We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

WLLK Book Club & Discussions > March 2012 Book Club Discussion: Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments yay!! It's finally here!!!

message 2: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments So...thoughts?

message 3: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mbk1857) Nice story but I didn't buy into the magic parts.

message 4: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments Weak tbh.

message 5: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 4782 comments Loved it! I've "read" it twice, the second time as the audiobook. Listening to Tanya Eby do the reading was a good idea. I thought she elevated Lucy, the heroine, from what Megan, in her review, described it as a “palpable sorrow, and quiet dignity.” Ms. Eby made her sound lighter and brighter than I felt about her my first read-through.

message 6: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments And The sister was a nasty piece of work who got what she deserved!

message 7: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Well, I am not sure about this book. I didn't see much point to the magic parts, could have done completely w/o them in the story, they just didn't have a reason to be there IMO. I also felt Lucy was a bit weak, almost needy.

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Gorman | 400 comments Great idea Lisa Kay! After I finish my Cynster novels, I will check out the audio from the library.

I enjoyed RR. I am not a huge fan of the magic parts either.

LK's historicals are my favorites. The books are longer-400 pages or so--and the romance develops.

I felt that the relationship between Sam and Lucy was a bit forced, the pieces fit together too quickly for me.

message 9: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I agree mostly. It wasn't the best I've read by her, but her books will always be written well. While this book possessed magical elements, it did seem that most of the 'magic' that she puts into her characters was missing for most of the book. I did enjoy the ending. I am excited for Alex's book. Now he seems to be a tortured hero!

And I too think I prefer her historicals.

message 10: by Heidi (last edited Mar 04, 2012 03:55PM) (new)

Heidi | 871 comments Oh and I was really annoyed that the H&h and hardly any interaction with one another until a 1/4 of the way thru the book! I was sick of hearing about Alice and all her problems, I didn't care. I wanted to learn about Sam and Lucy! That being said the book is well written, I just was expecting more, or better or something. I MUCH prefer her historicals, and hope to God she will go back to them at some point.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Gorman | 400 comments I loved Sam. He was the character that hooked me. I liked his character in Christmas Eve.

I am loooking forward to Alex's book, too. I hope that the publisher emphasizes his story when the book is marketed.

I am hoping that LK returns to the historicals, too.

message 12: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn (mbk1857) Speaking of publishers, the reason we had to wait so long for LK's next book was because LK had switched to St. Martin's Press. I wonder if they had anything to do with the "magic" parts? You know, like trying to catch the wave generated by "Twilight" and Harry Potter books. If so, such a pity. LK doesn't need all that. I thought those parts were so jarring. It's a good thing she writes so smoothly.

message 13: by MashJ (new)

MashJ | 733 comments The thing is that good magic realism has it spun throughout the whole story, it sprt of lifts the whole narrative onto a different plane. I didn't feel that this novel had that.

message 14: by Amar (new)

Amar | 118 comments The magic aspect didn't bother me much...for me, it was the lack of connection I felt with the H/h. I liked them both but they just didn't sweep me away as a couple.

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi | 871 comments I would have much preferred Sam to come int eh glass studio and kick Kevin's ass rather than magical bats take him away!

message 16: by Lady Heather (last edited Mar 14, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Lady Heather  (_ladyheather_) | 111 comments Just finished..AMAZING!!
LOVE Sam's 'geek speak' and Lucy's love of glass!

message 17: by Bekah, Fellow Kleypasaholic (new)

Bekah (bekah317) | 2750 comments I felt a bit of that way too Amar, but some of it was fixed for me in the end of the book with the airport scene.

message 18: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 828 comments Just finished this book so I know I am several months behind but what the heck. Loved Sam, loved his geekiness. Sam was a solid character. Lucy drove me a little nuts at times. I didn't hate her but I really didn't care that much for her. Really hated the magic aspect, it just didn't fit in. If you leave that part out, you get the same story. Only maybe Kevin doesn't get sent out by flying glass bats (which I thought was really silly). Hopefully Alex and Zoe's story will elevate this series.