LGBTQA Group Books discussion

Suggestions to Appear in Polls > January 2009 Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Troy (last edited Dec 10, 2008 10:12AM) (new)

Troy | 73 comments Mod
Please post one selection under this topic heading for January. I thought it would be better if everyone could see the choices before the poll. In addition to that, I wanted your January preference to be clearly made, considering some of you have recently listed more than one to-read book in other posts. Just trying to make sure you get the ones you really want on the poll.

And please do not "second" anyone else's choice. Just vote in the poll if something you would have picked shows up before you can suggest it. It just helps keep the thread less cluttered. (Sorry, Scott)

message 2: by Andre (new)

Andre | 7 comments "The Mayor of Castro Street" by Randy Shilts

My pick because I want to read this book before I got watch the new featured film "Milk" by Gus Van Sant.

message 3: by Tom (new)

Tom I'd like to suggest A SINGLE MAN by Christopher Isherwood. Interesting speedy read.

message 4: by Troy (last edited Dec 12, 2008 09:49PM) (new)

Troy | 73 comments Mod
Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin

message 5: by David (new)

David I'd like to suggest An Arrow's Flight: A Novel by Mark Merlis

message 6: by Jay (new)

Jay The Best Little Boy in the World by Andrew Tobias

message 7: by Whitaker (last edited Dec 15, 2008 03:45AM) (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) How about Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman? Or As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann. I'd love to read these with a group.

In the interests of opening things up a bit, here are some books that go beyond the "usual" suspects:
Memoires of Hadrian by Marguerite Youcenar, dealing with the Roman emperor Hadrien, famously homosexual
The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K Le Guin, an interesting examination of a society where there are three genders
Before Night Falls by Reinaldo Arenas

And because while we might BE gay, we're not JUST gay, how about gay authors as opposed to simply gay novels? Not going to put down titles here, but these can be food for thought for subsequent months: Gore Vidal, Virgina Woolf, Yukio Mishima, Quentin Crisp, Samuel R Delaney, Thomas Mann, Adre Gide, Colm Toibin, and Jean Genet (to name a few).

message 8: by Ted (new)

Ted (efcorson) The World of Normal Boys.

(Call Me By Your Name is one of my favs of all time, but i don't think it's very conducive to being "chapterized.")

Ted

message 9: by Troy (new)

Troy | 73 comments Mod
Whitaker wrote: "How about Call Me by Your Name by Andre Aciman? Or As Meat Loves Salt by Maria McCann. I'd love to read these with a group.

In the interests of opening things up a bit, here are some books that..."

Interesting suggestions, Whitaker. Gay authors would be fine too I think. Which one of those books would you like to have in the poll?

message 10: by Troy (new)

Troy | 73 comments Mod
Ted wrote: "The World of Normal Boys.

(Call Me By Your Name is one of my favs of all time, but i don't think it's very conducive to being "chapterized.")

Ted"

I really liked The World of Normal Boys. But I read it not too long ago, so I don't think I'll vote for it. Thanks Ted.

message 11: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) I can't put in all five? LOL!

Okay, then, I'll go with Call Me by Your Name. My copy is on loan from a friend and I'll need to finish reading it soon.

message 12: by Ted (new)

Ted (efcorson) Recently re-read "Call Me By Your Name" (and cried again), so not up for it again so soon.

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (imkevbo) Here's a suggestion, "The Brother's Bishop." An excellent read of two brothers who've returned home following the death of the father.

I think Bart Yates is an amazing writer and I was truly moved by this one.

kev

message 14: by Whitaker (new)

Whitaker (lechatquilit) Ted wrote: "Recently re-read "Call Me By Your Name" (and cried again), so not up for it again so soon."

I'm cool with changing my choice to As Meat Loves Salt. It's all gonna depend on the luck of the draw anyways. :-)