Viskanta Readers discussion

Things Fall Apart (The African Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Things Fall Apart
Things Fall Apart is less than a story, a fictional one, at least

Comments (showing 1-1 of 1) (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasper (new)

Jasper | 9 comments In “Things Fall Apart,” as you may have heard, the British have come down from Europe and are in the process of converting the clans of Africa to Christianity, and making them forget about their ‘false’ gods that were made of wood and stone. This proselytizing by the British shows how much they were willing to go through for their God, because they believed that he was the only true God. These days, you have to be very careful in what you say to people about religion because people take offense very quickly if you even seem slightly disrespectful. This actually did happen, not only in the book, and very often these tribes were forced to convert to Christianity or face severe consequences. This may not seem very god-like, and I agree, but the missionaries had their minds set in getting new followers, and they would do whatever they needed to to achieve them. Much less a fictional story, Things Fall Apart shows very accurately what happened in the time of Christian expansion through Africa, and it wasn’t pretty. I don’t usually enjoy historical books, but this one I enjoyed quite a bit, and it wasn’t too long, which helped a lot. I look forward to reading other books by this author, Chinua Achebe.

unread topics | mark unread