The Descendants -- Ask Kaui Hart Hemmings! discussion

The Descendants
This topic is about The Descendants
You wrote the novel from a male perspective, did you find yourself thinking at any point 'this is not something I would do, but a man would' whilst writing, or are all of Matt's reflective of your character?

Comments (showing 1-9)    post a comment »
dateUp arrow    newest »

Sonia Jarmula | 7 comments That is really interesting! Were you able to get into creative writing at Sarah Lawrence, or was it mainly other works? What was your biggest surprise when you got into writing, traps such as writer's block or anything like that?

message 8: by Kaui (new)

Kaui | 21 comments Mod
I did my MFA there and it really helped in terms of me receiving feedback on my work and having to really shape the stories so that they felt presentable. It also exposed me to stories I hadn't encountered before. I learned so much just from reading the kinds of things I wanted to one day write.

Sonia Jarmula | 7 comments Oh really, sorry, I must have misread that! How was your experience at Sarah Lawrence, in terms of helping you become an author?

message 6: by Kaui (new)

Kaui | 21 comments Mod
I never studied journalism so I can't answer that:>

Sonia Jarmula | 7 comments That is very good insight Kaui, thank you very much! Do you think that studying journalism helped you in becoming a writer of fiction?

message 4: by Kaui (new)

Kaui | 21 comments Mod
I feel like they evolve together. I don't fully see or realize a character until I have them do something or speak, or interact. For me, actions inform character versus description. Thank you for your comment!

Sonia Jarmula | 7 comments Kaui wrote: "I didn't think too much about Matt King as a man, but as a human responding to this situation. If anything it was easier for me to get into his head then it would to get into say, a mother's chara..."

For Matt and your other characters, in both House of Thieves and The Descendants, they're remarkably well-developed, very unique and they are flawed well, but not overly so. Did you come up with the characters or the story first?

message 2: by Kaui (new)

Kaui | 21 comments Mod
I didn't think too much about Matt King as a man, but as a human responding to this situation. If anything it was easier for me to get into his head then it would to get into say, a mother's character. At the time of writing this I wasn't married, I didn't have children, so I related to his distance. Not having the constraints of truth and experience allowed me to create my own idea of a father and a man.

Cinzia DuBois (CADuBois) | 1 comments Rather a long winded question, but I would love to know her response. I'm always curious if, when a female author writes in a male's perspective, if they actually tweet their own opinions and views to try and match what they perceive would be the opposite gender's opinion.

The Descendants -- Ask Kaui Hart Hemmings!

unread topics | mark unread