Christian Classics discussion

Outside/Inside Survey

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:48PM) (new)

Jeff Fuller (reformedevangelist) | 1 comments First, what book most made you think outside your comfort zone. Next, what book challenged you to think inside the pages of Scripture.

An example for me: "Desiring God" by John Piper really stretched me out of my comfort zone.

"End Times Fiction" by Gary Demar drove my wife and I to read the entire book of Revelation and set us on course for a massive Bible Study to try to figure out what scripture says about the end times.

message 2: by Denton (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:49PM) (new)

Denton | 1 comments "How to Win Souls & Influence People" and "Out of the Comfort Zone" by Ray Comfort really stretched me...in fact when I first tried to read "How to Win Souls..." I couldn't even read it all the way as I was so convicted.

"Scientific Creationism" by Henry Morris is a conerstone for any Christian who isn't sure about evolution and the Bible.

message 3: by Coyle (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:50PM) (new)

Coyle | 3 comments Outside my comfort zone: "I kissed dating goodbye" by Josh Harris myabe me think about how I've been approaching relationships.
Inside Scripture: "Open Letter to Evangelicals" by R.E.O. White made me dig into 1 John.

message 4: by Ken (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Ken | 1 comments "Honest To God" by John A. T. Robinson took me out of my comfort zone in the early sixties as a young man. It made me aware of the many different theological views while in college. It also taught me to read more than one author on the same subject, instead of trusting just one favorite writer as being always right.

"Romans: An Exposition of Chapters 3.20-4.25 Atonement and Justification" by Martyn Lloyd-Jones led me into a study of the atonement which settled my choice of a Biblical view.

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Outside: Treasures of Encouragement by Sharon W. Betters stretched me to look for opportunity to serve women in the church through my Bible study group.

Inside: The Grace of God, The Bondage of the Will, volumes 1 & 2 edited by Schreiner and Ware. I was trying to understand whether I believed the Arminian or Calvinist position of who God is and how He saves. I read books and scoured Scripture for a whole summer before I decided. This work helped immensely.

message 6: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2010 08:08PM) (new)

Laura | 4 comments Anita wrote: "Outside: Treasures of Encouragement by Sharon W. Betters stretched me to look for opportunity to serve women in the church through my Bible study group.

Inside: The Grace of God, The Bondage of ..."

Hello, Anita - so my curious mind wants to know...how did your summer of study turn out? Arminian or Calvinist? Any chance you can recommend other titles on the topic?

message 7: by David (new)

David Outside - Francis Collins' The Language of God - I always thought that if Christianity was true then evolution is false, but Collins' personal and scholarly work showed another way to think.

Inside - NT Wright's Jesus and Victory of God - Made me look at the Gospels in a whole new, fuller and deeper way.

message 8: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) Tricky question:
Most outside the comfort zone Critique of Pure Reason by Kant is always a challenge.

Works of Love by Kierkegaard was a complete joy and should be read by every seminary student.

The Tests Of Life: A Study Of The First Epistle Of St. John - Robert Law gave the book of 1 John plain understanding and good organization.