Proceedings of the Royal Academy of Humore discussion

Fun...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stephen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Stephen | 27 comments Uh, I'm looking around here, not seeing much going on...is there anyone who can tell me when the fun is going to start?

message 2: by Micah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Micah Issitt (micahissitt) | 22 comments Mod
Good question Steve.

Moderator Micah here. The fun is scheduled to begin at 9:15 A.M. Eastern Time on November 18, 2007. A quick warning; once the fun begins, regrettably, it can never again stop.

A short note on science should help to clarify: Fun is based on the interaction of a number of forces, among them the mysterious force known as funertia. Scientists believe that funertia is caused by the interaction of subatomic particles which are released by fun-o-cules when they come within one funometer of one another. The primary thing to remember about funertia is that, once it gets going nothing can stop it.

Though early scientists, like Aristotle and his brother Jeb, tried to develop a form of alchemy based on a force called "depress-trons" that would cancel the inherent funertia of a given object, their experiments were unsuccessful and humankind does not currently know how to stop the fun.

Thanks for the comment.

message 3: by Stephen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Stephen | 27 comments You may correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe depress-trons were originally found in hemlock, since I'm pretty sure Socrates was put in the clink for having an outrageously fun time and was sentenced to drink some hemlock to settle his manic-ass down. He was never the same after the drink...all the fun was gone right out of him.

message 4: by Micah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Excellent point Stephen.

While Socrates hasn't been nearly as fun since drinking his depress-tron-laced cocktail, the fun wasn't entirely driven from him. Experts believe that Socrates' corpse was actually quite fun and that people observing his dead body often burst into hysterical laughter. In addition, the many parasites and insects that eventually fed upon his corpse described its as "the party of the century," giving credence to the idea that the Fun never stops.

message 5: by Stephen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Stephen | 27 comments Quality in-depth analysis.

Now although the fun death of Socrates can be easily explained away, I understand that the "Theory of Fun" is still only a theory and not a law due to conundrums like Pink.

Not the color mind you, which has been embraced and posited towards fun by many, but the artist. In 2001, she claims to have "Gotten (Get) the Party Started," and while most parties are fun, I believe this was emblematic of the end of her career. Though, she apparently put out an album a year ago claiming "I'm Not Dead," which I believe were the same words that Socrates used right after drinking the Hemlock.

Is it possible that her fall from pop grace, after succumbing to low album sales due to depresstron laced ears, was actually a boost to the overall fun having of the planet? Or is she still having fun by listening to her own music suggesting a "fun regression," not total absence?

message 6: by Micah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Stephen,

While you are correct that Pink's effort to "start the party" was also her fortuitous death knell, I should point out that not all parties are fun. Some parties, while meant to be fun, are actually a breeding ground for depress-trons, shitty-time-o-cules and other not-so-fun particles.

While Pink claimed to have fun both in making her album and to performing to crowds across the country, the exact fun/non fun content of her career has never been reliably measured.

I think you should be lauded, however, for calling attention to the fact that Pink's disappearance from the music scene increased the fun content of the universe considerably.