dracula, Dickens novels, and the Poirot series by Agatha Christie are all good non-chick-lit books.

Reading Faerie Susana wrote: "Also by Charlotte Bronte there's "Vilette". By Anne Bronte i liked "The Tenant of Wildfell Hall" and "Agnes Grey". By Balzac, i recommend "Eugenie Grandet". Also liked Wilkie Collins "The woman in ..."

Oh, yes! The Tenant of Wildfell Hall is one of my all-time favorites.

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin W When I was a teenager, I transitioned out of Austen and the Brontes by reading tons of Hemingway, Fitzgerald, and Steinbeck.

I like the recommendations of Wilkie Collins and George Eliot as well. Compulsively readable authors from the Golden Age of the Novel (19th Century).

message 25: by T.M. (new) - rated it 2 stars

T.M. M. Brenner I'm assuming shameless self-promotion is frowned upon here? How about shameful self-promotion?

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

if you are looking for a new book to read and don't know which do what i do, walk into fiction section of bookshop...grab random book...check you've not read it before, buy it and read it...that way it's a nice surprise and you find books you may not have read otherwise!

message 27: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Thank you Everybody! You all have great suggestions. And I will do my best to look in to everything you have reccommended.

message 28: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb What about "chick lit" do you enjoy? If you like a bit of romance, but in the context of an independent woman, try The Paris Wife, a novel about the first wife of Ernest Hemingway. If you enjoy "women in peril," try I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman, about a woman confronted by the man who kidnapped her when she was fifteen. If you want a touch of sweetness that won't insult your intelligence, try Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, about a romance between a very proper English gentleman and a Pakistani shopkeeper. If you want the opposite of chick lit, try Unfinished Desires by Gail Godwin - it's about women, women, women, and it has nothing to do with shoes, martinis or shopping.

message 29: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb Also, if you like mysteries at all, let me second the recommendation for the Inspector Gamache series. He is one of those detectives you fall in love with. And the village of Three Pines is so appealing, I wish it existed, because I would move there in a flash, in spite of all the murders!

message 30: by Jeff (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jeff Sara wrote: "Anna wrote: "Thank you Everybody! You all have great suggestions. And I will do my best to look in to everything you have reccommended."

With everything that has been suggested, you will be read..."

Certain Women by Madeline L'Engle is a good choice too.

Kirby Timothy wrote: "I'm assuming shameless self-promotion is frowned upon here? How about shameful self-promotion?"

lol

Roane Swindon I would suggest historical romances, like Girl with a Pearl Earring or In the Shadow of the Pomegranate. They have the "chick" necessities like romance, but the women in them are strong and interesting.

Jessica Anna wrote: "Well I have read some Jane Austen and I loved it. I loved Jane Eyre. I like biographies and autobiographies as well.."

I would suggest you read Wuthering Heights. Written by Charlotte Bronte's sister, it is of the same time period as Jane Eyre, but you'll find it's much less chick-lit.

I am also going to suggest The Eyre Affair & Austenland; though it is definitely more chick-lit, I think you would find them enjoyable, and a fresh twist on the types of novels you seem to enjoy. :)

Lastly, based off of none of your previously listed likes, I'm also going to plug for The Shadow of the Wind because it's an amazing novel and I think everyone should read it. ;)

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Pride and Prejudice (other topics)