Building a SciFi/Fantasy Library discussion

questions > During the apocalypse

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rainy (new)

Rainy Kaye (rainyofthedark) | 48 comments Mod
There have been great responses to questions about books which take place either before or after an apocalypse, but what about ones that happen during it?

The Taking by Dean Koontz is one example.
The Silent Box by D.R. Rux (short story) is another.

What else?

message 4: by David P (last edited Mar 19, 2012 06:52PM) (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 5 comments Voyage of the Dead not only happens during the apocalypse, but the timeline says that it is coming in 2 weeks (April 1, 2012). So you can actually read about it in real time...

message 5: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 5 comments Also, Lucifer's Hammer, Alas, Babylon, Trinity's Child, Dawn of the Dead and numerous other nuclear war and zombie books...

message 7: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 5 comments I thought of including On the Beach, but the story takes place months after the nuclear apocalypse. It's just the tail end of it.

message 8: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 5 comments Farnham's Freehold by Heinlein is another one (with a twist). I've read a lot of other types of apocalypse books too, including alien invasions, ice ages, solar flares and novas. It's a rich genre.

message 9: by Louie (new)

Louie (RMutt1914) | 3 comments Cell by Stephen King.
I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it does include the moment that the world goes to crap, and what happens immediately afterwards.

message 10: by Alexa (new)

message 11: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (PirateGhost) And, I'm reading Swan Song and I was totally blown away boy the apocalypse. Swan Song has to be number one on my list of books of the Apocalypse.

message 12: by David P (new)

David P Forsyth (DaidPForsyth) | 5 comments Voyage of the Dead where the timeline of the apocalypse starts on April 1, 2012... Hmm... I'm sure we all hope that this timeline is wrong, but it might be interesting to read it in real time. ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Voyage-Dead-Sov...

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (PirateGhost) Yea, I'm hoping for something Dystopian there, at best.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Flood (other topics)
Swan Song (other topics)
Out of the Ashes (other topics)
The War of the Worlds (other topics)
Voyage of the Dead (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen Baxter (other topics)
William W. Johnstone (other topics)
Octavia E. Butler (other topics)