Axis Mundi X discussion

A Day in the Life > 'Atheist' sign stolen from Washington State Legislative building

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) I came across this piece of news about an Atheist sign that was erected next to a nativity scene at the capitol building in Olympia, WA, and I'm wondering what people think about it all. Bill O'Reilly apparently is fuming over it, as well as the Christian Coalition. Is this really something to get so upset about? (The erecting of the sign, not necessarily the stealing of it.) Isn't there something about loving those who would oppose you & not stealing in the Christian creed? Are the Atheists being hateful, or just trying to voice their beliefs? Talk amongst yourselves. :)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/12/05/...

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 1818 comments Mod
It's really pretty funny, here in Olympia. It's just so silly, we can't just have a tree, oh, no! We have to have a manger scene, too! Which is what prompted the atheist sign. AND a menorah, which is going up in a couple of days. Hee!

There was a protest at the capitol building on Sunday, of about 500 people who were upset about the wording of the atheist sign. Why, that's just not RIGHT to have there be wording, as opposed to just a symbol! It was offensive! Who cares about free speech?

The governor isn't all that thrilled with it, but as she explained to the folks upset about the text on the atheist sign, it is covered by free speech, as is the manger scene.

I love Olympia! Everyone is so enthusiastic!

message 3: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) What does FFRF hope to accomplish with the sign? If their aim is to alienate and annoy, well, mission accomplished. If they want acceptance and inclusion in the community-at-large, this is not the way to go about it. There is a big difference between stating your beliefs and declaring that those with opposing views are deluded, enslaved, whatever.

They shouldn’t have put the sign up. It shouldn’t have been stolen. The sign is covered under free speech. Protesting about the sign is covered under free speech. You can say Winter Solstice. I’m going to say Merry Christmas. If we happen to say it to each other, I’m pretty sure our bodies, minds and psyches are strong enough to survive the ensuing idealogical whiplash.

message 4: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) | 3620 comments Mod
I love that sign. It's perfect. I have no problem with people putting up mangers and whatnot... but it's about time that instead of complaining about the religious symbols people just start plastering the world with other points of view. Frikking awesome. I love it when Xtains get their knickers in a wad. It's always entertaining.

message 5: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) My knickers are not in a wad; this is just how I walk.

message 6: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

LMAO!!!

message 7: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

The scene here in Olympia is ridiculous, and earnest, and peaceful, and hilarious.

The protesters protested peacefully, the sign was recovered from a bush outside and put back up, Christian groups have put up THEIR own signs, and the traffic to the Capitol building is bustling to see what all the fuss is about.

Next, we're getting a Festivus pole, which you may remember from Seinfeld, so folks can air their grievances.

The funny just keeps on coming!

message 8: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Happy Solstice, Charissa. I'm with you.

message 9: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

humans are hilarious.

message 10: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) Hey! They should be selling snacks & memorabilia for all the foot-traffic at the Capitol building, then they could use the monies to help the needy who really don't give a damn about any of it cause they are just plain starving.

Seriously, at first I thought the sign was a little harsh against xtians, etc. but I find that I can't entirely disagree with it. I just wish it was a little more festive. Maybe it should have some glitter & twinkly lights? Who can hate that?

message 11: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

atheists. : )

message 12: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) In Japan they put Santa Claus and Mickey Mouse next to each other. To them they're all the same.

message 13: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Bunny: I would just adore an all inclusive holiday display with mangers and menorahs and kwanzaa candles and posadas and Eid collections for soup kitchens and yule logs and also lots of twinkly lights please.

Yes! It's that idea that is making me smile so much about what is happening down at the Capitol. All the diversity that is coming out is awesome. I love it! I want more!

I think if all the groups that are so put out right now could see Eid and Kwanzaa and other groups represented, it might open their eyes that, hey, this isn't just a Christian country, and maybe they should quit complaining when someone says "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas".

And what's going on at the Capitol is the perfect way to do it. Joyfully and peacefully, under the law of freedom of speech. Yippee!

Wassail, anyone?

message 14: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) The only problem with Eid and Kwanza, and probably Chanukah, is that they're made up and I don't think anyone really celebrates them. Why not celebrate the real holiday, which incidentally provides you with the most loot? Aaaahhh? Aaaaahh? Come on, you know you want to.

message 15: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) So you're saying there are holidays that aren't "made up?"

message 16: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Bunny, apparently you missed the most compelling part of my argument. So I will repeat it:

Ahem, "Aaaahhh? Aaaaahh? Come on, you know you want to."

I think this settles the matter.

message 17: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I like the word "loot" in relation to Christmas. I think we're starting to uncover the "real" meaning, at last...

message 18: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Loot! Loot! It's one of those words that sounds really funny when you say them a few times. Like Boniva. Boniva. Try it.

message 19: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Jackie, did you not read the part where I said the matter is closed?

message 20: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

I'm sorry, Rusty. I was distracted by the Aaaahhh? Aaaaahh?s.

message 21: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) He needs to do something about that stammer.

message 22: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) Sheesh! You athiests need to lighten up.

message 23: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Boniva

message 24: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Aaaahhh? Aaaaahh?

message 25: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

since when are Jews atheists? And dude... Hanukah is older than Christmas.

Personally, being a pagan, I have no problem celebrating ALL the holidays. Since every other tradition was stolen originally from my traditions, I feel perfectly justified in stealing them all back. Pretty much that means that I get to party all year long. : )

message 26: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Eid al-Adha is older than Christmas, too, and is part of the Christian tradition. It celebrates Abraham being willing to sacrifice his son at God's request.
God stopped him, by the way. He just wanted to make sure Abraham would do it. That Old Testament God was sure into head games.

message 27: by Charissa, That's Ms. Obnoxious Twat to You. (new)

jealousy makes things unnnnnecccccesssssarilllly complicated.

message 28: by Lori (last edited Dec 09, 2008 04:34PM) (new)

Lori Seattle is sounding more and more staid the more I hear about Olympia! Olympia has a great sense of humor. C'mon the Festivus pole, Festivus for the rest of us.

I heard about this, and inferred that the wording was hateful, but thanks to the link, I read it and don't think it's nasty at all!

And I LOVE that bus ad. Whenever I tell people that Jews don't believe in heaven and hell, we dwell in this life (so let's eat!), people always ask me, then what motivates you to be good if you're not afraid of hell? Wow, um, because being good brings you closer to God (however you think of God), and if you are more of an agnostic Jew, really it is just morally right, ya know? And it feels good too.

message 29: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) :: Pulls the stick out of the hive and watches the bees dance::

message 30: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (last edited Dec 09, 2008 04:58PM) (new)

No, I wasn't kidding about the Festivus pole, KD. Here's the article about it:

Rival religious displays crowd Washington State capitol
Brad Shannon | The Olympian • Published December 06, 2008
More groups are jumping into the fray over religious displays at the Washington state Capitol, drawing continuing attention from around the country.

Three signs that criticize atheism went on display near a Nativity set Friday, the same day someone stole an atheists' engraving that had been placed nearby. The atheists' placard celebrates the winter solstice and criticizes religion as myth and superstition — wording that has enraged some Christians and even irritated Gov. Chris Gregoire.

After State Patrol troopers returned the sign to the Capitol, atheists affixed a biblical "Thou Shalt Not Steal" message to it.

And, the Association of Washington Business held a ceremony with music to dedicate and light the 30-foot decorated holiday tree it sponsors each year in the Capitol Rotunda.

But more displays, protests and other expressions of religious fervor are planned in the next few days. Many appear to be fueled by the airing of national Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly's eight-minute diatribe against Gregoire on Tuesday over allowing the atheist sign near a Nativity scene.

"This could be the last year we even have a Christmas tree up there because of all this trouble. That's what I'm thinking," said Jim Buenzli of Olympia, who works for the state and applied to put up a "Festivus" pole next in the Capitol on Wednesday.

"Festivus" is a mock holiday popularized on the TV sitcom "Seinfeld" in the 1990s. The father of a "Seinfeld" writer had started Festivus, or the "Airing of Grievances," in 1966, but the show's 1997 depiction of it gave it new life.

"People are taking it too serious. I think we need to laugh a little. This is a way to do it," Buenzli said.

The holiday features people eating a dinner, then standing around a bare metal pole to share their grievances with one another, Buenzli said.

Buenzli's request was one of five submitted Friday to the Department of General Administration, including a 2 p.m. Sunday protest against the atheist sign on the Capitol steps. A balloon display also is planned Sunday outside the Capitol, and another Christian display is expected to arrive Monday...

http://www.theolympian.com/living/wir...

message 31: by Lori (new)

Lori Will they have an Airing of Grievances?

message 32: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Oh, I sure hope so, Lori!

Servius  Heiner  | 1980 comments Mod
double standards.

message 34: by Jackie "the Librarian", Cool Star Trek Nerd (new)

Come to think of it, the Olympia folks have started the airing of grievances without waiting for the Festivus pole to actually arrive...

message 35: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Doesn't it pretty much happen year round?

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Jackie, I was just here to say something similar!!

Wouldn't it be nice if the Christians, atheists, and whomever were able to have a National Airing of Grievances in Olympia over all the resentments that have surfaced over this whole thing? But I'm not very hopeful that it would be a mature discourse - more likely turn into a riot.

While I think the atheists in the country have a point, I also think they can be just as self-righteous and assholic as the close-minded Christians who attack them.

message 37: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) Well if we want to get all picky about it, the Egyptians were most probably earlier than the Pagans (of which I claim my holidays), where Dec 25th (or thereabout) they celebrated the Birth of Heru (Horus) the child of Aset (Isis). And then around the Spring Equinox they celebrated the resurrection of Horus & the Coming forth of the Great Ones from the House of Ra. They also celebrated the Festival of Isis that season.

They are all old stories from the earliest time of man... even the Egyptians most likely stole these stories from the Sumarians, and who knows where they evolved from before. I think the whole idea is the spirit of the season, not the particular god/dess to pay homage to.

I always thought Santa was cooler than Jesus (in fact, I thought they were brothers) when I was little. Now, I'm having to figure out how to explain why everyone doesn't believe in Santa to my 7 year old. To her, it's all the same stuff with different names, why argue over that when it should be about presents & giving & loving each other & bringing light in the dark time of year? Kids make it so simple sometimes. :)

message 38: by Cosmic Sher (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) Ugh... wouldn't we all?!!!

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori When I'm tired but still traipsing around running errands, I feel so jealous seeing the littlest ones being wheeled around in their strollers. I want someone giving me a ride too!