Children's Books discussion

Themes, Topics & Categories > Children's Series

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore I have two kids--age 5 and 6. The oldest introduced us to the "Jack and Annie" (really "Magic Treehouse") books. Reading this series proved to keep the kids more interested in bedtime reading, and made the experience more fun for Mom and Dad, too. Since tackling all those available in paperback, we've started reading "Oz" books, and we're planning on reading "Little House" books (read the one I had in the house and have purchased the others).

What series have you all found that are enjoyed by the kids and adults?

Do you complete a series before starting the next, or do you jump around?

Do you buy the books and keep them for the kids to read to themselves later, or are you more inclined to use the library or pass the books on to someone else?

message 2: by Angie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Angie There are a lot of popular juvenile fiction series. You could try Secrets of Droon, Dragon Slayers Academy, Junie B. Jones or A to Z mysteries. Usually you don't have to go in order with the younger series--so jumping around wouldn't cause any issues. The library is the best way to go--you will find a great selection of books--talk to the children's librarians--they are there to help. A series for later on check out Artemis Fowl--on audio if possible. This is one of my favorite series.

message 3: by ABC (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

ABC (mary6543) | 341 comments My son is still a little young for series books. He does like Captain Underpants. We are still pretty much in the picture book stage, though. We don't have a good library near us, so I have to buy them. If I lived near a good library, I'd simply borrow them and then buy only the ones we really liked.

I've got: Magic Treehouse, Junie B. Jones., Ricky Ricotta, Captain Underpants, Fran K. Stein, Marvin Redpost. I want to add to our collection! :-) I bought these books because I felt they would most appeal to my son, but if he had a different personality, I'd be buying Little House type books.

message 4: by J-Lynn Van Pelt (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

J-Lynn Van Pelt The Young Jedi Knight Series is a ton of fun for both kids and adults.

I spend way too much money buying the books because I want them to be available for later reading.

message 5: by Robbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:58PM) (new)

Robbie Bashore Thanks for all of your suggestions. I've added several to my "to-read" shelf.

I tend to be a buyer of books myself. I buy my grown-up books, and I keep thinking my kids will want to read the series books on their own eventually. Plus, I'm afraid I will be too disorganized to get library books back on time.

message 6: by Wags (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:09PM) (new)

Wags Roddy Doyle Slipcase: The Giggler Treatment, Rover Saves Christmas, The Meanwhile Adventures are wacky and fun.

Also, Hank the Cowdog has a ton of books that are good for chuckles.

And Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery, a classic with sequels and a young spin-off series.

message 7: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) The Boxcar Children is one of my favorite books, but I never really could get into the series as a child. It is definitely worth trying though. You will love the first book and I will be anxious to hear if anyone can stand reading more than just one. :)

message 8: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) Oh, and the Romana Cleary series is great! But, beware, I found that when we started reading these my oldest daughter seemed to get a little more mischevious. (At the time, I thought it was all Ramona's fault, but looking back I think her mischeviousness just naturally coincided with her age when we started reading these books)

message 9: by Alice (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Alice Gold (alicewgold) Ramona Quimby (excuse me for my spelling error and the character's last name) The author of this series is Beverly Cleary. oops!

message 10: by John (last edited Aug 25, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

John Huang As a child, I definitely enjoyed anything by Beverly Cleary! A great children's series of today I'd like to introduce is "Becka and the Big Bubble." There are a series of 5 titles where Becka visits different parts of the world!

www.bbbubble.com is their link. Animated versions can also be view on the site!

message 11: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 21, 2007 07:37PM) (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 1 comments I would recommend Stink and/or Judy Moody by Megan McDonald. Stink is Judy's younger brother as well as a younger series than Judy. I did not see Cam Jansen mentioned yet. It also has two levels, Young Cam Jansen as the easier series than just Cam Jansen. They are by David Adler. Henry and Mudge is also fun by Cynthia Rylant.

message 12: by Martha (new)

Martha (sep780) There is always Harry Potter. It's popular w/ kids & adults. If you're kids like mysteries you can also try Nancy Drew & the Bobbsey Twins. There is also a "series" by Madeliene L'Engle that is good. It's about 4 books I think. The first one is A Wrinkle in Time.

message 13: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celestelueck) Try out the Sister Grimm series. These are mysteries about the Everafters(Fairy Tale characters). They are really cute. I've read 2 and I think there are 3 more to go.