SFSU MFA/MA CW Students, Alumni and Faculty discussion

You've got to take this class!

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toshio (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Toshio | 5 comments Mod
Taken any amazing courses you'd like to share with the rest of us?

Uses of Time in Narrative Fiction with Nona Caspers has been a great class for me.

I don't always get what Nona's talking about, but her energy, and the quality of the readings are amazing. Also I've found all her writing prompts conducive to generating quality work.

message 2: by Patti (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:51PM) (new)

Patti | 3 comments Big fan of Nina Schuyler's Advanced Novel Workshop - I just really like her teaching style, so I'm betting that any workshop you take with her would be beneficial. It's a lot of work, but very, very worthwhile. A good combination of the standard workshop format, readings on craft, and short character/story development exercises. Every "exercise" I did in that class has ended up in my novel in some form. The class also culminates in creating a "map" of your novel, which is one of the most useful writing exercises I've had to do.

P.S. Her name's pronounced N-eye-na Sky-ler. I remember the first day of class, someone repeatedly calling "Nina" (N-ee-na) and getting absolutely no response.

message 3: by David (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:54PM) (new)

David | 3 comments I'm bummed that Nina's not teaching the novel workshop next semester. To echo Patti's sentiments (about a different novel workshop with Nina), her Developing the Novel course this semester has been enjoyable and extremely useful.

P.S. I didn't learn how to pronounce her first name until a few weeks ago. I don't think she ever introduced herself by name to my class.

message 4: by A (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:55PM) (new)

A (kellyg1) | 6 comments Has anyone taken Discovery and Development? Any thoughts/advice?

message 5: by Toshio (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:56PM) (new)

Toshio | 5 comments Mod
I haven't, but I've been wondering the same thing. On the website it doesn't say who the course will be primarily focused on does it...?

message 6: by A (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:57PM) (new)

A (kellyg1) | 6 comments I don't think so ... but I've had a lot of trouble navigating the website, so I could be wrong about that.