College Students! discussion

college talk > Plans After You Graduate?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 99) (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily okay so if you're anything like me, you HATE it when people (and for some reason complete strangers always think its okay to do this)ask you "so what are you going to do with your life after you graduate?" or something to that extent.

With the holidays approaching it means seeing more family i haven't seen in a while who are wondering what i'm even going to school for, and it's hard to tell them what i've told them the past two years "I don't know!"

Anyway! Out of curiosity, and because it's more fun for me to ask than to answer, what do you guys want to do career wise after you graduate?

message 2: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
I plan on going to fashion school and then working my way up in the fashion industry. haha. very vague answer i give everyone..because its a very vague plan. :)

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I wish mine was more open-ended... right now it sounds really boring, I guess, and so ... planned. set in stone. Although it's not, I suppose.

Right now the plan is to graduate in May 2010 and then straight to grad school. Then I supppose I will get a job (no idea about the setting, but maybe in Oregon or Washington? People say I would love it there) and that will be that. Not much adventure there. But I also plan on doing Peace Corps or something to that extent and possibly NET.

Plans never work for me. So I'm hesitant to plan anything.

message 4: by Darryl (last edited Dec 10, 2008 06:26AM) (new)

Darryl As far as the question from friends, strangers, family, and family strangers, the conversation usually runs something like this:

Them:
What are you studying in college?

Me:
liberal arts

Them:
Really? What do you want to-

Me (cutting them off):
I'm going to be a Liberal Artist.

My GF is in grad school right now, so I'm going to work for a while until she is done with school, and then figure something else out from there.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments I want to become an artist, publish all of my stories and poems, be in a band/sing, go to Ireland and maybe stay there ...

But that's just what I really want to do and I have no idea how to get there, and I'm not sure if it's what God wants me to do.

message 6: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Ha right now the plan is to finish up school then go into radio full time. Hopefully I will have my two home businesses started up.

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments I want to graduate (quicker would be awesome), get into bank management training, the be a branch manager! And then read the rest of my life... hehe.

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha Darryl! That's awesome.

message 9: by Janet (new)

Janet Haha Darryl that is good!!

I plan to graduate in December 2009 and either get a teaching job or a para job (Special Ed. teaching assistant) and then hopefully get a teaching job the next fall and possibly move to Alaska if my boyfriend hasn't found a good job here! But we'll see, I just really want to teach when I am done!

message 10: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

first lesson in the job hunt(as a graduate) for me:

*If it sounds too good to be true..it probably is*

crazy story...

so i found this job online for an advertising agency..it sounded amazing..room for growth..working with the advertising for professional sports teams and such. so i contacted them. the woman emailed me to set up an appointment and then called me. she was really pushy with me..and i told my boyfriend that..and said that i wasn't so sure that i wanted to work there..also because it was kind of far away to drive..the woman kept calling me. it was bizarre. so last night i'm watching the 11 pm news..they start talking about this local agency that is a scam..and sure enough it was this place..turns out they do nothing with sports agencies or advertising..but people would end up selling rugs or something door to door..apparently the newscaster said that most people who started there only lasted a day because they knew something was wrong. the newsperson went undercover acting as if they were going on an interview and those people fed them so many lies. Then sure enough on the television was the girl that i talked to..i def. recognized that voice. i KNEW it was shady. I'm so glad that I followed up gut and didn't go to the interview. I was in shock..i think i had my mouth open for the whole time they were doing the investigation.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments jamie, i know exactly what you're talking about! my best friend graduated last year and was so excited. it was probably the same company, because it was supposedly a job in sports marketing and she had a couple of interviews and then went to shadow for a day.. and they just went door to door selling random things that had nothing to do with sports. they still put ads on craigslist about it in our area. if i hadn't known from her experience to stay clear of them, i most likely would have applied there.

message 12: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

that is EXACTLY what it was!! i found it on craigslist too! so crazy!

message 13: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) That's almost scary! That would suck hardcore to find a job that you were excited about and it turned out to be something completely different.

message 14: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments What a weird story Jamie!!! You've gotta watch those adds LMAO

Okay my plans: Graduate from Undergrad --> A year teaching in Thailand --> Grad School ---> Child Psychologist! WOOT WOOT! Well that's the plan, anyways.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn silvia, I've thought about taking a year off in-between undergrad and grad to do something like that.. but I haven't seriously looked at any programs. Do you already have a program in mind? Which is it?

message 16: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments I know theres a really good one out there...I cant think of the name off the top of my head. I'll research it for you. But this program pays for 1 way of the airfare, houses you in a simple room and gives you wages to teach english. The wages aren't much, but you could definatly accumulate them if you already have housing provided. I want to earn a little for my grad school! Ill get back to you with that organization name!

message 17: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Oh already found it! Its caled teachabroad.com Here is a more in depth link to teaching in Thailand:

http://www.teachabroad.com/listingsp3...

Cool!!! Eh? LOL!

message 18: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Silvia my cousin is doing that in Japan and he loves it! I'm sure you will enjoy it just as much!

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn silvia, that's so cool! I also saw something about Volunteering for Peace on there which looks interesting.

caiti, what program is your cousin in?

Oh man, I really want to have these life changing experiences but I worry that it just won't fit in, you know what I mean?

message 20: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I just talked with our HR guy about how they determine who to offer internships and/or permanent jobs to, and thought I would pass along the info.

We have a running relationship with a certain university when it comes to the internships, BUT they are always picked through their Business/Accounting club. They they go by recommendations for the professors. Grades will be a tie breaker, but not the first thing they look at.

For jobs, they say they always just keep an eye/ear out there. They invite the business club at the local college and the university up the road to come to dinners during tax season, so they can be acquainted with the practice and the people.

So, suggestion: If your school has any club or group related to what you would like to do for work, Join It! Maybe I should have posted this in the Extra-Curricular thread. :)

message 21: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Lynn, I actually don't know what program my cousin is in. I'll have to find out this weekend when I see my aunt. And I know what you mean I'm kind of a stay with the flow kind of girl!

Tami, that is really great info to have! Thank you so much for passing it on!

message 22: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (silverware) | 436 comments Wow Caiti that is so cool! I really hope to do it. But you know plans get set aside for other plans. I need to keep my eye on my goals. LOL

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily wow guys thanks for all the responses! and Jamie that is a crazy story! definitely a great one to keep in mind! what with the economy being how it is, I feel like everyone I know is pretty desperate for a job, but Craigslist can shady! Good thing you didn't follow through with it.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Here's one kind of like Jamie's:

I called about an ad in the paper for college students who want flexable hours making over $9 an hour. So I went in, had the interview, this really nice guy told me about the job and said after the 30 minute or so interview that he really liked me and wanted me to start tonight... weird, right? I said yes, then he took me into this room and said this is my desk (which wasn't really a desk). He said I would be making phone calls to potential customers and tell them about getting a free blah blah blah of their choice if they blah blah blah this. I said sure, because I thought these were people who were actually interested in this crap. HELL NO. On "my" desk were ripped pages out of a phone book of number from Ohio. I was to start at the top and call everyone. Mark out the ones I talked to, and highlight the ones that didn't answer (we all know telemarketers don't leave messages). I decided then and there I'd be a nice little gal and stay for about and hour (which was all the boss man said for me to stay that day since it was my first day) and then simply never come back. Then it got worse. There was an older lady in the room with me. She said we actually get paid $5.15 an hour and not the $9 the paper said. I just laughed. She thought I was retarded, I think. Then after about 15 minutes of getting cussed at by Ohio peeps, the boss man returns, ushers me out of the room into his "office" (or storage closet). He says one of the other employees is getting ready to come in, and that she's the girl I'm actually replacing. He said she was late today because she got into a fight after school. Yup....mmmhummm. I was waiting to get shanked when this ganster chick walked in. She was cussing up a storm and literally stupid as hell. The bossman then told me to go home, apparently for the fear of me quitting already. Little did he know that yes, people can hit the ignore button when you call. Then he called me with another # and of course, I answered. He was afraid that crazy chick scared me off. I said it was a combination of gangster employees, the lying of the "potiential" customer I was calling, and the lying about my wages. All of these point to SCAM and I think you need to look for a new job yourself before one of your employees starts a fight in your own establishment.

I've never been much for words while angry, but hell.. when I finally answered, I just wanted him to stop calling my cell phone and to leave me alone. And I though, what the hell, there's no reason in the world I should lie to him.

It was an awful night. The only other thing I remember is calling for a Mr. or Ms. somebody and a woman answered and said that was her parents and they were both dead and she said they won't be need any kitchen knives now. I wanted to cry, seriously. I think that's what really ended it for me. Just that one lady because I could tell in Ohio that she wasn't lying.

Crazy world here, girls.

message 25: by Janet (new)

Janet That is the craziest story! I can't believe there are people like this in the world, it's just terrible!

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn OMG Lauren! Was this in Owensboro? What's the name? I really should look into getting a job in Oboro... At Brescia, they have these fliers up about working for the county jail or something which look promising (secretarial type duties)

message 27: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Omg! Lauren that is horrible! I couldn't do that at all! I don't blame you for not wanting to answer!

message 28: by Lauren (last edited Dec 16, 2008 06:51AM) (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Lynn... its in the midtown building. I can't remember what they were called. Something goofy... but there's another scam job here in town too that appeals to college students - Vector Marketing. It's horrible! You can read about it online.

message 29: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I've heard of Vector! When I was job searching last summer I kept running across it.. But it sounded scam-y so I never looked into it.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments We have Vector here too! I set up an interview with them when I was desperate for a summer job last year and then I realized it was a scam so I ditched the interview. They called me everyday for 3 weeks leaving me messages wanting to know why I didn't show up for the interview.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

i am thinking get the act 120 and become a police officer or go for more school for a job in the govt like my dad.

message 32: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
My brother in law is a deputy for the County here. It is a good job. Pay is usually decent and there is job security. Neverending supply of criminals. :) Good luck with that.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

ya i know, but where i live its not as much crime as a big city is but there are alot of drug dealers that come from the big city and that is i think the biggest challenge ever

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) | 425 comments Well I wanted to stay with National City Bank since I already work there as a teller and just get into branch management after I graduate, but we just got bought not too long ago by PNC Bank. So.... I don't know now. Nothing has changed with our bank yet, but it might be harder for me to get a good management position now and heck, I might even get laid off in the near future if they think NCB has too many part time employees. I've heard of that happening everywhere so I'm hoping for the best!

message 35: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I'm totally having a quarterlife crisis. My major is Deaf Studies, so I wanted to be a teacher of the Deaf or an interpreter...but I'm not sure if that's really what I want to do. I'm kind of thinking I want to get a masters in library science and become a librarian, because my passion above all else is books. I don't really want to even leave Barnes & Noble!

message 36: by Bree (new)

Bree (breezybaby) | 144 comments Kelsey..i'm with you..I'm wondering if I am actually wanting to do what I'm going to school to do..hence my new years resolution of figuring out what i wnat to do with my life..

good luck! i'd say..do whatever brings you the most happiness and passion

message 37: by Janet (new)

Janet Kelsey I am the SAME EXACT, almost. I am going for my Special Ed. degree and I am excited for it but I don't know. And I really, if I do get my masters, want to get it in library science. That's so weird! But I am just flowing with the wind and I am sure it will all get figured out at some point!

message 38: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I think none of us really know what we want to do with our lives! It seems like such a final decision. I want to be able to switch things up a little bit!
I'll have to start flowing with the wind too. I'm trying not to worry about it!

message 39: by Sara (new)

Sara (thecrazygal) | 403 comments AAAAAAAH the 'w' word! (Worry) and the 'd' word! (Decisions)

message 40: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Haha.

message 41: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Those are now the two swear words college students shouldn't ever say.

message 42: by Caiti Casey (new)

Caiti Casey Spiess (mrssteven) Ha! I is a kollage stoodent... should not ever say. I have rad grammar skills.

message 43: by Emily (new)

Emily Hey Kelsey, I was kind of thinking of getting a masters in library science after I graduate and becoming a librarian as well. Thats cool that you are majoring in deaf studies, thats a pretty uncommon major. I took ASL in high school, but unfortunately forgot a lot of it.

What if you did something that combined interpreting and books...like a story hour for deaf kids...haha I don't know. Is there such a thing as a special librarian? or maybe a school librarian at a deaf school.

message 44: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I seriously thought about that. I'm like, "Is there some sort of deaf library where I can do storytime or something?" Haha. I don't think there is, but that would be super cool. But a school librarian at a deaf school...now there's an idea!

message 45: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments There are special kinds of librarians, so I bet there is a place for you to do exactly what you want somewhere out there, Kelsey! You should try calling one of the accredited grad schools and speaking to someone in the department to try to find out if they can point you in the right direction for that.

message 46: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (JaymeLyn) I'm going to graduate in May and try and apply to grad school so I can start in Jan...I want to be a librarian

message 47: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (JaymeLyn) Cassi wrote: "My sister is almost finished with her MLS, Jayme, those girls are WILD! It's such a fun group of people, and they're all so dedicated. Good luck to you if that's the way you go!"

Thanks! I'm really excited about it.

message 48: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments Jayme, you'll have to share your experiences with us. I'm totally thinking about getting my MLS, because I think it would be an awesome job! I work at Barnes & Noble right now, but I really want a book related job in the future too!

message 49: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Just found out in class that the IRS is hiring for agents in our area and in Vegas. I know you are all excited about that.

I couldn't imagine telling people what you did for a living. "Yes, I am an IRS Agent." Talk about dull.

There is one guy in our class that thinks he is going to be a lawyer and he drives me insane. He would make a good agent. I think he seemed to be the only one that was interested. :)

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

was is the average salary for an IRS agent?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread